Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: center console clock solution at last
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes yes yes still waiting for the bulk to come in, our guys in india cannot tell time

QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 7 2020, 09:22 AM) *

Hey George confused24.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
they were pretty quick to deliver the volt meter, the oil pressure gauge, the oil temperature gauge and the duplicate 200 c sending unit. have at least a hundred of each in stock of those, the factory sized oil pressure gauge was a real accomplishment as before we all had to suffer with the small vdo unit and add a spacer ring
914werke
confused24.gif
Rikyrat
I want one too!!!!!
CHIZ 914
Would order one too,. but didn't want to wait 6 months for these to maybe show up
The good news my clock is correct twice a day now
914werke
poke.gif and its now March 2020 dry.gif
914werke
...and now April dry.gif chair.gif popcorn[1].gif
914werke
dry.gif MAY 2020 & no update
JOEPROPER
I'm interested too... but.. popcorn[1].gif
kid914
These still available?
yellowporky
i called AA to check status in beginning of March to check on my order and was told that these were being made in India and the factory was closed for now.
I did get the volt and oil temp already just not the clock.
914werke
JUNE sad.gif
rjames
I might have gotten the only one.

I'll sell it for one million dollars.
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
July....
914werke
dry.gif august ...counting down to a year of waiting
rgalla9146

Gees, you must be getting apologies every week, no ?
I hope you haven't paid for it, have you ? sad.gif
rjames
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 7 2020, 10:09 AM) *

yes yes yes still waiting for the bulk to come in, our guys in india cannot tell time

Anyone else see the irony here?

QUOTE(914werke @ Aug 3 2020, 02:31 PM) *

dry.gif august ...counting down to a year of waiting

Maybe they can't use calendars either.
porschetub
QUOTE(kid914 @ May 4 2020, 10:26 AM) *

These still available?

Can't see much coming out of India for the foreseeable future....things are really bad there sad.gif .
rjames
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 3 2020, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(kid914 @ May 4 2020, 10:26 AM) *

These still available?

Can't see much coming out of India for the foreseeable future....things are really bad there sad.gif .

Very good point. For 30 blessed minutes I actually forgot about covid. Doesn't explain the delay pre-covid, but definitely explains it post.
914werke
@dr914@autoatlanta.com
George Its been almost a year since you last updated this ... wacko.gif
TX914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 7 2019, 02:16 PM) *

Funny, when I was a kid, just loved the center console in a 914 gave it a nice vertical dimension and a luxurious look and feel. NOW in my old age, I just love the simplicity of the center tray and cushion and sea to shining sea (I mean rocker panel) emptiness and massive foot and leg room

Same as @dr914 @autoatlanta.com, I used to love the console look but as I grew older I began to see it as a pain as it had to be removed whenever access to cables or shifter was required and now I like the look without it. It's much more spacious and air circulation is better. What I'd really like a a horizontal holder for these 3 gauges under the dash. I think VDO used to make one but long since gone. A tray just around the shifter in original material (same size as original piece) would also be nice. Been looking at how to make my own.
914werke
2021 chair.gif
Spoke
Will the group buy price of $49 still be honored?

Or is this a dead issue?
Rob-O
At this rate, you could’ve put the amount this cost into the stock market, then cashed put and used the proceeds to have Palo Alto modify your clock to a digital setup (using the stock face of course) and still had money left over for a couple nice steak dinners with the wife!
scottthephotog
Wow. I thought about getting one at the group but price and I'm glad that I did not. What a mess.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
finally on the way, covid shut down india as everyone knows
Coondog
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 5 2021, 11:48 AM) *

finally on the way, covid shut down india as everyone knows

Then I guess it’s true !!
Click to view attachment
Movin6
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 1 2019, 01:28 AM) *

I’m in (and already wondering if I can swap faces on it with my original clock face so it says vdo on it)

Great that this is an option! Thanks all that contributed. Has anyone done the "Clock Face Swap" with an original to have the VDO mark? Curious about the procedure and any pitfalls. How does the final look compared to original? If the bezel is different, can the original bezel also be attached?
Porschef
If anyone has a decent defunct factory clock left over after buying one of these that they don’t need, I’d be interested in purchasing. I have a movement left over that may work.

TIA, Joe beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Hartmut at palo alto went up to 300 each to restore the factory ones!!! Says he can no longer get the parts cheaply

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 19 2021, 08:52 AM) *

If anyone has a decent defunct factory clock left over after buying one of these that they don’t need, I’d be interested in purchasing. I have a movement left over that may work.

TIA, Joe beerchug.gif

Rob-O
Actually just called Palo Alto and the cost is now $695 to repair/modify the clocks. By modify they said they can't get parts for the older 914 style clocks so they have to update them to the later style...and that price is $695.
914Sixer
Found the correct matching Audi clock movement and repaired mine for $100.
Rob-O
Hey Mark, please share. WHICH Audi clock?
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 24 2022, 05:54 PM) *

Found the correct matching Audi clock movement and repaired mine for $100.

Mark, can you share the info on the Audi clock movements? Thanks buddy

beer3.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Mar 24 2022, 01:24 PM) *

Actually just called Palo Alto and the cost is now $695 to repair/modify the clocks. By modify they said they can't get parts for the older 914 style clocks so they have to update them to the later style...and that price is $695.

My clock was $800. For the full rebuild

Bob BClick to view attachment
Rob-O
I received mine from Automobile Atlanta yesterday. Things I’ve noticed so far:

1. The fit in the console is pretty darn close if not perfect.

2. The gauge face isn’t as smooth as the original VDO unit that was in my center console.

3. The bezel doesn’t have the exact sharpness to the raised angle. I’d have to snap a photo of this for it to make sense.

4. The gauge face seems just a little too small (or maybe set back just a little too far in the gauge). This causes you to see just a little of the inside of the can when the lights are on.

5. The light bulb on the back has two spades (one positive, one negative) where my original clock just had a positive lead to the bulb. It used the bulb housing touching the can of the gauge as the ground. Easily rectified by using a different light socket or piggy backing to the ground lug on the gauge.

6. The knob on the front has a little more play in it than the stock unit. So when setting the time you’re playing a little bit of ‘find the hole’ when making a time adjustment.

7. It came with a new bulb and bulb holder…as well as the rubber ring to hold in on the center console.

Points 1-6 above are me being super nit-picky. This is a really nice unit. What I really want to do is be able to put my LED light strip into the back of this thing…the same way Timothy did when I sent my gauges years ago. So at some point the ring will need to get removed to do this. I’m not looking forward to that at the moment. I’ve placed two orders from Auto Atlanta since 1989, when I started my boycott. This is the second order. When I ordered the guy I spoke with knew exactly what I was looking for. Placing the order was a breeze. The item was packed very well and actually got here a day earlier than USPS said it would.

Overall I think anyone looking for a clock is going to be happy with this unit. Thanks George for making this part.

PS. Forgot to mention but of course the gauge doesn’t have Porsche part numbers at the very top of the gauge face. It also doesn’t say VDO where the Quartz-Zeit labeling is.
Rob-O
Pics attached.
PDXBob
I installed the replacement clock as well, but having issues illuminating the face. Can’t see the clock at night. Tried tons of different bulbs, but none seem to solve this problem. Any advice or has anyone found a solution?
BobT.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.