Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to contact PCA to show support for 914SIG
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 27 2019, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Sep 26 2019, 09:51 PM) *

I'm not on the National PCA Board of Directors anymore. Just a regular member. But I can tell you it's easier to work with PCA to get to your end goal than trying to start a new club. PCA has a close relationship with the factory and thus have access to better support in many areas. Someone should volunteer to be the 914 SIG Rep and contact John D'Angelo with ideas on how they see a future 914 SIG. PCA is always open to new ideas. Remember, the club's leadership is 100% volunteers. The paid staff is there as support to the volunteers. Financials are very transparent. Most of the surplus goes back to the regions to use as they see fit. You'd be surprised just how lean PCA runs.

I contacted my Zone rep and asked what the thought process behind the elimination of the SIG was. At the very least, he will get back to me, even if he doesn’t give me a definitive answer.
Thanks Manny. I thought you were in a Past President position. I guess that was a year or so back?

My Zone rep is my friend Colin Fat. He responded with this.
ConeDodger
I’d guess the competition he is talking about is us right here at 914World.Com.

I’d assume the solution would be to make our events like West Coast Ramble region based events. You get the club insurance, all they really ask is that you run drives by guidelines which are on the PCA site, a set insurance charge per participant (quite low).
Someone write an article for their newsletter.
I can’t speak for other regions, but I’m a 20 year member and the only time I feel like people wish I wasn’t there is when I do FTD on street tires. Usually, beaten by a 914 with race tires. Zone 7.
preach

contact-john-dangelo

Thank you, your submission has been received.

beerchug.gif
naro914
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Sep 27 2019, 06:05 PM) *

I want to clarify the purpose of this post. Some of the PCA chapters are very welcoming of the 914ers. Mine has been great and has enriched my car ownership experience. We want to make sure others can feel welcome in PCA and having a SIG and an active Advocate will benefit both us and PCA. The benefit to us is the fellowship at our local PCA events and the ability to have 914 only events nationwide that PCA will cover the insurance for. The benefit to the greater PCA is membership. I have offered myself as the Advocate and been in communication with John. I think we are going in the right direction. What I need is for you guys to let him know we are here and want our SIG back. If you haven’t already let him know through the website at https://www.pca.org/special-interest-groups. No threats of cancellation but offers to join or renew will help. Message me if you think this is important or a waste of time because if John passes I want to know how hard to push back.

James, This is awesome! THANK YOU!
And yes, if everyone can turn their frustration and anger into support it will go a long way.
I will reach out to John with my support.
And if you want to talk at all about some of what your getting into (all good) or want any help getting up to speed, please dont hesitate to call me. 704.309.5499. (I think I may still have an old, old list of former 914SIG members too.)
That goes for anyone that wants to help (or just talk cars). Steven Schleif and I had some really good ideas of how we wanted to build the group, we just didn’t have the time to execute on it.
Honestly....being part of PCA leadership is great, no matter what the role. My years as President then Zone 3 Rep were certainly some of the more fun years we’ve had in our Porsche ownership journey. I just could never do the 914 Advocate role justice...

Let me know how I can help.
mathfuzzy
Hi All,

JD here. PCA Special Interest Registries Coordinator. Clearly a passionate group as I've had correspondence with a number of you and scan through this content. Thanks to a number of you for being positive in your communications, not assuming the usual "NARP" sentiment, and for volunteering to take the advocate role for the PCA 914 special interest registry. I'll work to make sure that the PCA Executive Council understand the passion of PCA members who on 914s, the interest in reviving the registry, and, ideally, an advocate who is willing to take on the role and responsibilities associated with it.

Just wanted to ring in and make a couple of things clear. First and foremost, decommissioning the registry had nothing to do with a lack of interest in, passion or respect for the 914. I think it's safe to say that it's the opposite. With the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 914 model year in 2020, you'll see significant coverage and attention devoted to the 914 from PCA.

