Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat out.....take relays out ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
1974 914 I have the passenger seat out, do I disconnect both of these relays or just one so I don't have to have the seat belt fastened to start the car? and what about these other two connections? Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
brcacti
Hello, I ended up taking the small one out and putting the big one back in. Someone on here said to disconnect the small one, and should not have to join the two yellow wires then. Any input would be great for this.
FlacaProductions
I left them both in and connected the two fat yellow wires like this:

Click to view attachment
jcd914
No matter what you do with the relays, you have to connect the two large yellow wires together..
They are the power circuit to the starter.

Jim
brcacti
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 2 2019, 10:11 PM) *

No matter what you do with the relays, you have to connect the two large yellow wires together..
They are the power circuit to the starter.

Jim

oh, maybe I goofed, I took out the small relay, left the big one in, opposite from what the picture shows here. The two big yellow wires are still going into the big relay. I thought I needed to take out the SMALL relay pictured here. If we have people here that knows please let me know.
FlacaProductions
don't worry about the relays - just do the two big yellow wires...report back.
brcacti
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 3 2019, 03:49 PM) *

don't worry about the relays - just do the two big yellow wires...report back.

Ok, thank you, I will pull the seat out again and put the little relay back in and cut and join the thick yellow wires.
JeffBowlsby
DONT CUT ANYTHING!

Get the splice housing. Depress the tangs holding them in teh housing to remove. Insert into the splice housing.
brcacti
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 3 2019, 07:13 PM) *

DONT CUT ANYTHING!

Get the splice housing. Depress the tangs holding them in teh housing to remove. Insert into the splice housing.

Sorry, I saw your message AFTER I had done the job, I did cut them and joined them with a good sized wire nut
sixnotfour
Sorry, I saw your message AFTER I had done the job,

just leave it at this......
brcacti
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 4 2019, 02:57 PM) *

Sorry, I saw your message AFTER I had done the job,

just leave it at this......

I got in trouble..............the car does not crank now at all and I can't even jump it at the add on solenoid/relay like I was able to do before. I bought some connections and RE-CONNECTED THE two big yellow wires and still the same. I have to double check to see if I plugged them in the same place as they first came from.
FlacaProductions
does not crank or does not start?
did you disconnect the battery before you did this work?
brcacti
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 5 2019, 08:15 PM) *

does not crank or does not start?
did you disconnect the battery before you did this work?

No, did not disconnect the battery. does not crank, I can hear some noises when key is turned. I use to be able to jump start it from the add on starter relay but not now. I will recheck the yellow wires to see if both are in the right place.
FlacaProductions
put the yellow wires back and see if it cranks.
brcacti
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 6 2019, 10:45 AM) *

Hello, yes I put new connections on the two yellow wires and plugged them back into where they were before, won't crank. From the add on starter relay I get a reading of 12.47 from the big black to the yellow and same reading from the big black to the white. NO READING from the big black to the 1/4 inch nut connection that I used to jump start this way, now nothing. Did I burn out my add on starter relay?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
brcacti
QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 6 2019, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 6 2019, 10:45 AM) *

Hello, yes I put new connections on the two yellow wires and plugged them back into where they were before, won't crank. From the add on starter relay I get a reading of 12.47 from the big black to the yellow and same reading from the big black to the white. NO READING from the big black to the 1/4 inch nut connection that I used to jump start this way, now nothing. Did I burn out my add on starter relay?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

FORGET this post, in all my inexperience and haste I forgot to plug one wire from the add on starter relay into the starter, I CAN JUMP START IT NOW AGAIN smile.gif, the relay is not bad. It still does not start from the key, may be a bad ignition switch, will try another test
porschetub
If you have bridged the 2 large yellow wires together the car will crank and start regardless of the relays being in place,use a sealed connector such as a Duraseal (yellow) so no moisture can get in there,make sure the yellow wire that leads off here is a good fit on the starter solenoid....you should be good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.