Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle body butterfly EDIT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kroelofsen
Hello,
I'm working on the engine of my 914 1.8 from 12/73 (L-jetronic). The butterfly of the trottle body is very sticky and I want to replace it. I searched the internet and was not able to find such VW part...

Any ideas were to source this part in Europe...?

Many thanks.

Butterfly partno.: 022.133.141A

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the replies and shared info... I already took the TB apart and cleaned is. The bearings and seals seem not bad. See below pic what I believe causes the sticking, a ridge has formed over the years. The butterfly sticks on this ridge (IMHO).

Click to view attachment

So some kind of honing of the bore and a new butterfly...?
bdstone914
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Sep 30 2019, 07:52 AM) *

Hello,
I'm working on the engine of my 914 1.8 from 12/73 (L-jetronic). The butterfly of the trottle body is very sticky and I want to replace it. I searched the internet and was not able to find such VW part...

Any ideas were to source this part in Europe...?

Many thanks.

Butterfly partno.: 022.133.141A

Have you tried to squirt penetrating oil into the bushings of the shaft for the butterfly? If you do need the take it apart the butterfly screws are flattened in the ends to prevent them backing out. You need to grind them down to not ruin the shaft when they are removed. I doubt the butterfly is the problm unless it is damaged.
mepstein
agree.gif I would rebuild the unit. Find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner and you might be able to get away with not taking the unit apart.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
typical, the 1.8 only is the only throttle body of the three that begins to stick, and it is a hassle as one has to "break it loose" each time one steps on the gas pedal. A machine shop should be able to rebuild it for you . We sold our last new old stock one about two months ago, and the many used we have here probably all stick
Bartlett 914
I have had luck rebuilding these
brant
how does the machine shop rebuild it?

I have a 2.0 that is sticky... runs fine, but after sitting a couple of days I too have to break it free with my throttle foot after every idle or stop light... then after a little use of 10-20 miles... its good until it sits again in the garage for a week.

I could pull it and even pull the butterfly to clean myself. but when they rebuild these I assumed they did shaft bushings/bearings etc. ?
sholman5
Check the vendors section. Whip618 does rebuilds.
brant
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Sep 30 2019, 10:22 AM) *

Check the vendors section. Whip618 does rebuilds.

those remanufactured TB's look super nice
not cheap at 340$

has anyone DIY's the sticky butterfly problem successfully?
its something I have just lived with for a while and like I said, its not annoying after 5minutes or so...
jim_hoyland
Interesting: my original TB never stuck, when I replaced it, sticking began. So I keep a can of silicon lubricant in the truck and spray the TB each time I fill up. No more surprise revs.... smile.gif
sholman5
Stronger return spring.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 30 2019, 11:03 AM) *

how does the machine shop rebuild it?

I have a 2.0 that is sticky... runs fine, but after sitting a couple of days I too have to break it free with my throttle foot after every idle or stop light... then after a little use of 10-20 miles... its good until it sits again in the garage for a week.

I could pull it and even pull the butterfly to clean myself. but when they rebuild these I assumed they did shaft bushings/bearings etc. ?

That depends on the amount of wear. The shaft is a steel on aluminum surface without lubrication. For this reason, the shaft bore in the TB wears in an oval condition. This causes the plate to lock in place. After awhile the bore for the plate wears a groove and makes the condition worse. In this case, the large opening needs to be machined and a net plate made to match.
I bore the shaft hole and insert a bushing. It is tricky because it needs to be precision and aligned correctly. Not a DIY project.
rjames
A couple of threads containing mention of someone that completely rebuilds TBs. Looks like he re-bores them and supplies a new butterfly to compensate for the wear.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=299312&hl=

And:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=TB+samba
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.