Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
I own a 74 1.8 with a single Weber carb. I know its not the best set up but it's what I own. What is the best fuel pump to use for these carbs? I have an electric Facet pump on the car now. Car bogs down in the corners and will not idle or run smoothly when it gets hot. Plugs look good - fluffy tan/brown color. Mechanic said maybe pump is going bad, fuel starvation coming out of corners or when hot. Looking for opinions before I do the start to replace parts and maybe that will cure the problem. Thanks.
Ed
michael7810
Might be good to replace the filter and check fuel pressure first. You should get 2-3 psi while with the engine running. Also, does your system have a separate regulator and/or return line?
Tbrown4x4
I always hated the noise the facets make. If you have to replace the pump, the CB performance rotary pump has been good to me. It hums a bit, but I haven't tried to insulate it and I think the body is touching the trunk wall.
brant
any low volume carb pump will work.
Facet will work fine... they make an annoying rattly noise so most prefer the rotary pumps instead.

cleaning the fuel filter is a good recommendation.... but the single carb intake runners are likely going to still cause the same stumble and hesitations you are experiencing.

you didn't mention which distributor

changing intakes to a dual carb set up with the correct carb distributor will likely be the solution you are seeking.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the facet is good for the money and should be isolated with rubber mounts and mounted low very dependable
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Sep 26 2019, 09:47 AM) *
I always hated the noise the facets make. If you have to replace the pump, the CB performance rotary pump has been good to me. It hums a bit, but I haven't tried to insulate it and I think the body is touching the trunk wall.

agree.gif

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3193.htm

IPB Image

porschetub
Certainly worth checking the filter,also take the top off the carb and check the float level , personally not a fan of these pumps but they do rattle away for a long time so maybe it is just filter or float level.
I think these carbs also have a fine plastic filter on the inlet,most don't clean them or know they are there.
Good luck.
EJP914
Many thanks to all for the replies. I had figured to start with the filter. Hasn't been changed for years.
Yeah the Facet makes an annoying sound. I've gotten used to it.
In response to the one question asked, no I do not have a return line running back to the tank (if that is what was being asked?) nor do I have a pressure regulator installed. Always heard you did not need much fuel pressure for a single carb to work and I thought t he Facet would do the job. The fuel pump is located where the factory FI pump was installed.
I will check the carb further as suggested by our friend in New Zealand. Didn't know those things existed.
Thanks again.
Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.