Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 axle flange question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Otmar
Hey Guys,
So I'm just starting to put a 915 trans in my Stretched Vanagon and I'm contemplating how to make the bus CVs fit the 915 transaxle.

The 915 transaxle has 108mm flanges with four 10mm bolts and two roll pins. What I want to connect to are bus CV's which are 100mm with six 8mm bolts.

So from previous threads I think I understand that the early 911s used the bus CVs, but I'm not completely sure. If I were to get flanges from a 1975-84 911, would they bolt up to my later transaxle? Would the CV side be a 100mm six 8mm bolt setup?

This really makes me wish my ETKA covered Porsches, sure is nice for VW and Audi.

Also, does anyone make CV spacers for the 100mm CVs or do I have to machine them myself? I need about 3/4" spacing per axle (unless I find a longer axle).

I could machine one adaptor to do it all in one, but I'm a slow on the lathe and would prefer the simplest solution.

btw: While we're all appreciating Brad, I must say I'm having all these warm and fuzzy thougths as I go through the pile of parts that Brad so generously got for me to do this project. He's one great guy! Anytime you need a hand Brad, I'm here for you.
Thanks!

Pic of my 915 flange attached:
Britain Smith
Your best bet is to give Hayden a call up at WEVO. He is the unofficial 915 king!

Also, I have a couple sets of extra 915 axels if you need to take some measurements...they are all different.

-Britain
Otmar
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Jul 2 2005, 04:36 PM)
Your best bet is to give Hayden a call up at WEVO.  He is the unofficial 915 king!

Thanks Britain,
WEVO, I had never heard of them but a quick google shows that they are local. Super!
I guess I have to wait till after the holiday. Got it all on the floor now, can't wait to have a 5 speed in the Stretch!
neo914-6
Otmar,

I think this is opposite of what you are doing but maybe these guys have something else... Patrick Motorsports flange adapter
ClayPerrine
The 100MM 6 bolt flanges sound like the ones used for the 944 axle conversion on a 914. Try finding the axle flanges from a 75-76 vintage 915 tranny. They are coarse splined, but they will fit the 100mm 6 bolt axle.

Otmar
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2005, 05:07 AM)
The 100MM 6 bolt flanges sound like the ones used for the 944 axle conversion on a 914. Try finding the axle flanges from a 75-76 vintage 915 tranny. They are coarse splined, but they will fit the 100mm 6 bolt axle.

Thanks Clay,
Also thanks Felix for the link.

I'll be looking for 75-76 flanges then. I guess a trip to HPH and WEVO are on the list tomorrow.

That 944 gives me another idea.
I'm trying to find some stock axles that will be the right length, the 944 gives me another car to check.

The Bentley for Vanagons has axle lengths in it.
Anyone have 911 or 944 bentleys that could see if they list lengths? If I put it the engine and trans the middle I'll be looking for 22.3" axles but I may offset the whole thing a bit with uneven axle lengths.

Hey Britain, could I bother you to throw a tape measure on those 915 axles?

Thanks again for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.