Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off topic. 944
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
Thinking of buying a 944. Any advice is appreciated. What is the best year? Obviously, looking at turbo models. I know this vehicle has a crazy timing belt schedule.
michael7810
Buy the best one you can afford. The Turbo S and 88+ models have more power and sport suspension and you pay for it. Maintenance history is important. Timing belt, water pump, clutch, engine mounts, rod bearings (if tracked) are maintenance items that are pricey especially if you don’t do it yourself. LSD and sport seats are desirable options to look for.
theer
agree.gif

Timing belt is crucial to do early & often, but not terribly hard to do (Lot's of guidance out there). The clutch on the other hand is a gigantic PITA job, so adjust accordingly for a car needing a clutch.

The 1998 Turbo S and 1989 Turbo are essentially identical (there was no Turbo S in '89). They have the increasingly rare "AOR" transmission, which had improvements to handle the higher horsepower (hardened bits inside, as well as factor LSD and external oil cooler). These are popular for the LS1 conversion crowd (which includes me).

There were big changes mid '85, so you'll see 85.1, 85.2 references or 85.5 for the later style. I prefer the esthetics of the later style interior (dash, etc.)

The Turbo first came out in 86, so they are all the "late" style interior.

In '87 there was a big change in the offset of the wheels (to allow for ABS?). The variety of early offset wheels is limited, but they overlap with early 911's. Late offset wheels are more plentiful (including cheaper aftermarket), and overlap with Boxster etc.

944 is a great little car. Both my sons had/have one (non-turbo) as their high school DD.

Mikey914
Look out for torque tube "wine" It's a sign the bearings need to be replaced. In the turbo, you might as well change the clutch while you are there cause it's a booked 20 hour job to remove in install the torque tube.
Buy the best you can afford. If not a turbo S2 in nice but with the balance shaft and cam belts it's more work to change out belts and pulleys. I've had a 86 and an 87. The 87 had the dual air bags and was more "modern" Both good for daily drivers with some creature comforts.

On a side note that's why I make some of the balance belt pulleys, sunroof seals and the clock LCD for the 944 / 51 cars.
Andyrew
WHat are you looking to do with it?

Tom and Michael nailed the specifics of the differences

Honestly you just need to find the one that is in the best condition or what your looking to do with the car (track toy, daily, show, restore, investment).

Mine is a track toy with a big turbo and a ton of money in suspension bits... Fantastic car, but one of my favorite cars I've ever had to daily was a stock 86 with just a chip. That was such a good daily car that had such a surprising amount of power and long legs with some great balanced handling, not to mention real comfort.

Sure 350hp and 1.2g's is nice for the track, but the 951 is such a great highway car in stock form.
RolinkHaus
Great info, thank you
roblav1
I had an '88 Turbo S back in 1992 or so. Wonderful car.
second wind
1989 is "the year" in my opinion. My son bought one and I drive it most of the time. Super fast and solid. The interior is the big difference from earlier models, especially the dash look. I have fixed all of the afore mentioned issues and it is not overly expensive if you find an honest mechanic who knows the cars well. I am very lucky to have found my mechanic who loves these cars, has 2-3 of his own, and knows some if not all of the tricks of the trade. Pulley assemblies and such can cost north of $500 but you only need one of the pulleys and not the assembly. He knows these tricks and saves you money. Very rare I know. I was about to junk my Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro until I found the right guy. He fixed everything in the car broken...A/C, door locks, five other things and charged me $35. Everything was disconnected and other stupid stuff. He ended up getting a business manager because he was so busy and the whole deal went to hell. Find the good mechanic and 944 Turbo is a dream car. Cost around $50,000 new. Get one!!
gg
RolinkHaus
The show Fifth Gear had an old episode highlighting the 944. The host Tiff Needell, who raced the 944, mentioning it was the best and most balanced Porsche he had ever driven.
RolinkHaus
If I get one, BBS wheels will the next purchase. smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
RolinkHaus
Andyrew,
Looking for a car to drive to shows, then maybe a weekend or two at the track, nothing excessive.
thelogo
Forget the best year ...get the best condition
carr914
get a V8 evilgrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
For the money, I would say 86 as it was the modern version but before they got complicated with abs brakes, and later air bags, and a bunch of expensive parts (like the turbo bumpers and lighting!)

