Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 restored @ Canepa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Larmo63
The car looked good at the Rare Shades event a while back.

But, at some point, is it even a car? Is it a collector's item? Art? A Golden Calf?

Will they even drive the thing?

Any hint as to who the new owner is?
bandjoey
It's their money but the blue/yellow is sad.gif IMHO
SKL1
I didn't think it looked that bad when I saw it at Rare Shades but I didn't climb all over it... in all honesty I thought the "Brutus" lettering was a little tacky.Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Maybe the stripes would've looked better in person. tire to wheelwell illusion. Yuck.
gulf908
this is how I saw the car in November 1974 and still love it that way
its one of a kind and all the better for that !
the pinstriping and badges were the 1970s after all !
did anyone complain about the blue/yellow paint jobs on Penske's Sunoco Lolas of the late 1960s ?

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
Steve
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Nov 20 2019, 08:28 PM) *

I didn't think it looked that bad when I saw it at Rare Shades but I didn't climb all over it... in all honesty I thought the "Brutus" lettering was a little tacky.Click to view attachment

I’m not an expert, but the only things I noticed was the rubber trim around the metal top. I could tell they did the best they could with what they had, since this weather stripping is unobtainable. There was also a gap on the top of the rear fiberglass bumper.
I don’t know how you could fix that without damaging the one of a kind bumper.
bkrantz
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 17 2019, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 17 2019, 08:29 PM) *

I don't understand the comparison photos of the handbrake recess.
what's the issue ?

its supposed be like the yellow impression...73 later had the bigger one

So which one is this? Are there three, or is it the same as the yellow one?

Pardon for going off topic, but how many 914s have cracks below the indentation? Were they created during stamping?
sixnotfour
most 73 and later, bad revision
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 21 2019, 07:42 PM) *

Pardon for going off topic, but how many 914s have cracks below the indentation? Were they created during stamping?

A lot of them...if not all of them. McMark TM'd it.
burton73
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 21 2019, 06:09 AM) *

I’m not an expert, but the only things I noticed was the rubber trim around the metal top. I could tell they did the best they could with what they had, since this weather stripping is unobtainable. There was also a gap on the top of the rear fiberglass bumper.

No one said this, or did they

Et tu, Brute? [ (et tooh brooh-tay) ] A Latin sentence meaning “Even you, Brutus?” from the play Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare. Caesar utters these words as he is being stabbed to death, having recognized his friend Brutus among the assassins.

Bob B
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 21 2019, 09:09 AM) *

On the high end restorations, the unobtanium parts are reproduced, one of a kind parts are repaired. There are places that our shop uses that will make or remake anything. It’s just a matter of writing the check.
larryM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2019, 01:32 PM) *

. . . unobtanium parts are reproduced, one of a kind parts are repaired. There are places that our shop uses that will make or remake anything. It’s just a matter of writing the check.

pictures from at-factory resto that gms posted long time back

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

evilgrin.gif

Racer
Sometimes its EGO and name dropping too.. restored by "AA" or restored by "Canapa" wink.gif
Besides, if you can afford a million dollar car, surely you can afford to have it re-restored too.
sixnotfour
I believe this is Brutus..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Brutus was certainly a 914 that was 'through the mill" and if any other 914 would have been scrap.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 26 2019, 08:31 AM) *

Brutus was certainly a 914 that was 'through the mill" and if any other 914 would have been scrap.

Do tell! What is the history of the car??
speedy914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 25 2019, 12:03 PM) *

Not Brutus (unless they put 4 bolts hubs on car during restoration) icon_bump.gif
speedy914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 26 2019, 01:11 PM) *

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/01/28/br...ts-car-history/
SirAndy
QUOTE(speedy914 @ Nov 26 2019, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 25 2019, 12:03 PM) *

Not Brutus (unless they put 4 bolts hubs on car during restoration) icon_bump.gif

Pretty common to just slap a /4 suspension under the chassis to roll it around the shop while restoring.

No need to get real /6 components and wheels all messed up while doing surgery ....
shades.gif
sixnotfour
Way more to the book than the cover....
Bleyseng
QUOTE(speedy914 @ Nov 26 2019, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 26 2019, 01:11 PM) *

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/01/28/br...ts-car-history/

46,000 original miles and it had all that rust work done on it? Sheesh, must have been stored sitting on wet grass under a tree.
Some people treat their cars like shit....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
this thing was a rusted many times wrecked may times color changed and interior changed vehicle. All we really know is that it started as a Black 71 914-6. At one time it had elephant hide in it. Corina Piech used it as here personal car, and changed interiors to match her current outfit. Tony Lapine finally got tired of redoing the interior so shut her down after this red striped one
rhodyguy
Can't see those images Jeff.
sixnotfour
confused24.gif I looked at a grey market 914-6 in 1978..it was rusty, i also had a euro 78 sc, it was rusty..
larryM
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 27 2019, 10:05 AM) *

46,000 original miles and it had all that rust work done on it? Sheesh, must have been stored sitting on wet grass under a tree.
Some people treat their cars like shit....

'way long ago in 2007 - "Jürgen Seyffert" a 914-6 sportomatic owner in Germany wrote me that there were almost no old 914's left there 'cuz they "use salt on the roads" -

(which is why the market for usa export shells to europe was lively)

same is pretty much true of any 914 or 911 or japan car of that era that lived & was driven routinely in the usa midwest or rust belt

the simple rust test for any porsche of the day was to put a jack into the lift point and see how badly the body deformed around the jack point -

914Ltd did a great biz in longitudinal "clamshells" for that

during my IA & KS & autobody days i worked on & saw LOTS of those flexible hulks - today many have been aka "restored" if they didn't go early to the junkyard

- in 1972 i briefly had a '67 911 that deformed that way (it had lived as a daily-driver on the Chicago-Milwaukee milk run) - it was a "fast car" that i got rid of fast

- plenty of pics on this site of similar "rustoration" 914's over the last 10 yrs that require large checkbooks or understanding spouses

. . . . time was, the only old porsche worth considering to buy was one that had a documented life in CA-AZ-et al

i personally junked out two 914-6's of that ilk - both VINs are in the database (allegedly one is now on another chassis)

. pic: this Oregon car's entire floor pan was rusted out & i cut the car into pieces; & later i acquired a similar one in NV that came from AK with new floor pans in boxes (it actually ran, & got sold as a "project" for the ebay price of the parts) - "rustoration" 'way beyond my teacher's paycheck

Click to view attachment
twistedstang
Ooops
jkb081
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 17 2019, 04:47 PM) *

When it was at the shades event, there was a bunch of stuff wrong with it. Lots of poor fitting parts. i.e. bumpers, trim, seals, etc. Funny, but there were several people nit picking what was wrong with it. At the event they said they were going to take it apart and redo it.
Click to view attachment

looks great from here!! Is that a tribute to Brutus? Well done.
jkb081
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Nov 20 2019, 11:28 PM) *

I believe that was original. The dash should have the name Corina, the women it was built for.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 5 2022, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Nov 20 2019, 11:28 PM) *

I believe that was original. The dash should have the name Corina, the women it was built for.

Take a close look at the photo in post #36....does look like Corina on the glove box lid.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.