Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's on PMs sent -GB for Trailing Arm bushings Rubber and option for Urethane
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
We are in the process of doing the A arm bushings in rubber
We can easily do these up in a polyurethane at the same time, just have to do enough to pay for the materials and set up would be looking at 25 sets to do the Poly

The GB would be for a set of 4 (enough for 1car)

For $28 in rubber

and $36 in poly

To get the pricing right we need 40 takers in rubber and 25 in Poly

We've been in testing on these for some time and had made a couple variations.
This is what they look like.

SO Who's in?
yellowporky
do you mean trailing arm bushings? I already bought the kit so will the shaft be the same? Will these squeak after a while?
Thanks
mepstein
Mark - how do these differ from the previous ones. Thanks
Mikey914
Previous ones were the self lubricating Poly-graphite we did not make them. The feedback from Eric was that we needed to make these to do exactly what factory ones did, he was mentioning that there was some squeak from them as they needed to be lubricated, as the rubber ones were not. There is some room for improvement that we will be doing also.

Mikey914
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Nov 18 2019, 04:50 PM) *

do you mean trailing arm bushings? I already bought the kit so will the shaft be the same? Will these squeak after a while?
Thanks

The shaft kit will be the same. The stainless is bulletproof.
I was amazed to see the factory was a hollow tube and the welds were not great. So water got in the inside and rusted.
djway
bye1.gif
Tbrown4x4
I'll help support the cause. One set please.
Mendivil26
Count me in, one set for me please
Retroracer
I'll take one set please; rubber.

- Tony
Tdskip
Poly compound is CRITICAL. Interested for sure but how will we get the right balance of compliance and firmness?

Genuine question / don’t know how to do that and haven’t tried to make bushings before.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 19 2019, 10:52 AM) *

Poly compound is CRITICAL. Interested for sure but how will we get the right balance of compliance and firmness?

Genuine question / don’t know how to do that and haven’t tried to make bushings before.

Fortunately I have biggrin.gif
johnhora
One set in rubber please...Thanks
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 19 2019, 03:05 PM) *

Well alright then!
MM1
I’m in for one rear set in rubber. . .

and one front set in rubber (add on?)!
bdstone914
@Mikey914

Are the shafts going to be offered in a bundle deal?

I have found most original shafts are not straight which makes bushing installation very difficult.

I have done several sets of the Elephant Racing sets and the installation is tricky.

Good installation tools are a must.

I added tapers to the Elephant tools. Delrin might be more slippery and better.

I have a couple clean blasted trailing arms and would be willing to install them.

I also have sets of used shafts for test installation.

I am betting the new shafts will make installation much easier.

Bruce

Mikey914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 19 2019, 03:03 PM) *

@Mikey914

Are the shafts going to be offered in a bundle deal?

I have found most original shafts are not straight which makes bushing installation very difficult.

I have done several sets of the Elephant Racing sets and the installation is tricky.

Good installation tools are a must.

I added tapers to the Elephant tools. Delrin might be more slippery and better.

I have a couple clean blasted trailing arms and would be willing to install them.

I also have sets of used shafts for test installation.

I am betting the new shafts will make installation much easier.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,
We have actually installed in the shop and had our 1st non commercial customer do an install. His shafts were shot so he also used the stainless shafts.
@tvdinnerbythepool
I personally found these much easier than the front. And yes I need to change the title as it's confusing. But A arm bushings will also be on special.

Anything you want to add?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...41074&st=25
morgan_harwell
One rear set in rubber please...Thanks
tvdinnerbythepool
The install of the bushings was VERY easy! The original rubber was deteriorating/cracking, stiff and definitely past it's better days. Getting those out was the most time consuming part but not too bad.

The stainless shafts matched the rubber bushings really nicely. They are a little heavier than stock but far superior craftsman ship. Pressed nicely into the bushings with my little shop press.

My Original Shafts were toast, deep rust pits and threads were toast.

Would definitely recommend both the shafts and bushings from @mikey914

Before....
Click to view attachment
tvdinnerbythepool
While I was in there did the Springs from 914Rubber too!
tvdinnerbythepool
After...Click to view attachment
Literati914
1 Rubber Set plz.
pete000
I would be in for a set of the rubber rear bushings, The stainless shafts are just too heavy for me. The factory shafts are hollow and half the weight as long as they are not rotten...
bbrock
Well, shoot. I have a set of as yet, unused poly-graphite from the first GB but always wanted rubber so I'm in for a set.

I'd like to hear a bit more about the installation though. Seems like if the tolerances are OEM, then some cussing should be required to get them in much like the fronts.
TonyA
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 18 2019, 05:08 PM) *

We are in the process of doing the A arm bushings in rubber
We can easily do these up in a polyurethane at the same time, just have to do enough to pay for the materials and set up would be looking at 25 sets to do the Poly

The GB would be for a set of 4 (enough for 1car)

For $28 in rubber

and $36 in poly

To get the pricing right we need 40 takers in rubber and 25 in Poly

We've been in testing on these for some time and had made a couple variations.
This is what they look like.

SO Who's in?

put me in for two sets for two cars both front and rear
jc73-914
I'd like to take a set pls. Rubber bushings + shaft, thx.
Highland
I too would like to be added for a rubber set smile.gif
jsaum
I’ll take a set of the rubber bushings. Possibly the shafts once I see the prices.
Mark Henry
Not sure if I want rubber or poly? new shafts? confused24.gif
This is about the only job I haven't done because I don't have any issues.
If you do poly is there a way of adding grease fittings?