Decommissioning did have to do with an advocate who, understandably, indicated he didn't have the time and attention to spend on the role. The advocate role, like mine, is predicated on someone being willing to volunteer their time and effort. I'm guessing my volunteer involvement in PCA involves a few hundred hours a year and at least a few thousand un-reimbursed dollars. I, like so many others, do it because I have a passion for the marque and so many of the models it has produced over the years, including the 914.

When I took over responsibilities for the PCA special interest registries a couple years ago, the program had been around for roughly 21 years and had evolved over time. Working with the PCA EC (just to be clear, none of the actions were done in a vacuum or unilaterally) I took a step back to figure out the purpose of the program and how it did and should exist as a benefit to PCA members. What I found was a wide spectrum of size, activity, engagement and purpose among the existing registries. At best, I found a handful of vibrant and active registries with websites or Facebook groups that showed daily activity and moderation, periodic newsletter, and annual gatherings. At worst, no web presence, no social media presence, and no response from the named advocate after several attempts.

In early 2018, after clarifying the advocate role, I reached out to all existing advocates to communicate the new role and responsibilities. At a minimum, it meant that each registry needed either a website or Facebook group...ideally both...to foster member interaction. Several were already doing what I was asking, several pledged and have since met minimum requirements, some tapped out, some did not respond. Bob responded and said he'd try to find another volunteer to take over as advocate. As of the end of 2018, when it was time to take action, nobody had stepped up to take the role so the registry was decommissioned along with several other changes and consolidations.

Having said all of that, my bad for not completing the loop with Bob, and for not connecting the dots to the Octeenerfest subsidy. That was, I can promise, an unintended consequence. Having triple checked with Vu, that event can still be insured through a PCA Region, so hopefully the continued viability of the event doesn't hinge on the lack or presence of a $400 subsidy. And if PCA reinstates the registry it needs to serve a purpose beyond providing a subsidy for a couple of events. Ideally it means there's an active and engaged community of PCA members who own 914s in the form of a Facebook group.

As I said, it's great that there are a handful of people who have raised their hand to volunteer for the advocate position. It's a great start and I'll be working on making sure at least one is up for the role and then with the EC to reinstate the registry. In the meantime, I get it, I don't need more letters. Special thanks to those who have reached out with a civil tone. For the rest, I'm not the enemy. PCA isn't about the money (or if it is, nobody is cutting me in). It's about providing a benefit to members and supporting the passion of a vast number of members.

Thanks again to those who have taken the time to reach out. Again, I get it and I'm on it.

All the best,

JD
Betty
QUOTE(mathfuzzy @ Sep 28 2019, 11:45 AM) *

Thanks again to those who have taken the time to reach out. Again, I get it and I'm on it.

All the best,

JD

Kudos to you JD! It might have felt like walking into the lion's den when you came here and signed up for an account. biggrin.gif

As a 17 year PCA member, thank you very much for coming here and addressing some of the issues that were recently raised. My personal .02 is - that act alone makes me feel better than I was feeling before. I'm a firm believer in "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much" (Helen Keller).

So................... welcome.png

And... what cars do you have (they don't have to be only Porsche). I'd love to see pictures of your car(s) - and maybe even hear part of your 'Car Story" if you feel comfortable sharing! I've got a '74 914 I've owned for 34 years that, now that Okteenerfest 2019 has come and gone, has over 400,000 miles on it. driving-girl.gif
preach
@mathfuzzy Thank you JD for your response to my email.

welcome.png
simonjb
Thanks JD !
SirAndy
QUOTE(preach @ Sep 28 2019, 02:41 PM) *
Thank you JD for your response to my email.

agree.gif
Thanks for your email reply and posting here.

Looks like we'll be able to work this out.
beerchug.gif
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 26 2019, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(preach @ Sep 26 2019, 04:49 PM) *
http://914.pca.org/

I like it here better.

