Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fused and relayed front electricals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
90quattrocoupe
So my car is up at PMB performance for a little work. I am not much of an electrical type person, when it comes to cars. So I asked them to install fuses and relays for the headlights, fogs and horns. You know, switches getting a little old and don't want to put undo stress on them.
This is a picture of where they installed them. I think they did a nice job.
The fuse box is a BLUE SEA SYSTEMS–ST Blade Compact 4-Circuit Fuse Block
The relay box is a HELLA H84988001 4-Way Mini Relay Box Kit

Greg W.

IPB Image
barefoot
I did a similar thing with the 4 un-fuzed positive wires at the battery.
I'd installed a new to me wiring harness and wanted to make sure everything was hooked up properly. i'd hate to have some burned up wires after all that work.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
IMHO & if you have a choice, fuses are best placed before all the wiring that provides the power. The basic fuse panel under the dash or close to the battery is actually the safest way to go. Fuses at the battery are the best.
rhodyguy
That firewall setup is slick.
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(windforfun @ Dec 15 2019, 03:26 PM) *

IMHO & if you have a choice, fuses are best placed before all the wiring that provides the power. The basic fuse panel under the dash or close to the battery is actually the safest way to go. Fuses at the battery are the best.

Unless I am mistaken, the fuses do come in before providing power. The hot lead is at the bottom of the fuse box, through fuses with, leads providing power to the relays. The switches at the dash are just switching the relays on and off.

Greg W.
lierofox
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Dec 16 2019, 11:24 AM) *

Unless I am mistaken, the fuses do come in before providing power. The hot lead is at the bottom of the fuse box, through fuses with, leads providing power to the relays. The switches at the dash are just switching the relays on and off.

Greg W.

There's a set of wires that are un-fused for a considerable distance, one set goes to the engine bay relay board, one going to the under-dash fuse panel to fuses 10, 11 and 12, and one going to the ignition switch. So if any of those wires chafe and short to ground, there's no protection of any kind.
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(lierofox @ Dec 16 2019, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Dec 16 2019, 11:24 AM) *

Greg W.

There's a set of wires that are un-fused for a considerable distance, one set goes to the engine bay relay board, one going to the under-dash fuse panel to fuses 10, 11 and 12, and one going to the ignition switch. So if any of those wires chafe and short to ground, there's no protection of any kind.

Understood, I thought you were talking about the picture in the original post.

Greg W.
johnorm
QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 15 2019, 02:29 PM) *

I'd installed a new to me wiring harness and wanted to make sure everything was hooked up properly. i'd hate to have some burned up wires after all that work.

Click to view attachment

What size wire did you use from the Battery to the Fuse box, what size of fuse and I assume the four wires from the fuse box are 10/12 gauge wire?
barefoot
QUOTE(johnorm @ Jan 20 2020, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 15 2019, 02:29 PM) *

What size wire did you use from the Battery to the Fuse box, what size of fuse and I assume the four wires from the fuse box are 10/12 gauge wire?

Not sure of the wire gage, but it measures .285" over the insulation.
It's some leftover I had from a marine project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.