Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach wire kills engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
So when I go to start my car, my tach bottoms out max. None of my gauges work. When I hook my tach wire to my coil (black/purple wire), it kills my engine.

I am sure all of this is related to one thing. Suggestions?
Retroracer
Unplug the tach wire at the gauge end and check for shorts to chassis. The symptoms you describe would be similar to what you are seeing?

- Tony
ClayPerrine
That also makes a great anti-theft device. Just put a tap on the black/purple wire off the back of the tach, run it through a switch and ground the other side of the switch.

It won't start unless you know about the switch.
surfdogskier
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 28 2019, 02:50 PM) *

That also makes a great anti-theft device. Just put a tap on the black/purple wire off the back of the tach, run it through a switch and ground the other side of the switch.

It won't start unless you know about the switch.

That's a good point. There is something under my dash that is like dials switch that doesn't have a knob on it. It very well could be a kill switch someone put on. It is definitely not factory. I will post back once I am able to get under there.
SirAndy
QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Oct 28 2019, 01:03 PM) *
There is something under my dash that is like dials switch that doesn't have a knob on it. It very well could be a kill switch someone put on. It is definitely not factory. I will post back once I am able to get under there.

Sounds like the odometer reset, in which case it is factory ...
smile.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
if connected properly bad tach

QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Oct 28 2019, 11:06 AM) *

So when I go to start my car, my tach bottoms out max. None of my gauges work. When I hook my tach wire to my coil (black/purple wire), it kills my engine.

I am sure all of this is related to one thing. Suggestions?

Beebo Kanelle
Check your wiring connections again - make sure the tach is not wired backwards
Spoke
I had the same issue once. Turned out the wire from the ignition coil to the relay board was shorting to ground. Ran a new wire from the could to the relay board and all was fine.

Try disconnecting the wire at the tach and see if the engine runs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.