Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire Savers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
Started looking online for a set of tire savers to park the 914 and the prices range from $19.99 to $250 and many of the mid range items vary in price as much as $60 for what appears to be the exact same set. Any of you guys use them? Do they help protect the tires from becoming flat spotted? Any experience with certain brands being better than others? I've also thought of putting the car on jack stands to receive the weight on the tires but not so high that the suspension is fully extended.

Yeah, I know ..... just drive the car.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Nov 25 2019, 05:24 AM) *

Started looking online for a set of tire savers to park the 914 and the prices range from $19.99 to $250 and many of the mid range items vary in price as much as $60 for what appears to be the exact same set. Any of you guys use them? Do they help protect the tires from becoming flat spotted? Any experience with certain brands being better than others? I've also thought of putting the car on jack stands to receive the weight on the tires but not so high that the suspension is fully extended.

Jack stands.
Racer
I just put "extra" air in mine (30-32psi all around).

imho, as long as there is no salt on the pavement, wake her up and drive her during the winter.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2019, 06:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Nov 25 2019, 05:24 AM) *

Jack stands.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm proud to have been the recipient of your 1000th post.

first.gif
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 25 2019, 09:02 AM) *

imho, as long as there is no salt on the pavement, wake her up and drive her during the winter.

Hmm, I'm liking this idea. Does make for a much easier drive in the ever changing NC winter temperatures.

jvmarino
I like to up the pressure for storage as well. I also like to push the car a bit forward/backward every month or so, so the resting spot of the tire moves.
Superhawk996
Modern tires are more prone to flat spotting. The intermittent drives help more than the intermittent rolling which just serves to add more flat spots.

Depending on tire construction and rubber compound, you can get permanent changes in radial tire forces in as little as a month.

Jack stands are the sure fire way to avoid flat spots all together but you can balance the risk with the intermittent drives since your winters will allow that.
Garland

agree.gif just takes a few more cranks to fire up in the cool weather, and off you go!

Click to view attachment
Minerva's 914
Yeah, I like the idea of rotating the tires on pavement (as in driving it), hey it's NC. Don't like the weather, hang around a couple weeks.

I do think I'll pass on the tire savers, increase the pressure and for any extended parking I'll lift the car enough to receive the pressure on the tires.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 25 2019, 10:20 PM) *

agree.gif just takes a few more cranks to fire up in the cool weather, and off you go!

Click to view attachment

@Garland

Seriously? Are you driving that nice of a car on Michigan's salty, winter pot-holed roads? My hat's off to you.

When I had my original 914 it went into storage piror to 1st salt and then didn't come out until after the 1st couple spring rains had washed away the salt.

I used to buy $100-$200 "winter beater" cars to get though the slushy months. rolleyes.gif Things like worn out VW bugs, Datsun 510's, Chevy Caprice Classic. It really made me appreciate spring and the 914!
Garland
I avoid the “bad” roads, and never drive it on the salty slushy days. But when the roads dry (some salt dust only), or before the salt trucks make there pass, it’s a blast in the snow.
Charles Freeborn
I keep mine on "skates" I got from Harbor Freight. Lets me roll it around in the garage too. Adding some extra air is a good idea, and yes, drive or at least run it no less than once per month.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.