Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How good is the porsche boxster suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
Ive been afforded an opportunity to make my “914” crazy. I found all the boxster suspension parts i would need to put in my car for $1000. So my question is how much better is the boxster suspension than a modified 914 suspension. Ignore how to fit it.... i have plans....
Andyrew
Front/rear or just rear?

I doubt you'll make the front fit.

Is it better? Absolutely. Better enough to justify the expense and more importantly time? No, not unless your on the competitive level for racing, and then class rules typically will not allow it.

Have you ridden in a well sorted autox level 914? Have you ridden in a boxster?

The boxster is certainly better, more predictable and stable. But the 914 is not that far behind.

Your talking about something that would require an enormous amount of fabrication and precision to get right or else it will just turn your car to a pile of scrap.
VG-914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Nov 13 2019, 07:01 AM) *

....my question is how much better is the boxster suspension than ....

Having done work with brakes and suspension on all of my cars: 914, Boxster and Cayman... I can guarantee you the Boxster suspension is better. If it's from an 'S', even more so... but, wow. I think you are talking a lot of work, including retrofitting the wheel wells. I'd put the $1K into a set of better shocks that already fit the 914!!
Andyrew
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 13 2019, 07:47 AM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif smile.gif

For those not in the know this is a boxter chassis with a 914 body on top of it.

smile.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 13 2019, 08:49 AM) *

For those not in the know this is a boxter chassis with a 914 body on top of it.

smile.gif

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedgarage/...025270824/page1

1131 photo how to...
eeyore
CurbAndGutter (rudy?) is doing something like that...

tube frame 996 suspension
Jamie
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 13 2019, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 13 2019, 08:49 AM) *

smile.gif

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedgarage/...025270824/page1

1131 photo how to...

An astronomical investment of money and man-hours to create a real one-of-a-kind car!! beer.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 13 2019, 06:38 AM) *

Your talking about something that would require an enormous amount of fabrication and precision to get right or else it will just turn your car to a pile of scrap.

Challenge accepted.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Nov 13 2019, 11:40 AM) *

Challenge accepted.

See you running again in 4 years! bye1.gif

That being said, I always enjoy a good (Long) build thread! biggrin.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 13 2019, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Nov 13 2019, 11:40 AM) *

Challenge accepted.

See you running again in 4 years! bye1.gif

That being said, I always enjoy a good (Long) build thread! biggrin.gif

Car was totaled so its not like im missing out on much driving anyway lol
twistedstang
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 13 2019, 10:49 AM) *

smile.gif

That looks.....heavy
tygaboy
I procured a complete 993 rear set up. It bolts in at 4 points, fits a Boxster trans with the 993 axles and lends itself to conversion to pushrod activated shocks. (At least, that's my plan...)
I'll be following your progress. Best of luck with your conversion.
Chi-town
The structure of the car will not handle the boxster style suspension. You'll have to do a tube frame structure front and rear.

At that point you might as well build a full tube frame and drop the 914 body panels on it.
rhodyguy
You totaled your 914? Confused. unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 14 2019, 09:13 AM) *

I procured a complete 993 rear set up. It bolts in at 4 points, fits a Boxster trans with the 993 axles and lends itself to conversion to pushrod activated shocks. (At least, that's my plan...)

I would have used a 996 suspension. Same setup,but it doesn't have that hoop over the top. With the 993 suspension, you will have to cut a hole in the rear trunk for it.

Clay
Andyrew
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 14 2019, 02:54 PM) *

I would have used a 996 suspension. Same setup,but it doesn't have that hoop over the top. With the 993 suspension, you will have to cut a hole in the rear trunk for it.

Clay

Have you seen Chris's trunk? smile.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 14 2019, 07:36 AM) *

The structure of the car will not handle the boxster style suspension. You'll have to do a tube frame structure front and rear.

At that point you might as well build a full tube frame and drop the 914 body panels on it.

shades.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 14 2019, 02:54 PM) *

Clay

Sorry for the hijack. Tube frame planned so I'll lose the hoop. It's not part of the 4 chassis mounts and can be replaced with something else. It came as part of the package so I just mocked the Boxster trans in there to see if it'd fit. It'd be pretty straight forward to jig up the hoop, replicate the pick-up point locations and build a replacement.

Same deal with the Boxster stuff.

Now let's see some tube frame fabrication!
sixnotfour
Jeff Macpherson
Well...since you asked, here is a photo of the day I bought the car. The previous owner had jumped in and declared " I need to drive it one more time"...
The results were quite similar to actions preceded by the words "watch this".
Amazingly, other than ego issues, no harm done...?
This was February of this year, I had already ordered and paid for the 914 bodywork and then watched the car sever a power pole...
jmitro
I think if you're asking the question, you're in over your head already

the Boxster suspension was designed for a totally different car - different body weight, chassis structure and dynamics. if you want to do it just for the sake of "doing it" then go for it. But I would not expect the car to handle anywhere close to either a 914 or a Boxster.

you should talk to some suspension experts like Elephant Racing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.