Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 1.8 L doesn't want to start with petrol? Wrong distributor without negative pressure to blame?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Leon.paradise
Hello I am from Germany and hope that someone from you can finally help me. Unfortunately I have not found anyone who could help me. This year I bought an American Porsche 914, 1.8 L, with 76 HP, which is original and has not been moved since 1997 and has never driven in Europe. It is a project the car has an L-Jetronic injection system. I have already exchanged a lot to start the engine with petrol, unfortunately without success until now. It wanted to ignite with Spray Gas, but not with gasoline. The following components were rinsed out or tried out: new tank, power pump, lines, filters, injection nozzles, ultrasound cleaned, other control unit, wiring harness measured perfectly, new spark plugs. Spark is there. Air mass meter supposedly OK. I have the 7 pin connector. But the car is not running. I have been looking for the mistake since May. In Germany almost no L-Jetronic only drive D-Tronic or carburettors. Question to you, you can also operate the Porsche L-Jetronic with 009 distributor without vacuum socket. Or does he necessarily need an ignition distributor with a vacuum socket. Now I have the distributor (0231 178 009). Did you find out that it is unsuitable? Since it works on carburetors and not on L-jetronic? I have now bought a (022905205S) because it was originally installed ex works? Ask for help and your answers. Greetings Leon

timothy_nd28
You will want to get the correct distributor for the car. But, with the 009 distributor, the car should still start.

The Ljet is very finicky style fuel injection. If there are any vacuum leaks, it will cause a no start condition. You will need to make sure that all hoses are on, and or capped for the ones you aren't using. Then, turn the ignition switch on and push the flap inside the air flow meter. You should hear the fuel pump turn on. If the pump turns on, we can continue with the next step

Post some pictures of your engine bay

welcome.png
Leon.paradise
Hello, when I turn the ignition key, I hear the pump running and it doesn't stop working. It is new but not original, so the fuel comes up to the injectors. I cleaned the injection nozzles ultrasonically and they work with the appropriate testing device, only not in the car? Greetings Leon
timothy_nd28
A 009 distributor is strike one. Fuel pump turning on with the key is strike two. Post some pictures, let's find strike three! biggrin.gif
MartyYeoman
Make sure the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor is functional and hooked up. The car won't start without it.
914fahrer
QUOTE(Leon.paradise @ Dec 30 2019, 09:04 PM) *

Hello, when I turn the ignition key, I hear the pump running and it doesn't stop working. It is new but not original, so the fuel comes up to the injectors. I cleaned the injection nozzles ultrasonically and they work with the appropriate testing device, only not in the car? Greetings Leon

This is not normal .If it is a L-jetronic the fuel pump only works ,when the flap from the AFM is moving ,there is a contact inside the AFM.
Leon.paradise
Click to view attachment
Leon.paradise
Hello here are some pictures of my engine
Leon.paradise
Hello, I have problems with the setting of pictures, but what can be to blame that the pump runs when I turn the key in the ignition lock without the fuel pump stopping working if the engine does not start. What could that be? I am so desperate and in the end I don't know what to do. Am considering whether I should not convert to carburetors if I get stuck here? Can someone give me a recommendation whether the double carburetor would be a better choice and how I can finally get the car moving? How well does a 1.8 L engine with double carburettor run? If someone sees the pictures of my engine I can send them to you by e-mail, then send me your e-mail. Kind regards Leon

dr914@autoatlanta.com
it should not, maybe the air flow meter flap is sticking because it is warped from lean backfire?

QUOTE(Leon.paradise @ Dec 30 2019, 01:04 PM) *

timothy_nd28
George is absolutely correct, a warped AFM flap will keep the fuel pump on. Even a small backfire can cause that flap to warp. Leon, you should manually push open the flap inside the air flow meter, and see if it springs back closed. Also, verify the flap moves without hanging up.

I can help walk you through diagnosing the issue. Do yo have a voltmeter? You will also need to figure out how to add pictures
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.