As we all know, the 914 community is thriving... both here and on the many Facebook groups.
If a PCA SIG's existence was based on online activity alone, then there would be very few left...well, maybe only ONE blink.gif
911 SC & Carrera 3.2 - Facebook
911 Carrera 3.0 1976-77 - PCA vB forums, 41 members, inactive
912/912E - Informational site with link to Facebook
924/931 1976-1982 - 924Board.org forum, very active
968 - informational web site, abandoned?
996 - informational site with unused forum
Boxster - PCA vB forums, 3428 members, 123 active members, somewhat active?
Cayman - PCA vB forums, 4487 members, 408 active members, not very active
Early 911 Registry - PCA vB forums, 90 members, 8 active members, basically inactive
GT3 / GT2 / GT3 Cup - PCA vB forums, 3451 members, 315 active members, inactive
PCA Club Coupes - WP site, WP forums, inactive
RS America - informational web site, last updated 11/2018
Wide Body/Turbo Look (M491) - Facebook

Of the three Facebook "groups", two don't look very active at all while the third has minimal activity.
John D'Angelo is Advocate of the PCA Club Coupes SIG (only 60 of those cars produced dry.gif ) and that forum is INACTIVE!!!

driving.gif

I'm a member of the Boxster - PCA vB forums, kinda stopped even going there as it's too lame. Not a lot of activity and ZERO personality. Much rather hang with you guys.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Sep 26 2019, 08:51 PM) *

I'm not on the National PCA Board of Directors anymore. Just a regular member. But I can tell you it's easier to work with PCA to get to your end goal than trying to start a new club. PCA has a close relationship with the factory and thus have access to better support in many areas. Someone should volunteer to be the 914 SIG Rep and contact John D'Angelo with ideas on how they see a future 914 SIG. PCA is always open to new ideas. Remember, the club's leadership is 100% volunteers. The paid staff is there as support to the volunteers. Financials are very transparent. Most of the surplus goes back to the regions to use as they see fit. You'd be surprised just how lean PCA runs.

Yes, and that's why I just renewed my PCA membership last week. We can only make chances from within, quit PCA they will never miss you nor ever know what you could have contributed. Let's work together and with them to make our voices heard.

(Drops mic, steps down and puts soapbox away)
mathfuzzy
QUOTE(Betty @ Sep 28 2019, 12:26 PM) *

And... what cars do you have (they don't have to be only Porsche). I'd love to see pictures of your car(s) - and maybe even hear part of your 'Car Story" if you feel comfortable sharing! I've got a '74 914 I've owned for 34 years that, now that Okteenerfest 2019 has come and gone, has over 400,000 miles on it. driving-girl.gif

My pleasure. And thanks for the nice note, Betty. FWIW, I’ve always appreciated the 914 and would love to go back and buy a clean, original 914-6...when they were $20k...but you can’t go back in time. We currently have 3 Porsche cars in the household - it’s very democratic, front, mid and rear engine cars all represented.

My wife’s graphite blue 718 Boxster (six speed):

Click to view attachment

Our dog’s car is a Macan GTS, and I’m lucky to have one of the 60th anniversary 991 GTS Club Coupe’s (seven speed). (Snap, new to this forum and ran out of space for more pictures on this post...will post the other two in follow-ups...

My first P-car was a 1970 2.2S (yeah, I know, should never have sold that). In between I’ve owned and sold two 993 Targas, a 993 NB Coupe, a 996 4S, and a 997.2 Targa. I’ve pretty much been a Porsche guys since I was 13-ish and still have my original copy of ‘Excellence Was Expected’ that I’ve had for over 30 years. I can’t remember a time in my life that I didn’t love sports cars.

Sorry for the drama here. I can promise you that nobody’s heart was in the wrong place. And with respect to not responding, I think I responded to literally everyone who reached out, but it’s possible that with all the volume an email or two fell through the cracks.

Best,

JD

mathfuzzy
Sorry if this is a forum party foul...

The Macan:
Click to view attachment

And the dog:
Click to view attachment
mathfuzzy
And finally, the GTS Club Coupe.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Well, almost finally. I forgot the GT4 that I owned for about a year and a half and put 10k miles on. Made the 991 feel like a luxury GT and sold it before it landed me in jail.

