Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Really nice six for sale over on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
Although I agree that the six market is currently flat ( as is the high end 911 market), it does appear to be at least very healthy.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-21/

I have not looked critically at the pictures of this car, but it looks really nice and has exceptional documentation

Let’s see where it goes
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Should go for over 100. Certainly over restored (that is a good thing!!!!!!!) and someone will get an exceptional car with this one. far beyond the normal restored six

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 1 2019, 06:21 AM) *

Although I agree that the six market is currently flat ( as is the high end 911 market), it does appear to be at least very healthy.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-21/

I have not looked critically at the pictures of this car, but it looks really nice and has exceptional documentation

Let’s see where it goes

Cairo94507
Very nicely done indeed. Someone will get a nice Six. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
I predict $105
Tbrown4x4
Looks like he is or was a member here. It's on the VIN list.
Jamie
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 1 2019, 06:20 AM) *

Very nicely done indeed. Someone will get a nice Six. beerchug.gif

Wow, previous owners have spent a ton of money keeping this six in like new condition! I'd be afraid to drive it and get it dirty! first.gif
SKL1
Like I said in the comment section at BAT, it is almost TOO nice. You'd be paranoid to actually drive it!! But, DAMN it is nice.

Curious if it will hit reserve...
horizontally-opposed
Looks like a very, very nice car—and is beyond clean. Garage pics bode well, too, as it's pretty clear that this was a very special car to its current owner. Always nice to see that.

Only things that stood out to me as ?? were vinyl adhesion issues with the basketweave on the dash and then the grain on the vinyl on the upper part of the dash (just below the windshield), which looks like the same vinyl is on the backpad, seats, and door panels, too?

Was glad to see the engine lid under the grilles painted black, and the front strut towers too. 2.2 S with Solex cams is probably very nice, and built on the original case, too...a kind of invisible upgrade.
porschetub
agree.gif Pete,appears the non-original mods to the engine have hurt the value by nothing,I noted the things you pointed out,as a seller I would ditch the rainhats and put a decent air cleaner such as the original supplied with the car,factory air cleaners are very efficient.
Final price will be interesting popcorn[1].gif .
rgalla9146
Beautiful car. Beautiful presentation. Great documentation.
Mike Fitton
Can't believe this 6 is kicking my cars but!
Dr Evil
I love how it always ends up that the transmission was ignored, or at least not barely mentioned, "Power is sent to the rear wheels via a five-speed manual transaxle" and that is it. Seems everyone only cares about the engine, but not how the power gets to the ground. rolleyes.gif At least the gear box is clean. Nice car, and I grew up mostly in La Mesa and live a few hours from Findlay. Small world.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The car has the incorrect grained smooth vinyl installed. 71 style naugahyde instead of the german pebble grain. PLUS all upper dash vinyl grains were the same, the smooth 911 style. This cars upper dash is 71 naugahyde

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 1 2019, 09:46 PM) *

Looks like a very, very nice car—and is beyond clean. Garage pics bode well, too, as it's pretty clear that this was a very special car to its current owner. Always nice to see that.

Only things that stood out to me as ?? were vinyl adhesion issues with the basketweave on the dash and then the grain on the vinyl on the upper part of the dash (just below the windshield), which looks like the same vinyl is on the backpad, seats, and door panels, too?

Was glad to see the engine lid under the grilles painted black, and the front strut towers too. 2.2 S with Solex cams is probably very nice, and built on the original case, too...a kind of invisible upgrade.

Jett
The car is amazing car but are the door mirrors correct?
mepstein
QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 2 2019, 10:54 AM) *

No. The should be the smaller, right angle ones.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 1 2019, 11:19 PM) *

agree.gif Pete,appears the non-original mods to the engine have hurt the value by nothing,I noted the things you pointed out,as a seller I would ditch the rainhats and put a decent air cleaner such as the original supplied with the car,factory air cleaners are very efficient.
Final price will be interesting popcorn[1].gif .

