Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the difference between side shift and tail shift?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
There's a 914-6 conversion on EBay that mentions side shift transmission but I've also seen tail shift as well and was wondering what applications work for each one. Thanks.
Rand
Quick answer, tail shift is less desirable.

As you might assume, it is how the linkage connects and interacts with the transmission. Sideshift was an improvement over the earlier tail shift design. The transmission is the same, it's just the way the linkage connects. Experts will enter in, but in the mean time, here's some reading material:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNT...DCAg&uact=5
RickS
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 30 2019, 09:32 PM) *

Quick answer, tail shift is less desirable.

As you might assume, it is how the linkage connects and interacts with the transmission. Sideshift was an improvement over the earlier tail shift design. The transmission is the same, it's just the way the linkage connects. Experts will enter in, but in the mean time, here's some reading material:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNT...DCAg&uact=5

Amen brother.
Thunderchief
So are the transmissions interchangeable?
Rand
If that wasn't clear in the first post where I said the transmission was the same:

The transmissions are the same.
The linkage is different.
Rand
If you don't understand the linkage, then no you can't just swap them out even though the tranny is the same.
jcd914
72 and earlier cars had the tail shift trans.
73 and later cars had the side shift trans.

To swap a side shift in you need the complete shift linkage from the shift lever all the way to the transmission. You can reuse the shift knob, if you can get it off without breaking it.

Also the side shift has a shift console ( on the side) and the 3 internal shift rods in the transmissions are different between tail shift and side shift.

So you can get a side shift trans to go with the complete linkage and swap in.
Or you can get the shift console and internal shift rods and convert the tail shift trans to a side shift trans. Some assembly required.

You also need a firewall conversion shift rod bushing and if it is stock 4cly car you need 73 and later engine cross bar and engine mounts.

So if you are buying a car get one with the side shift trans if you can.
But if everything else makes a car with tail shift trans the better car it can always be converted to a side shift trans later.

Jim
injunmort
also need later motor mounts and engine mount bar for side shifter
Thunderchief
Really good info guys, I really appreciate it. Thanks
80’s old school
Honestly, the difference is “works vs. don’t work”.

Converting my 1970 from tail shift to side shift was the single biggest improvement I have made to the car... bar none.

Tail shift = Like shifting a stick in a jar of mayonnaise.
Side shift= much better, still not as good as a direct shift transmission, but now usable.

If you have not done the conversion... do it!!!
Mikey914
I beg to differ here on the side vs tail debate. I too had held the side as the “best” version. Uniting I got my 72. It shifts every bit as good as my side shift cars.

The real problem with the tail shift is that it’s much more complicated to make work correctly.

I prefer the side shift, but the tail can be made to work just as good as the side.
orthobiz
When I had my 1971 recommissioned, I kept the tail shift. With new bushings I just love it. It's sloppy and it works fine and reminds me of my first 914, the 1971 car that I got in 1974. Nostalgia conquering reason. To each his own. BTW my other three are side shifts and yes, they do shift a lot better.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.