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a1...orsche-944-968/
RolinkHaus
I agree dr914, but I neeeed one with a turbo. smile.gif
Mayne
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Oct 5 2019, 01:01 PM) *

I agree dr914, but I neeeed one with a turbo. smile.gif

86 was the first year of the turbo, so you can get one. One thing to keep in mind: if you like the look of dished wheels, either stock or aftermarket, the 86 is way to go because all the later cars have a different offset. I think the 86 phone dials look the best, and it’s also the only year where you can use traditional 911 style Fuchs (I guess some people use those on 914s too... biggrin.gif ).
RolinkHaus
Are you saying the early cars have better options for wider rims?

I like my rims like I like my pizza, deep dish aktion035.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Oct 6 2019, 09:25 AM) *

Are you saying the early cars have better options for wider rims?

I like my rims like I like my pizza, deep dish aktion035.gif

Later series II cars (86-on) have the alloy trailing and "A" arms so are wide track,better handling but limits offset compared to the early cars however theres still a fair amount of room with those lovely flared wheel archs.
Expect to pay fairly big money for well sorted later turbo,they have become rather sort after,don't make the mistake of buying a fixer upper as it will most likely bleed your bank acc @ an alarming rate.
Lots of issues with these cars if not looked after or incorrectly modified examples so avoid them.
Choose very wisely and you will be rewarded with a great driving experience these cars are highly underated.
Go well beer.gif .
RolinkHaus
I noticed there are SOHC and DOHC models, which is more problematic?
michael7810
Turbos are all 2.5L SOHC. The 944S is a 2.7 DOHC and the 944S2 is a 3.0 DOHC. I’ve only owned a turbo and can’t comment on reliability of the DOHC models.
jmitro
I had a black 944 turbo with gold BBS wheels at one time. Loved that car.

the 968 has more power than the standard turbo and is normally aspirated; just another option although fairly rare and so more expensive
Mayne
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Oct 6 2019, 07:01 AM) *

Turbos are all 2.5L SOHC. The 944S is a 2.7 DOHC and the 944S2 is a 3.0 DOHC. I’ve only owned a turbo and can’t comment on reliability of the DOHC models.

Pretty sure the NA 944S is still 2.5. Starting in 88 the NA 8v 944 went up to 2.7. As you say, the S2 is DOHC 3.0, as is the 968, but with Variocam (and 6speed). I owned a manual 968 and it was fantastic. But I prefer my modified turbo!
Andyrew
Turbo and non turbo have the same basic 2.5L. in fact my dad ran a 2 5L short block at about 300hp for years in his 951. The turbo is a better block with better components and coatings but still.
jmitro
correct except in 1989 the normally aspirated 944 did jump to 2.7L. All others were 2.5L until the S2 which was 3.0
BuddyV
I have a 1988 924SE..... and managed to swap a 968 motor into it.

Never driven a 944 with a turbo, but my set up is VERY nice. Naturally aspirated 3.0 4 cylinder. LSD in the rear.... etc etc.

Considering the premium prices the 944 is getting these days (well deserved, BTW)…. might want to consider an engine swap.

Good luck.

beerchug.gif
JamesM
Its like having a hot girlfriend and then giving her a mullet!

Sure, maybe she is a little more of a bad ass, but it sort of distracts from the beauty of the thing. I mean unless mullets are your thing...

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 5 2019, 02:15 AM) *

JamesM
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 5 2019, 10:13 AM) *

For the money, I would say 86 as it was the modern version but before they got complicated with abs brakes, and later air bags, and a bunch of expensive parts (like the turbo bumpers and lighting!)

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a1...orsche-944-968/

This is why I love my 86 turbo, no ABS, no airbags, light weight, lots of power.

That being said I have probably put less than 1000 miles on it in the last 10 years as I always wind up driving one of my 914s

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.