Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bought original radio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, I bought this radio in the pictures for my 74 914. Knobs center to center seem to be good with my small plate pictured here. BUT I will need to make it 1/4 inch wider on both sides to fit, any suggestions on how to cut it to make it look professional? Does anyone have a 4 inch wide plate to trade me? Mine is 3.5 inches wide. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Your bottom face plate is for a Motorola Sapphire radio. Top one is a single DIN. Here is what you need. Dash face plate and a radio face plate. Can do a straight up trade.
brcacti
WOW, thanks do you know anything about those Motorola sapphire radios? Are they fairly good? Will I need to buy some of the basket weave material for the metal plate? Know anyone who has a small piece?
brcacti
Also what is a single DIN?
brcacti
Also, it looks right, do you have the measurements for the rectangle width, height and knob center to center?
bbrock
QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 17 2019, 06:23 PM) *

Also what is a single DIN?

Single DIN is a standard size for a car stereo height and width. The rectangular opening on your dash without any face or mounting plate over it is single DIN. Most modern cars have double DIN stereos that are twice the height of single DIN but the same width.
JeffBowlsby
Sorry to have to say, but that radio is not correct for the 1974 model year. Its a later model better suited to the 1975-76, which I think is indicated in the SN code "76". Just because it not correct, does not mean it may not be OK for your car.
Mike Fitton
Automobile Atlanta has the correct 914 faceplate for this radio. The faceplate that Mark is showing is not correct installation for your radio although it will work.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Dashboa...55204010BA.html
914Sixer
Mike is correct about face plate, was only trying to help find something to work.
DickSteinkamp
DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung, which is the German Standardization Institution that created the standard for head units used in cars today.

The ISO (International Standards Organization) adopted this DIN as ISO 7736, which is used by car manufacturers around the world. They are still called DIN radios because it was this German institute that invented the original standard.

DIN 75490 standard specifies the dimensions for the unit when viewed from the front; it must be 180 x 50 mm.

Single vs Double DIN Stereo
brcacti
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 17 2019, 10:22 PM) *

Sorry to have to say, but that radio is not correct for the 1974 model year. Its a later model better suited to the 1975-76, which I think is indicated in the SN code "76". Just because it not correct, does not mean it may not be OK for your car.

Thanks Jeff, I don't see a Motorola sapphire radio for sale when I looked, saw one but it is probably MORE expensive and I ALREADY bought the other one. I did send off an email to the owner asking the price, it was not listed. Thanks for your information.
brcacti
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 17 2019, 05:58 PM) *

Your bottom face plate is for a Motorola Sapphire radio. Top one is a single DIN. Here is what you need. Dash face plate and a radio face plate. Can do a straight up trade.

THANKS 914 Sixer.........I do like your set up for the radio I bought and am leaning to do the trade. Can you send measurements so I can verify the fit? Redio rectangle width, height and knob spacing center to center? Would be appreciated.
914Sixer
Reply sent
Rob-O
Does that black trim around the dial indicator come off? Because I thought they did.

If so, I have a plate for you. Mark sent me what I needed last week for MY radio project. The one I have is a little thicker than the ones that came in our cars when the dealers installed radios. But it is freshly covered. The opening is 3.75” wide. If the black trim was removed your dial indicator may be 3.75” instead of the 4” you mentioned above.

Yours for the asking...

Not trying to step on Marks offer. Just trying to pay his good deed to me forward...
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 19 2019, 06:42 AM) *

Does that black trim around the dial indicator come off? Because I thought they did.

If so, I have a plate for you. Mark sent me what I needed last week for MY radio project. The one I have is a little thicker than the ones that came in our cars when the dealers installed radios. But it is freshly covered. The opening is 3.75” wide. If the black trim was removed your dial indicator may be 3.75” instead of the 4” you mentioned above.

Yours for the asking...

Not trying to step on Marks offer. Just trying to pay his good deed to me forward...

That will not work with the OP radio.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
wow exact same radio that came in my 76 914 years ago. We make the proper plates.
914Sixer
Right now NO one is making the correct thickness plates. Read my past threads.
brcacti
QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 17 2019, 05:05 PM) *

Hello, I bought this radio in the pictures for my 74 914. Knobs center to center seem to be good with my small plate pictured here. BUT I will need to make it 1/4 inch wider on both sides to fit, any suggestions on how to cut it to make it look professional? Does anyone have a 4 inch wide plate to trade me? Mine is 3.5 inches wide. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

THANKS to EVERYONE, I think me and 914sixer have this figured out
enoz05
Prefix "K" correct for 1977
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.