Entirely agree on the engine mods to an other wise original 914-6. Who really wants a 2.0T with 110hp? So I see zero downside to engine mods so long as the engine is built on its original case, the mods are "invisible," and no external oil cooler is required. That makes for a pretty narrow band up to 2.2 S to meet those conditions, but there are a number of nice engines in that range. 2.0 S with short gears, 2.2 E or T (or, for that matter, 2.4T or E?), and 2.2 S.

2.2 S with Solex cams is a great setup, very close to what I have. The Solex cams sacrifice some of the top-end scream for a really nice torque curve—which makes the engine feel a lot bigger than a 2.2. More like a 2.7 or 3.0, bizarrely. Do miss that top-end scream, however…

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 2 2019, 07:03 AM) *

I love how it always ends up that the transmission was ignored, or at least not barely mentioned, "Power is sent to the rear wheels via a five-speed manual transaxle" and that is it. Seems everyone only cares about the engine, but not how the power gets to the ground. rolleyes.gif At least the gear box is clean. Nice car, and I grew up mostly in La Mesa and live a few hours from Findlay. Small world.

^ Too true. People talk about engines endlessly, but the standout feature of the best 914 I have ever driven—from a fun-factor perspective—wasn't its engine...it was its 901 with short gears and LSD.
https://bringatrailer.com/2011/11/21/bat-ex...-porsche-914-6/

That gearbox was brilliant on back roads, and I hope to replicate it one day. Wish I knew which gears it had.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 2 2019, 07:04 AM) *

71 style naugahyde instead of the german pebble grain. PLUS all upper dash vinyl grains were the same, the smooth 911 style. This cars upper dash is 71 naugahyde

So '71 914-6s had this pattern on their vinyl? Reminds me of the vinyl on my Scheel seats, which I don't love but don't hate. Just looks odd to me everywhere...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 2 2019, 05:16 AM) *

Beautiful car. Beautiful presentation. Great documentation.

Fully agree. It's easy to nit-pick, but it's pretty clear the seller loved this car—which isn't always apparent with a lot of cars that come up for sale.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 2 2019, 08:32 AM) *

Here to learn.

The interior rearview mirror looks like a later one, but what's wrong with the driver's side mirror? Always forget whether the right side was optional in period, or merely easy to add (I know the latter is true).
Dr Evil
https://bringatrailer.com/2011/11/21/bat-ex...-porsche-914-6/[/url]

That gearbox was brilliant on back roads, and I hope to replicate it one day. Wish I knew which gears it had.

Its in the post you listed, " The transmission was rebuilt by Bernie Buschen (Seattle area Porsche expert) with custom short gears (A, F, Ka, Q, X) and a GT torsion limited slip differential. Ive done some of these, not hard. Easier and actually standard gearing in many boxes ia A, F, M, S, X for short gears. X suuuucks on the freeway.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 2 2019, 09:01 AM) *

Its in the post you listed, " The transmission was rebuilt by Bernie Buschen (Seattle area Porsche expert) with custom short gears (A, F, Ka, Q, X) and a GT torsion limited slip differential. Ive done some of these, not hard. Easier and actually standard gearing in many boxes ia A, F, M, S, X for short gears. X suuuucks on the freeway.

Dude, many thanks. Note sure how I missed that...and yes, the one gear I would not want to change is my stock 5th, as I'd like to have something for freeway hauls. I suppose that will make the gap to fourth not great, but I can live with that.

Again, thanks! smilie_pokal.gif
Garland
Beautiful car, but missing the target on historically correct details. Interior materials, mirrors, and fasteners. Very hard to assemble a car period correct unless you’ve owned that complete car., and are personally capable and knowledgeable, and willing to take the time to refurbish it correctly.

horizontally-opposed
Quality of paint (hard to fix) would outweigh some details I could work over time. Redoing the interior vinyl would be another question entirely...as it looks like this was done well. Curious if stampings look okay per other examples? At this price point, I'd also want to see the other body stampings, at the RF inner fender and trunk.
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 2 2019, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 2 2019, 08:32 AM) *

Here to learn.

