Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autopsy of the (black and) yellow submarine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Porsche Rescue
See the "Real LE" thread below for the history.

Car was in a flash flood in Pennsylvania late last summer. It was in a shop nearing completion of a six conversion. Owner had blown up two big fours before deciding to try a six. Engine was from Motormeister. Car was under water up to the dash for about 30 minutes. Nationwide settled with the car owner and it went to auction. Bought by fellow in Ventura, CA last Oct. and he stored it until last month when he decided time did not allow for a project. It went to Ebay and I bought it with an offer before the auction ended.

JP Stein joined me for the beginning of the autopsy. We opened the sump drain plug and here is what we found. Not much oil, 2+ quarts of water.
Porsche Rescue
After removing the screen JP fished out this pile of shrapnel.
Don't think water did this!
Porsche Rescue
Engine out, using JP's very slick jack and boxes. My four post allowed lifting the car instead of dropping the engine.
Joe Bob
Ouch....floods AND Motor Meister....ya need a shaman, five virgins, a gross of chickens and a bottle of tekilya to negate THAT mad MOJO.....woof... cool_shades.gif
Porsche Rescue
You ain't seen nothin' yet Z

Pennsylvania silt.
Porsche Rescue
And more silt
Porsche Rescue
Plugs
Porsche Rescue
Clutch disc dissolved. Hope the rusty p. plate and flywheel can be saved.
Porsche Rescue
Found an unusual starter.
Porsche Rescue
Here is proof that MM seated at least one intake valve properly.
Held a port full for a year!
Porsche Rescue
Think there might be water in the fuel?
Porsche Rescue
I have now completely disassembled the engine and split the case. Haven't taken any pics of the results but will do so soon. Stay tuned to see a Motormeister engine that has never been driven. (I am not yet sure if the shop ran it on the bench before install. I intend to find out).
Joe Bob
Seen worse, looks like it was gotten to early and quite saveable....don't toss out the virgins and the Tekillya too soon though....

Goat boy should be chiming in soon....
redshift
Porschequarium

M
Aaron Cox
porschubmarine wink.gif
redshift
Das Boot
J P Stein
Hummm.....What's the shittage in that intake port? Also,
that is not a stock 2.7L intake port..appears to be a small port carb head.

MM did sumthin' there....it appears to be a half assed porting job.
redshift
Still waiting for a video of you sliding around, JP.

M
Porsche Rescue
Ok, here's the the rocker side of one bank. Cam not rusty, just a little light rust on the rockers.
Porsche Rescue
Here's the hot side. Must have been run by someone on the bench but pretty fresh looking.
Porsche Rescue
Now for the gore.......... #4 guess we know where the shrapnel came from. Pretty strong flood currents in Pennsylvania!
Porsche Rescue
Alusil cylinders by the way. Here is #1. Lots nicer than 4.
Porsche Rescue
#5 got hit by hard water too.
Porsche Rescue
Case looks good to my eye.
JP, can small bore heads be installed on 90mm cylinders?
J P Stein
Hummm....the rings appear to be intact.....cept maybe the oil ring. That could be a chicken/egg deal. My WAG, galling....
non ferocoated piston on a Alusil cylinder.....Musta made *some* noise laugh.gif
How did the rod look?

Bring them suckers to the AX tomorrow for "show & tell".
We can set it on the registration desk.
laugh.gif
Porsche Rescue
Gotta get JP over here with his measuring sticks to see what we have for a crank.

Shop owner told me the car had never been on the road as a six. Pretty obvious that is true since it has a new Velios tank which has never been plumbed. He said the motor was "fresh" from Motormeister. I intend to call him to make sure and to ask if he ran it before it was installed. Meantime, I don't think I'll be asking MM to build the replacement. I might suggest he order his next one from somewhere else.

I'll post some pics of the interior in a few days. You would never know it was submerged, unless you noticed the high water lines inside the gauge lenses!!!
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jul 2 2005, 07:31 PM)
Now for the gore.......... #4 guess we know where the shrapnel came from. Pretty strong flood currents in Pennsylvania!

Nice reused parts rebuild
biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jul 2 2005, 07:36 PM)
Case looks good to my eye.
JP, can small bore heads be installed on 90mm cylinders?

If ya got a Mill or lathe laugh.gif
LuckieO
For the record, my husband will lose sleep over this...he is currently in the pooper and wishes to remain undisturbed! He is moaning and groaning over flood damage!

Luck huh.gif
Joe Bob
Thanks for the visual..... icon8.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jul 2 2005, 07:43 PM)
Gotta get JP over here with his measuring sticks to see what we have for a crank.

Shop owner told me the car had never been on the road as a six. Pretty obvious that is true since it has a new Velios tank which has never been plumbed. He said the motor was "fresh" from Motormeister. I intend to call him to make sure and to ask if he ran it before it was installed. Meantime, I don't think I'll be asking MM to build the replacement. I might suggest he order his next one from somewhere else.

I'll post some pics of the interior in a few days. You would never know it was submerged, unless you noticed the high water lines inside the gauge lenses!!!

Stand in line if ya think that MM will stand behind anything unless they are behind you to push you over a cliff...

There's a current "I got got fucked by MM for the tune of 14K" on the Bird Board....besides hiring Cousin Guido to go shoot off some knee caps....nothing will happen.

