Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cone Screw install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Put in a new Cone Screw, but it only went this far. I really put the muscle to it along with a dap of lock tight.

Is this correct or am I doing something wrong ??
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
what ever you are screwing it into does not look like a factory part. On a factory part it must go in all of the way

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 18 2019, 06:24 PM) *

Put in a new Cone Screw, but it only went this far. I really put the muscle to it along with a dap of lock tight.

Click to view attachment

second wind
I learned the hard way NOT to use lock tite on these cone screws. Just keep putting in new ones. It is a very sick feeling when the little allen wrench just spins in the screw. As far as your primary question no idea....just where is that on the car?
gg
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment

Sir Greg’s car has an after market shifting parts. The yellow circled is the one.

Coondog
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 18 2019, 05:36 PM) *

what ever you are screwing it into does not look like a factory part. On a factory part it must go in all of the way

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 18 2019, 06:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Patrick Motorsports shift rod and sleeve.
mepstein
Make sure to use some blue lock tight
Krieger
Doesn't look like your in the hole... biggrin.gif It looks like there are only a few threads engaged.
ndfrigi
comparison from stock and PMS part. The stock has the bump where the cone screw goes in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Coondog
Nice detective work Noel.... smile.gif
914forme
The factory part is cast, like was pointed out it has a bump for thread engagement. The PMS part looks machined from a tube, interesting design, not sure why they changed it? Tangerine still uses the stock casting. confused24.gif

If you still have the stock casting, take measurements of the the overall distance from the inner edge to the outer side of the casting where the Cone Screw fits, then compare. It is the only way you will know. confused24.gif

Hopefully like pointed out your good, with that much of the screw showing blue loctite would do the trick, I would go with Red, as you can get heat to it with a fine pencil tipped torch or a piece of metal heated to red, and then placed on it to transfer the heat, to the screw. Even if you did strip the Allen section, it is just 4mm, you have enough exposed that you should be able to get something clamped on. If it became a huge issue, then I would use a nut, spin it on, and weld it to the cone screw. Giving grip to remove and the heat to bust the "Red" loctite out of it death grip on your cone screw.

Or you carry a bag of them with you, and a 4mm wrench and replace them when they fall out.

You could also safety wire them if you never wanted to worry about it again.
malcolm2
how many threads do you think you have engaged? The factory bump uses them all.
mepstein
The JWest linkage kit uses a hex head bolt. No problem to install or remove.
jmitro
either that is a different bolt size/thread pitch OR the depth of thread engagement is much shallower than the factory part, so the bolt remains proud, not flush
rhodyguy
Jwest=hex bolt with tapered tip AND jam nut. Reusable. 0 loctite.
GregAmy
Does the Patrick part have a hole in the shaft into which the cone screw inserts? If not, then you're not supposed to use a stock cone screw, you're supposed to use a tapered tip screw (assuming supplied with the part).

If you use a cone screw on a solid shaft it'll fall out right quickly.

Edit: just to explain why that is, a cone screw slides snugly into a tapered hole; it works on shear on that cone. A tapered tip screw screws down into the steel shaft and, while it makes a slight indentation on the shaft, works primarily on friction.

This is why, if you're tightening down the [strike]tapered[/strike] correction: CONE screw so damned hard that you're stripping out the Allen head, you're doing it wrong. It needs to be snug, and you use blue Loc-Tite to keep the screw from backing out, not hammering it home.
Coondog
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 19 2019, 05:37 AM) *

Does the Patrick part have a hole in the shaft into which the cone screw inserts? If not, then you're not supposed to use a stock cone screw, you're supposed to use a tapered tip screw (assuming supplied with the part).

If you use a cone screw on a solid shaft it'll fall out right quickly.

Edit: just to explain why that is, a cone screw slides snugly into a tapered hole; it works on shear on that cone. A tapered tip screw screws down into the steel shaft and, while it makes a slight indentation on the shaft, works primarily on friction.

This is why, if you're tightening down the tapered screw so damned hard that you're stripping out the Allen head, you're doing it wrong. It needs to be snug, and you use blue Loc-Tite to keep the screw from backing out, not hammering it home.

Thanks, I will investigate more on the tapered tip screw, and yes PMS installed it with a cone screw.
Bartlett 914
A little hijack here about cone screws. These have a plastic button that acts as a dampener so the screw stays put. Once used it no longer has sufficient grip to hold the screw in place therefore new ones are recommended.

I purchase a bag of 1/8" nylon balls. Very cheap? 100 cost about the same as one cone screw. Heat the old screw and the plastic button will pop out easily. Put the nylon ball in the hole and press in place using a vise. When screwing on place, some of the ball will be cut off and it will seem that it is not working but I have found out it is working and it is only the excess being cut off. I never need to get new screws!
Chi-town
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 19 2019, 07:24 AM) *

A little hijack here about cone screws. These have a plastic button that acts as a dampener so the screw stays put. Once used it no longer has sufficient grip to hold the screw in place therefore new ones are recommended.

Or just put a dab of blue loctite on it and be done. confused24.gif
ndfrigi
txted this image also to sir Greg yesterday.

Click to view attachment
Coondog
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 19 2019, 07:24 AM) *

I purchase a bag of 1/8" nylon balls. Very cheap? 100 cost about the same as one cone screw. Heat the old screw and the plastic button will pop out easily. Put the nylon ball in the hole and press in place using a vise. When screwing on place, some of the ball will be cut off and it will seem that it is not working but I have found out it is working and it is only the excess being cut off. I never need to get new screws!

I believe that PMS reinstalled the same cone screw when I switched headers last summer. I remember them telling me they had to put a slight bend in the shift rod. That tells me they had to RR it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.