Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel socket size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Steering wheel main nut socket size, does anyone know off hand the size?, I need to buy this socket, don't have one that big. My 19mm is not even close, guessing 24-27mm
Thanks if you know.
bdstone914
QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 28 2019, 07:26 AM) *

Steering wheel main nut socket size, does anyone know off hand the size?, I need to buy this socket, don't have one that big. My 19mm is not even close, guessing 24-27mm
Thanks if you know.

27mm.
mepstein
When you remove the wheel, unscrew the nut all but a couple threads, pull the wheel loose. Keeping the nut on with a couple threads will prevent you from catching the wheel in your face if it lets go quickly.
brcacti
Thanks to all that replied with information, it helps as I am not a mechanic but do many small things on the car. I am going to put the stock wheel back on for two reasons, to keep it stock and to see the speedometer better. smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
1 -1/16" iirc
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 28 2019, 11:00 AM) *

1 -1/16" iirc

Yup, even though I am a metric head, I always say inch and a sixteenth, and keep that size in my home tool box
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 28 2019, 08:15 AM) *

When you remove the wheel, unscrew the nut all but a couple threads, pull the wheel loose. Keeping the nut on with a couple threads will prevent you from catching the wheel in your face if it lets go quickly.

BTDT av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 28 2019, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 28 2019, 08:15 AM) *

BTDT av-943.gif

Lots of people have including one of our young shop guys who tried to pretend it didn't happen.

Another tip. Don't use the steering lock for leverage to torque against. The best way to remove a tight nut is with a rattle gun.
brcacti
Mepstein.............thanks, I did hear that before but good to remind in case some don't know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.