The BAR has let these assholes rip off people for years.
Porsche Rescue
No thought of trying to get satisfaction from MM. I bought the car assuming engine was a boat anchor (but hoping to get lucky). I just want to get the facts straight, and if appropriate, advise the shop in PA to do business elsewhere next time.

I have arranged to have a 2.7 built to install in the car this summer. If case (7R)and crank are good I will sell them. Head assemblies might be usable, depending on whether or not I can determine what they are!
rhodyguy
i bought flood car years ago jim. tap on the longs. do they sound "not hollow"? i cut one open and the silt was 3/4 of the way to the top. ohmy.gif

k
grantsfo
Wonder if anyone collected insurance money on that "flood" damage? If they did bet that car was being towed all over town in search of a low spot in the road biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Looks like you'll be busy spending money on that six. Time to sell me 2233 biggrin.gif
GWN7
I made a submarine a few years ago. S15 on a boat ramp. E brake failed. Boat floated up and jamed against the dock. Saved the truck from going straight down.

The rust issues didn't apear until a few years later and strangely enough the rust started right at the dipping line.

Hope the hidden spots didn't fill with water. It looks like a nice car.
Phoenix
Hi all:

I usually am on the Pelican board and saw is post covering Motormeister.

A few years ago I had major issues with them one being the fact that they replaced the 7R case on my 73.5T with a 5R for no apparent reason and without telling me that they did or why (you can read the whole story on the PP board by search Phoenix and Motormeister). My belief is that they took my 7R cas to build a higher performance engine.

Just out of morbid curiousity, does the case you have bear the serial number 6135540?

It's a long shot, but if I manage to find the case, I'll have something solid on them.

My advice with MM is do your homework, read up on case histories thne make your own decision.

... Oliver
Porsche Rescue
The case is at JP Stein's right now. I'll email him and ask that he look at this thread.
J P Stein
6141129, sorry. I hope you turned them into the cops for theft.
The 73 7R case is the most sought after of all the mag cases and thus worth more..
LongARM
good story....and nice find...
definitely has a story..

smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 3 2005, 08:05 AM)
Wonder if anyone collected insurance money on that "flood" damage? If they did bet that car was being towed all over town in search of a low spot in the road biggrin.gif

exactly what i've been thinking ...
shop installs /6.
fires it up.
it blows up in smoke.
they push the car on a trailer and drive to the next river.

flashflood! and voila, the insurance company pays for the whole crap-o-la ...
icon8.gif Andy
J P Stein
Devious minds.....just like mine biggrin.gif
*Somebody* started it.....but not in the car...it scattered and it didn't die quietly.
There was no oil in it....but a gallon of water....plus silt.
Jim mentioned that it was the second motor from MM, right?

Supposedly, the car was the owners baby & he had it fixed price insured for 25 K. Since he already had blowed up a couple t-4s, maybe he decided it was jinxed.
Porsche Rescue
My initial detective work says it was a legit. accident. Shop owner told me they first got an engine from MM with poor oil pressure and sent it back. That suggests they bench ran the first one. Would seem to me they would have heard this one self-destruct and sent it back too. However, it was installed but not wired or plumbed.
I found the shop by calling a PCA officer from the Pittsburgh area trying to find the former owner. He told me about the flood and gave me name and number of the shop. He said several cars were lost. Only a couple that were on lifts were saved. Shop owner told me the car was under for about 30 minutes. High water line was mid-glovebox. Water did not reach the gauge console. I left a phone message with former owner but he did not return my call. I will probably try again. Shop owner said losing the car was like losing a child for the guy, so he might not want to talk about it. I was told he had $50K in the car (multiple engines, major repaint, lots of mods (cage, fuel cell, chassis stiffening, bushings, Bilsteins, pair of Koenigs, custom carpet, 7" Revolution wheels, fiberglass rear bumper, front dam, etc.). Apparently it was all done by pros. Owner was not a DIY type. Two different people said the car was "agreed value" insured and he received $25K. Car now has a salvage title.
I have stripped interior and removed floor tar. All is well there. Removed fuel cell and surround and cleaned silt from trunk floor. Drained tranny and found mostly gear oil with maybe 8 ounces of water. Plan to refill and use it until I hear problems. I have a rebuilt 2.7 with Webers on the way. Optimistic goal is to make the start at our local AX on 9/11 (ominous date!).
SirAndy
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Aug 3 2005, 06:22 PM)
I have stripped interior and removed floor tar. All is well there.

like said above in another post, you gotta check out all the hollow spaces (longs, center tunnel, seat support, the rails between pass. cabin and front trunk) ...

you don't want *any* of that stuff sitting in there attracting moisture ...
icon8.gif Andy
Porsche Rescue
I've checked all of that as best I can. I guess if it rusts it won't be any different than most 914's.
Porsche Rescue
Jeff Hines (sixnotfour) offered to build a new heart for the submarine. It is a stock 2.7, '77 case with Webers. He delivered a beautiful long block and I am in the process of assembling and installing. Goal is to autocross on 9/11.
Only problem, I don't want to get it dirty!
Porsche Rescue
Ain't it pretty!
goose2
smilie_pokal.gif beautiful Jim...and Jeff
Rough_Rider
Looking very sweet there Jim, hey if you need a hand shout.

Would be great to have her at the AX.. Oeerr.
brant
Jim,

you have any interest in selling the wet webbers?

(still looking for some type of carbs for a project)

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.