Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Mirror Parts Availability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello, my side mirrors are in need of new glass and liners, what holds the glass in place. I know 914 Rubber sells the glass but is there a source for the liners? Is there a technique for removing and reusing the original liners without damage?
Thanks in advance.
Jack
914Sixer
Check with AA, I think they made the black plastic outer trim rings. No one makes the clear inner liner.
mepstein
Mark said he is making them this spring.
I feel your pain, I need 26 of them.
Most of mine have disintegrated.
@Mikey914
Jett
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 14 2019, 07:38 PM) *

@Mikey914

+1!

Mark, can you make them now? I will take four pre-72 and six newer. Can you also make the passenger mirror... I know you can have them made with the right optics but it’s a pain.
914Sixer
I had new glass cut for my mirrors using glare resistant glass. Glass shop used inserts from factory mirrors of some vehicle and was able to make the passenger side is convex.
914forme
agree.gif Convex pass side is a dream of mine.

But then you have to drive it to really need it.
Mikey914
We are actually making the early and late with retaining rings
Jett
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 15 2019, 10:13 AM) *

We are actually making the early and late with retaining rings

ETA?
mepstein
QUOTE(jack20 @ Dec 14 2019, 09:10 PM) *

Hello, my side mirrors are in need of new glass and liners, what holds the glass in place. I know 914 Rubber sells the glass but is there a source for the liners? Is there a technique for removing and reusing the original liners without damage?
Thanks in advance.
Jack

As to technique, I use my fingernail to pull off the black plastic gasket. It's very strong and rarely breaks. don't use a screwdriver, it cracks the edge of the stainless back.

Lube all the hardware inside the arm and mirror back. It dries out, corrodes and you bend up the mirror back trying to twist the pivots.

A little mothers polish makes them look like new.
FlacaProductions
I just did the same refurb on my mirrors. fingernail to pull the black border off. Luckily, both of my liners were in tact but it was dirty in there. Dismantled all of it, cleaned and re-greased and then put it back together.

I kept my current glass as it's got just a little patina around the edges and it's original, i'm sure. Just waiting for the spring so I can go for a ride and make sure everything is tight enough to prevent vibration/shaking. The movement on the is really nice now, tho.
mepstein
Yea, don’t try to turn them if they are stuck. You just damage the stainless housing .
Mikey914
QUOTE(Jett @ Dec 14 2019, 09:45 PM) *

@Mikey914

+1!

Mark, can you make them now? I will take four pre-72 and six newer. Can you also make the passenger mirror... I know you can have them made with the right optics but it’s a pain.

We are actually in the process of doing these. They have been drawn up, and we are starting tooling. It will require some machine time, we have a few other projects scheduled in.

We are actively working on over 25 projects as I write this. We do some contract manufacturing as well as what we do here. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just bumping it up. I can tell you we are 6 months in on these and the tooling will be started in the next 30 days. We typically don't announce projects until they are eminent so you don't have the "wait" time.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 17 2019, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Dec 14 2019, 09:45 PM) *

@Mikey914

+1!

We are actually in the process of doing these. They have been drawn up, and we are starting tooling. It will require some machine time, we have a few other projects scheduled in.

We are actively working on over 25 projects as I write this. We do some contract manufacturing as well as what we do here. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just bumping it up. I can tell you we are 6 months in on these and the tooling will be started in the next 30 days. We typically don't announce projects until they are eminent so you don't have the "wait" time.

beerchug.gif
Jett
Thanks Mark, makes sense.
jack20
Thanks for all the info and tips. Very much appreciated. I’ll probably wait for Mark to finish but I do want a convex mirror on the passengers side when I do this project.
euro911
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.