Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rim fit w/ GT Flares Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tailwind22
Does anyone know if 930 turbo Fuchs, 7" and 9", will fit under "standard" GT flares?
mepstein
9’s may or may not fit. Tires will make a difference. You want to check fit before you do bodywork and paint. The flares can be “adjusted” to fit.
TravisNeff
15x9 ET 3
16x9 ET 15 about .5 inch less outer lip from the 15x9

I hear the 15x9 will take some bodywork to make them fit, but they will. As for 16x9 I haven't heard one way or the other if it took extra work.
Gmanscott55
I am running 7 X 17 front and 9 X 17 rear. Tight on rear, but no rubbing issues. Running a 5 MM spacer on rear and 35 MM on front.

See Mike's comment above ...
ConeDodger
These are 16X7 and a custom built 16X8.5 (built from 4 16X6 Fuchs)

@Harvey Weidman
tailwind22
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 9 2019, 05:44 PM) *

These are 16X7 and a custom built 16X8.5 (built from 4 16X6 Fuchs)

@Harvey Weidman

Good input from everyone - helps a lot!
Steve
I’m running 17x9 Fikse FM10 rims. 255 racing tires fit, but due to the curb rib on my pilot sports, I had to drop down to 245 so they wouldn’t rub.
They are 6mm offset. The flairs are AA
sixnotfour
first 3 pics 225/50 on 15x9
second 2 are 245/50 on 15x9 flairs reworked with lip rolled up. and green paint
tailwind22
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 10 2019, 10:23 AM) *

first 3 pics 225/50 on 15x9
second 2 are 245/50 on 15x9 flairs reworked with lip rolled up. and green paint

Thanks Jeff
John
What is a standard GT Flare?

Mine has original GT Flares (not reproduction) and it has used 9x16 ET15 wheels for the last 35 years or so.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(John @ Nov 12 2019, 05:58 PM) *

Mine has original GT Flares (not reproduction) and it has used 9x16 ET15 wheels for the last 35 years or so.

Click to view attachment

The factory GT flare used a thinner gauge metal and the flange (down by the sidewall is not as much. Mine (Replica) had to be trimmed to fit those wheels.
John
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 12 2019, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Nov 12 2019, 05:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The factory GT flare used a thinner gauge metal and the flange (down by the sidewall is not as much. Mine (Replica) had to be trimmed to fit those wheels.

I run those with (3) 1/4" spacers in the rear. 930 Turbo front hubs with no spacers.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Are the new flares that much narrower than the originals?
sixnotfour
yours are installed perfectly,,, and your 16s fit the way they do because the section width is about 9.5 inches..where as my old big ass 245/50s are 10+ in. all planets are in alignment...there can be alot of install variables,,yours are spot on...l
IronHillRestorations
I did a conversion on a car that had 16x9's in the back, and the bodyman that put the flairs on did it with those wheels on, it required a little extra fitting
sixnotfour
Well my statement rings true..the only other person I know is eric shea,,he can barely run a 15x8....so it all depends on the install,,,Erics where cut off a factory car..
here is the full chart..
tailwind22
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 12 2019, 04:20 PM) *

Well my statement rings true..the only other person I know is eric shea,,he can barely run a 15x8....so it all depends on the install,,,Erics where cut off a factory car..
here is the full chart..

Saving that chart in my technical files. Thanks.
Garland
245/50-16 , 9” wheels on all 4 corners. See my build page

Click to view attachment
Garland
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2019, 07:32 PM) *

9’s may or may not fit. Tires will make a difference. You want to check fit before you do bodywork and paint. The flares can be “adjusted” to fit.

When I did mine, I did not have the wheels and tires till after I mounted the flares. Just made sure everything was fit equally, to maximum width.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 13 2019, 08:10 AM) *

When I did mine, I did not have the wheels and tires till after I mounted the flares. Just made sure everything was fit equally, to maximum width.

sawzall-smiley.gif
John
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 13 2019, 07:10 AM) *

Me too! When my flares were done, all we had were 7 & 8 x 15 wheels, but later figured out that 9x16 fit all 4 corners so it made it so much more simple. No problems except trimming some of the sheet metal in the front fenders to clear when turning the wheels. Used to run (2) 1/4" spacers on all 4 corners until swapped in a 930 complete front end and found out the hubs spaced the wheels out. Then we moved to (3) 1/4" spacers in the rears with 9x16 and no spacers in front with 9x16. I don't even think the lips are rolled, but they might be.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Here are the pictures I was looking for. As I said, the factory flares were a lighter gauge metal with less width on the flange. Mark had to trim mine so the tire didn’t develop any razor burn. Mark had a factory flared 6-GT in the shop that he was restoring to compare them to.
Garland
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 13 2019, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 13 2019, 08:10 AM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif

Yep, I had to trim all 4 once I had the wheels. But only the top inside edge. The rest with spacers worked out. Minimum clearance inside and out, front just clearing the shock, rear 1/4” off the body.
tailwind22
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 13 2019, 10:29 AM) *

Here are the pictures I was looking for. As I said, the factory flares were a lighter gauge metal with less width on the flange. Mark had to trim mine so the tire didn’t develop any razor burn. Mark had a factory flared 6-GT in the shop that he was restoring to compare them to.

Mark who?
sixnotfour
plan ahead, or be ready to make em fit.. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.