Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any one using a high torque starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LCOX
Anyone using an aftermarket high torque starter and if so what brand and where did you get it. Are these starters dependable?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(LCOX @ Oct 28 2019, 11:15 AM) *

Anyone using an aftermarket high torque starter and if so what brand and where did you get it. Are these starters dependable?

I have run them for more than a decade on Frody and Igor. No issues with them at all, and they cured the hot start problems with Frody. With the Cayman trans in Igor, there is no room for a standard starter, so I will keep running the high torque unit. It turns the 4.0 high compression motor with ease.

The brand I use is from IMI, and I got them from Zims.

On Elwood, the original 914 starters have been superseded to a new, high speed starter. It works great too. I don't have a part number on it.

VaccaRabite
Yes. I got mine from Ebay about a 12 years ago (or longer).
With all the problems I've had with my car, the starter has never been one of them.

Zach
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 28 2019, 11:32 AM) *

With all the problems I've had with my car, the starter has never been one of them.

Zach

any part numbers??
SirAndy
I have a "Hi-Torque" starter that has been in my car for at least 15 years now.

Never had any issue with it and it has plenty of torque to turn over the 3.6L 10.5:1 engine.
piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2019, 10:17 AM) *

Never had any issue with it and it has plenty of torque to turn over the 3.6L 10.5:1 engine.
piratenanner.gif

looks like dis ...

Click to view attachment
raynekat
i agree that high torque starters are great.
Have had one in a 911 for +20 years with zero problems and currently it's starting a high compression 3.6 engine.

Just put one in my 914 with a 2.7MFI engine as well.
So far just trouble free starting and it really spins the engine up quickly.

Don't know the brand name but I think you're OK with most of them.
You'll see some on Ebay and also places like Sierra Madre, etc in the $190-300 range.
brant
The IMI starter is really the one to get
it costs about 2x what the ebay cheapies do

they work also
but not as well
I have both

the ebay starters are generic and don't have the right plunge depth on the housing. They require a proper shim to use
without the shim... many people have had damage to their flywheels
I replaced one for a friend on his 6

the ebay Bendix will push out through the starter ring on the flywheel, so the Bendix gear is only riding on half a tooth of the starter ring

eventually it shears teeth off of the starter ring and a new flywheel (dropping the transmission) is the repair.

I would recommend paying the 250 price for the right one instead of the 150 price of the ebay units.

or making sure you have the correct shim mounted under the cheap starter.

my ebay unit is now having a hot start problem on my street car
but the 15 year old IMI starter in the race car is not

brant
phillstek
Put one in my car about a month ago after the original failed. Half the cost of the Bosch and turns over the 3.2 with 10.5s twice as fast. Made in Poland. Very pleased with it so far.

Was recommended by a local highly regarded parts importer/ Porsche repairer I’ve dealt with for 40 years. They installed it and offered all options including OEM Porsche at $2000 and the Bosch at $1200. I chose the hi torque at $600 after they told me they’d installed them without issue in hundreds of cars.
sportlicherFahrer
I bought the IMI-101N in anticipation of a -6 that never happened. Turns my 4 over with no issues, and has for 5 years now. These folks were great to deal with, and I would buy from again. Lowest price I found, and still seems to be at least competitive without doing much digging. Good Vibrations
Mark Henry
I've also switched to an IMI Hi Torque.
My old bosch was very slow turnover using the small Odyssey 680 battery on my high CR twinplug /6, it wouldn't even turn over the engine when it was new. It was bad enough of an issue that I was parking on hills.
Now with the IMI starter it spins so fast I don't think it takes a full revolution to fire. It's nice knowing it will start, as it often takes 2-3 tries to start my Weber carbed /6 when it's cold.

I'm still using the Ford solenoid just because it was already on there. I don't think it's required with the Hi Torque, so next year I'll test to see if it's needed.
VaccaRabite
I think that the Ford solenoid is still a good idea, as it takes the strain out of the wire harness and ignition switch. I'm running one on my car.

Zach
iankarr
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 28 2019, 01:33 PM) *

they work also
but not as well
I have both

the ebay starters are generic and don't have the right plunge depth on the housing. They require a proper shim to use

brant

agree.gif I've seen oddly worn flywheels on those hi torque starters. Need to shim the starter attachment bolts with washers to pull the bendix back and increase contact with the flywheel.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2019, 12:23 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

looks like dis ...

Click to view attachment

That is the exact same one I use. Two thumbs up!
jfort
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 28 2019, 09:33 AM) *

they work also
but not as well
I have both

the ebay Bendix will push out through the starter ring on the flywheel, so the Bendix gear is only riding on half a tooth of the starter ring

eventually it shears teeth off of the starter ring and a new flywheel (dropping the transmission) is the repair.

I would recommend paying the 250 price for the right one instead of the 150 price of the ebay units.

or making sure you have the correct shim mounted under the cheap starter.

my ebay unit is now having a hot start problem on my street car
but the 15 year old IMI starter in the race car is not

brant

agree about damage too flywheel. just replaced flywheel and installed rebuilt regular starter. damage to flywheel was apparent
PatrickB
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 29 2019, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2019, 12:23 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

looks like dis ...

Click to view attachment

That is the exact same one I use. Two thumbs up!

Same one I'm using too. Turns over my worn diesel (400 lbs compression) okay unless the engine is really hot.I think the compression is better when the engine is hot, it becomes a slow turn and wonder if it will start. NOT the usual hot start issue, still turning over.
Root_Werks
icon_bump.gif

Older thread with good info. There's a number of HTQ starters to choose from.

Googled the part number and it kept coming up with VW T-1 units.

Anyone have a decent source for the starter (for example) Andy is using?
roblav1
IMI 101N is the way to go. Works fantastic on my 6.
Justinp71
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 28 2019, 09:32 AM) *

Zach

Same here thumb3d.gif It was listed as fitting a porsche 914 when I got mine.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 19 2021, 10:31 AM) *

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hi-Torque+s...DCA0&uact=5

First two results are for Pelican Parts ...
shades.gif

Root_Werks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2021, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 19 2021, 10:31 AM) *

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hi-Torque+s...DCA0&uact=5

First two results are for Pelican Parts ...
shades.gif

Thanks Andy, wasn't sure if PP units were the same or not. Engines out, easy to swap, gonna just do it!
SKL1
I got one from AJR (Alan Johnson Racing) 30-40 years ago for my '71. Still going strong. Did add a relay to aid in hot weather starting.
Root_Werks
Made a PP order, needed other stuff. Got the $269 starter on the way. Don't need one and my 914-6 has turned over pretty well. BUT, while the engine is out and everything is easy to get to, replacing a lot of stuff.

Really good to know so many like their TQ starters that have lasted many years!
jtf914
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 28 2019, 01:33 PM) *

brant

This happened to me, just finished putting it back together. Had my Bosch starter rebuilt and went that route this time...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.