Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT fuel tank question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
I've been around fuel cells and know that they require maintenance and replacement of the bladders...but this is on a customer's gt build; foam baffles inserted into the 100L tank. Yep...correct, several years ago these were inserted into the tank , I can only guess for keeping the slosh down and now these have disintegrated inside the tank.
Any fuel tank gurus out there, I know that cutting the tank open/and fabricating it back together is an option, but looking for solutions.Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
cut up cubes or balls ..stuff through filler neck....there is no any reason to cut the og tank or make a replacement......I did it on a Cobra...
sixnotfour
How is That Guy anywaysss....heard he had a replica built ???

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 31 2019, 10:24 PM) *

cut up cubes or balls ..stuff through filler neck....there is no any reason to cut the og tank or make a replacement......I did it on a Cobra...

Thanks for that tip...will attempt in the next couple weeks. Msds customer will be a very Happy Camper !!!
sixnotfour
Yes Cleaning out the old was tough,,small handed helper helps alot..
PlaysWithCars
Could you dump a solvent into the tank that will dissolve the old baffles? Lacquer thinner maybe? confused24.gif Then put in the replacement chunks per Jeff's suggestion.
wndsrfr
Flush with water and detergent....Dry it. Maybe 24 hours air blow..use shop vac to get residue out.
Still you won't get it all so I would leave off the in tank screen and put a racor plastic bowl filter on it to separate the inevitable stuff out.

Actually better to scrap the tank & install new.. ..
sixnotfour
Actually better to scrap the tank & install new.. ..

its a factory GT 100 liter tank.....
Maltese Falcon
Foam problem solved...thank you all for your input !

Next up is the 2nd tank...it has a filler cap that has "Mated" itself to the filler neck...won't budge and we are not looking to butcher it off of its resting place either sad.gif

We came up with soaking the filler neck with pB blaster for a week, and trying to wrench it off with a toothed-neoprene belt ; no-go.

More pB soaking, and another few days with the tank inverted for more soak...nada
So my bud found an adjustable "Pin" wrench online, did a bit of custom contour grinding and presto >> hit the jackpot.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The right tool gives the right result, like this...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Modified the pins with a small abrasive Makita disc, so the tool can rotate within the confines of the filler neck
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
flag.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.