Click to view attachment
mathfuzzy
Sorry, one last preview for this group courtesy of Vu

Click to view attachment
Betty
QUOTE(mathfuzzy @ Sep 28 2019, 05:57 PM) *

Sorry if this is a forum party foul...

The Macan:Click to view attachment

And the dog:Click to view attachment

There are no party fouls when posting pics of your cars!!! aktion035.gif

Dang you have had/currently have some awesome cars!!! I love the picture of the GTS Club Coupe in front of Alice's Restaurant. Clay (the other half) loves that song and started singing it as soon as he saw the picture.

So, the pup.... looks like a Belgian Shepherd or Malinois but with long hair making them a Groenendael with that coloring (am I even close)? That is an absolutely beautiful picture of him/her (I am SO an animal person). wub.gif
Betty
Also, thanks for posting the notice for Werks Reunion Amelia Island. We received a notification a few days ago and were already making plans to be there to help celebrate the 914!

We really enjoyed our trip to Amelia Island in 2015 when the 914 was one of the celebrated cars and are looking forward to hooking up with everybody there again. beerchug.gif
naro914
John....you sold your GT4? Sorry...you are no longer allowed to post here. That’s blasphemy... lol screwy.gif
Oh yeah... welcome.png
Jamie
QUOTE(mathfuzzy @ Sep 28 2019, 03:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for your response JD, from one JD to another. I would like a clarification about your comment that we would need to form a Facebook group, or whatever they call those things, since I don't do Facebook, and have no intention of ever going there again. We already have an excellent functioning site here as you can obviously see, that serves our communication needs very well. I am a 17 yr. PCA member with my version of fuzzy math, called dyslexia, and became a member because of owning a 914 originally owned by my Father as I mentioned in the message I sent to you recently. I have been a Director in Bluegrass Region for 2 terms and am very active with my excellent local club. They have always been very receptive to my ownership of a 914, and also drive my Cayman or Cayenne on club drives, so I'm no outcast! We are a wonderful example that it is about the people, not the cars. We welcome your participation in our 914World.
mathfuzzy
QUOTE(Betty @ Sep 28 2019, 06:24 PM) *

So, the pup.... looks like a Belgian Shepherd or Malinois but with long hair making them a Groenendael with that coloring (am I even close)? That is an absolutely beautiful picture of him/her (I am SO an animal person). wub.gif

Yeah Betty, Lilly, she’s a Groenendael. The brains of the operation. Don’t tell my wife, but she might be the love of my life. Some better pictures...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mathfuzzy
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 28 2019, 06:38 PM) *

John....you sold your GT4? Sorry...you are no longer allowed to post here. That’s blasphemy... lol screwy.gif
Oh yeah... welcome.png

Yeah, tough call. But after I realized I’d posted 1.34 lateral g’s on mountain road twisters, I realized it was a very bad idea to be hunting for that car’s limits on the street. Intentional or not.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mathfuzzy @ Sep 28 2019, 07:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I had heard that a feature of the 914 was being done so already I am making plans to be at Amelia Island again this year. I was in the coral last year but missed the registration for the judging, so I will be making sure I am registered this year, and if there is a desire to have some 914's on display to represent I would like to offer mine., I am sure they will be looking for some cars to represent different years and models, options, rare colors etc?? please point us in the direction of who to speak to-. Last year there were some beautiful custom 914's on display and several were winners, and I would imagine that this year's 50th celebration should bring a few more out of the wood work!

Thanks for posting here and giving us the explanation and understanding of what was going on regarding the SIG's. Looking forward to seeing you at Amelia and Werks Reunion!.

Phil
Mikey914
So the logical conclusion here is that we as 914 owners and representing World, should plan to attend in mass with our cars biggrin.gif

Think about it. it's a win win. More cars to see and lets show them our colors.

VaccaRabite
I've already got my lodging set up for Amelia this spring.
Trying to talk myself into making the 2000 mile round trip drive in my 914 vs driving the truck or WRX down.

Zach
Betty
Yep, we're going. We were at Amelia Island in 2015 solely because the 914 was one of the featured cars.

Wouldn't miss this one either!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.