Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone recognize this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Superhawk996
While pulling the oil galley plugs on engine GA004310 I ran into a new curiosity.

This is a copper galley relief plug designed to block off the end of galley pressure relief valve and disable it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It is turned from a soild piece of copper, but, the shaft is hollow and appears to be designed to collapse when the threaded plug is installed. The built in collapse would be necessary for account for case to case tolerances and to ensure a good seal.

I'm not convinced this would seal well over time and that it wouldn't end up "settling in" and having some small but constant leakage vs. the OEM spring and piston design.

Anybody ever seen this before? Quick Google search didn't turn up a result but maybe I'm not searching it well.

Likewise, if anyone has a spare Galley Relief piston, spring, and the steel 12 point end cap, I'll be looking for one.

The 12 point end cap stripped while removing this. Someone clearly thought it would take about 180 lb*ft torque to make sure the copper crush washer sealed!
MichaelB
I found one very similar in a 2.0 GA engine I got out of a 1973 914. It was a GA case but had dished bus pistons and hydraulic lifters. I assumed the plug was an adaptor to increase pressure for the lifters. I posted a pic but was a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it.
MichaelB
Found the pic. Sorry about the poor focus.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(MichaelB @ Oct 28 2019, 06:55 PM) *

I found one very similar in a 2.0 GA engine I got out of a 1973 914. It was a GA case but had dished bus pistons and hydraulic lifters. I assumed the plug was an adaptor to increase pressure for the lifters. I posted a pic but was a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Late bus engine cases with factory hydraulic lifters weren't even machined for the lifter relief piston. You can buy the solid conversion part (uses stock relief piston) from EMW.
I'd recommend this block off conversion if you do have hydraulic lifters or early LN ceramic lifters.
Superhawk996
And the plot thickens.

@MichaelB
@Mark Henry

Interesting to see the one from MichaelB. No collapse in the shaft. Different supplier? Hmm. I think so since mine has a constant shaft diameter that fits up inside the 12 point plug.

My engine GA004310 had the bus pistons too. Not sure what these folks were thinking they were accomplishing by DROPPING the compression ratio. chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.