The interior rearview mirror looks like a later one, but what's wrong with the driver's side mirror? Always forget whether the right side was optional in period, or merely easy to add (I know the latter is true).

The early side mirrors have a sharp, right angle arm and a slightly smaller mirror glass.
Early interior mirrors are narrow.
Cornerlot
The gearbox in my -6 was updated with AA, F, M, S, Y years ago, and I rather like it. We try to keep it to 70mph on the freeway with 225/50/R16 tires; any more seems like abuse.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 2 2019, 12:01 PM) *

Dr Evil
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 2 2019, 12:42 PM) *

Quality of paint (hard to fix) would outweigh some details I could work over time. Redoing the interior vinyl would be another question entirely...as it looks like this was done well. Curious if stampings look okay per other examples? At this price point, I'd also want to see the other body stampings, at the RF inner fender and trunk.

Thats normal stamping on the tranz.
AHudson
Hello All, that is indeed my -6 on BAT. I have learned a ton on this very site, bought parts from you very folks, and leaned on expertise from any source it appeared.

The great thing about that car is that it wasn't some orphaned, abandoned, discarded car in a field... ever. It was coddled and documented from Day 1 as if it would reach this day, appreciated as it is. All owners understood this lineage, and thankfully preserved and revered it. I can't say I have ever seen or known of a car like this in my multi car past.

The incidentals of the vinyl or screw heads can be dealt with accordingly, but now we're down to the final .0005% or whatever it may be, and that could be rewarding for someone to do later.

I also took concessions with stainless steel fuel lines (a rather unpleasant job with pleasant results) and the acid free battery, along with various sensitively-chosen other bits. It was all an effort, heading toward a reward and a goal. I've got the scars and chiropractor bills to prove, plus a rather impressive number of orders from our friend Dr. George 914.

I must say - though my wife looks at me with 'that' look when I say this - it was fun.

No, it wasn't fun the day my mechanic peeled out pissed off over some detail we had to redo. It wasn't fun when a guy on 'another P car site' decided my money was more important than the part he never had. It wasn't fun when a jack stand started mysteriously creeping toward the edge of never and the car had to be gingerly coaxed back to Mother Earth. It was way less than fun when the re-installed motor had a leak in an unreachable location and had to come back out.

Yet we do this because we're crazy. And if the above wasn't fun, tell me all the worthwhile pursuits and outcomes you've had that were easy? I come up with 'zero'.

This site helped alleviate much of the pain, the strain, that led to the gain of this fine piece. Thanks again.

You are hereby encouraged to bid like a crack-snorting wild man with an unlimited budget on a quest to own a great 914-6!
Jett
QUOTE(AHudson @ Oct 2 2019, 10:53 AM) *

Hello All, that is indeed my -6 on BAT. I have learned a ton on this very site, bought parts from you very folks, and leaned on expertise from any source it appeared.

The great thing about that car is that it wasn't some orphaned, abandoned, discarded car in a field... ever. It was coddled and documented from Day 1 as if it would reach this day, appreciated as it is. All owners understood this lineage, and thankfully preserved and revered it. I can't say I have ever seen or known of a car like this in my multi car past.

The incidentals of the vinyl or screw heads can be dealt with accordingly, but now we're down to the final .0005% or whatever it may be, and that could be rewarding for someone to do later.

I also took concessions with stainless steel fuel lines (a rather unpleasant job with pleasant results) and the acid free battery, along with various sensitively-chosen other bits. It was all an effort, heading toward a reward and a goal. I've got the scars and chiropractor bills to prove, plus a rather impressive number of orders from our friend Dr. George 914.

I must say - though my wife looks at me with 'that' look when I say this - it was fun.

No, it wasn't fun the day my mechanic peeled out pissed off over some detail we had to redo. It wasn't fun when a guy on 'another P car site' decided my money was more important than the part he never had. It wasn't fun when a jack stand started mysteriously creeping toward the edge of never and the car had to be gingerly coaxed back to Mother Earth. It was way less than fun when the re-installed motor had a leak in an unreachable location and had to come back out.