I have Full Motion (needle bearings) on the fronts.
Hot street car only, I might do a DE now that I'm a PCA member.
Mark Henry
I can't find the shaft on your site confused24.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 21 2019, 09:07 PM) *

'cause they're not going to be available 'til end of Dec?

..So - as for the current A-arm bushings on the site, they say "NEW" but have no mention in the description of what they are made of (tho the tool is described as delrin). So I'm confused again, are these the latest iteration new rubber that the rear trailing arm bushings are GOING to be offered in? And are the current rears on the site (which also have no description of material composition) an "old" version?

Just trying to put together an order for the current sale and not wanting to purchase soon to be outdated parts by mistake.
Can-Am
I'd like a set of rubber ones for the rear if I'm not too late. Thanks
bbrock
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 30 2019, 11:36 PM) *

I bought a pair of their SS shafts in the GB for poly graphite bushings at least a year ago, so they've been available for quite awhile. I don't see them on either the new or old web site though. confused24.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 30 2019, 10:36 PM) *

..So - as for the current A-arm bushings on the site, they say "NEW" but have no mention in the description of what they are made of (tho the tool is described as delrin). So I'm confused again, are these the latest iteration new rubber that the rear trailing arm bushings are GOING to be offered in? And are the current rears on the site (which also have no description of material composition) an "old" version?

Just trying to put together an order for the current sale and not wanting to purchase soon to be outdated parts by mistake.

The "OLD" material is a poly-graphite, we are making a OEM version with an option for urethane if we have enough interest. So far I'm not seeing it we can bring in a multitude of compounds so I'm sure we could make a great product, but at the small quantity we will be using it will be at a premium, so unless we have enough interest it will not pencil out.

At this point the OEM version has held up very well for many years, so we will definitely be making these.
Mikey914
These will be ready soon. Still not seeing enough demand to do the Poly. I have to bring in a min 50lbs of material. For the cost it's not penciling out at this time.

Bueller ……. Buelleer ……...Bueller
injunmort
I would take a set of poly
Mark Henry
I see you haven't shipped my "Black Friday" order yet, can you hold it till these are ready?

I'll take a poly set, but if you don't have the numbers I'll take the OE set.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 9 2019, 10:18 AM) *

I see you haven't shipped my "Black Friday" order yet, can you hold it till these are ready?

I'll check with Scott, but he has got very good at getting stuff out fast. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Mark
Porschef
QUOTE(injunmort @ Dec 9 2019, 07:50 AM) *

I would take a set of poly

agree.gif

Otherwise a set of rubber if not.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 9 2019, 10:18 AM) *

I did get ahold of Scott and we did get it held.
Mark
Mikey914
These are running this week, Didn't generate enough interest to do the urethane. We can revisit them if there is enough interest, just can't justify bringing in the material.

PM's to follow shortly.
maf914
I'll take a set of rubber bushings. Thanks as usual.

And a set of poly if you do them. And they don't squeak! laugh.gif
soccerplyr
I'll take a rubber set, if not too late.
yellowporky
I will take a set of rubber front and rear too please
Mikey914
These are finally finishing up this weekend and I'll be sending PM's out shortly. Just have a holiday party I need to get ready for today. But finally done

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Got we finished these for a little less than we projected GB price is being reduced accordingly.

Merry Christmas to all that wanted these, Still putting together the PM with another little special for ya!
JamesM
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 19 2019, 01:05 PM) *

My issue with poly bushings isnt with the firmness, its that none of the bushing surfaces were designed to be friction surfaces. The rubber bushings are completely immobile and bound to the control arm/chassis. All control arm movement is the result of the bushing flexing. None of the surfaces on either side of the bushing remotely resemble anything close to flat and or smooth which results in unpredictable (and thus uncomfortable) bushing movement when replacing with poly. Not to mention potential binding/chassis damage BTDT. This is why all the good solid bushings (Rebel, Elephant, etc) sleeve everything and run the bushing on the machined sleeves. I was blown away at how much more comfortable the ride in my autox car became when I replaced my front poly bushings with the Rebel Racing solid bushings despite having gone from poly to a much harder setup. The smoothness of the control arm movement seemed to make a much larger difference in ride quality (and handling) than the firmness of the bushing material.

Was talking with Eric about this exact thing the other day, but one idea I have been wanting to attempt is to run dual poly bushings instead of a single one. Basically take 2 bushing and machine the inside of one and the outside of the other so they fit together where the single bushing would normally install. This would basically move all friction surfaces to be between the machined poly bushings. My only concern at that point is if the material is strong enough at that thickness. This is something I have seen Powerflex do with a lot of their bushings (I even run some on one of my BMWs like this), they also use that to then tune the ride quality by offering varying harnesses for one of the 2 bushings.

No idea how it would turn out, but if you are going to make some polys i think its worth a shot to try it given straight single poly bushing on a 914 are crap. I speak with first hand knowledge on this as binding poly bushings were responsible for breaking one of my front control arms and tearing a crack in my chassis.
JamesM
To illustrate what i am talking about. something like this...

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
That's a 911 bushing, they are different. I'm hesitant to redesign this with just a change of a bushing. The factory spent a lot of time and energy making these, and there wasn't a superseded part. That means they were the best balance of performance and economy for at least a daily driver. We can make a shaft that utilizes a bearing to allow rotation. Could use either poly or natural rubber. Considering the OEM rubber lasted 30 years + the difference between the 2 is nominal, again if we can get at least 25 sets, I'll gladly do them.

Do look for the bearing option for the shafts . I'll delay this till next week as we will be running them shortly. So for non binding shaft please indicate your interest we will run 10 sets like this.

Mark
yellowporky
I would be interested in the non binding set
gandalf_025
I'm in for a set of rubber if this is still available..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.