Yet we do this because we're crazy. And if the above wasn't fun, tell me all the worthwhile pursuits and outcomes you've had that were easy? I come up with 'zero'.

This site helped alleviate much of the pain, the strain, that led to the gain of this fine piece. Thanks again.

You are hereby encouraged to bid like a crack-snorting wild man with an unlimited budget on a quest to own a great 914-6!

I feel your pain smile.gif

Great car!
rgalla9146
The interior vinyl is similar to '71 but not the same. '71 is shiny.
Both are 'one year only' interiors
Mike Fitton
WOW! Sold for $125k.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 3 2019, 11:46 AM) *

WOW! Sold for $125k.

dance.gif rocking nana.gif party.gif girlboing.gif monkeydance.gif piratenanner.gif yikes.gif

PLUS FEES!!!!

Yikes!!!
raynekat
Seems right on the money for that car.
Mike Fitton
Fees are capped at $5k luckily!!
Maltese Falcon
My 918 bud was still in when in the $97,000 range. He asked what I thought on winning the deal; my advice was $125,999.99 in the last 3 min. He didn't take my advice
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a very clean over restored car, personally examined it when it was in our shop for tuning and oil leaks and several other things
ConeDodger
I logged on with 2 minutes to (over and over). I was not aware it resets to 2 minutes each time there is a bid.

Nice car.
rgalla9146
Long term ownership, documentation, window sticker and fit and finish set this car apart.
Those are all aside from a great color and pleny of correctness.
I have few issues.
The painted trans is a unfortunate.
A great car.
Dion
Well done Mr AHudson. I wouldn’t complain if it was in my driveway.
Enjoy Florida and the all the best to your Mrs.
burton73
$125,000 plus. The price of Porker today for a really nice 6

Bob B w00t.gif
banananose914
Thought provoking to say the least. Seller's market?
horizontally-opposed
To say the least, indeed... unsure.gif

horizontally-opposed
horizontally-opposed
SKL1
That '74 Carrera seems like a hell of a buy!

(Pete- was that eldery lady in the wheelchair in the back of the panel discussion on Saturday the owner of the silver 914?)
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 3 2019, 10:37 PM) *

That '74 Carrera seems like a hell of a buy!

(Pete- was that eldery lady in the wheelchair in the back of the panel discussion on Saturday the owner of the silver 914?)

It really does, doesn't it? Front trunk fit looks a bit dodgy, but maybe it isn't closed or something. Otherwise, that seems like a wildly good deal on a 74 Carrera.

And she was indeed—101 years old, and just super cool. Very nice family, too!
914werke
@AHudson Beautiful car! It looks like you were the correct owner ...at that time.
Tomsaver has another outstanding car in his stable.
I guess its coming to the PNW.
If i'm lucky it may turn up in the Werke shop!
But it sure doesn't look like it needs anything ~
914werke
idea.gif
AHudson
Thanks for the positive comments. It was a great car, and TomSaver will be a wonderful caretaker from here.

@horizontally-opposed , that's an excellent compilation of cars for sale. I can see some are 'equal value points' that would make a person question where the value lies within. Others are just plain good buys.

Funny thing about value over time. A couple days after the 14-6 sale, a friend offered a '12 997 TT 'S' with 21k miles for about 40 grand less than the 914. How is that even possible?

Anyway, I'm in dispersal mode. I've had my toys, and serious fun with them. I'm pretty much 'out' of having more than 4 or more at a time, since that's my number of needy mouths, tires, batteries to obsess over. It feels kinda good to be down to what I can see and deal with in one glance!

@914werke , man I hope that car in that gorgeous color finds a suitable home! Tom has doubtless learned to love the platform from that car. The Tangerine dream will only take that to a new level. (Or so one hopes!) And worry not - it's a 50 year old Porsche, it'll need you soon enough!

Thanks very much for your kind comments!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.