Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gauge swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
I found a really cool gauge from an early 911 to install into my 914. the pressure side works great, but the temp side pegs out. do i need the correct sender to make this thing work? all the wiring from sender to gauge checks out, and the orginal sender from the 914 worked before the install. is it the gauge or the sender?
Bleyseng
You need the correct early 911 sender.
Joe Bob
How early is early? I just removed one from a 2.0/6.....it works, but not with my later VDO gauge....
Bleyseng
maybe this will help
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, no serial number on the oil temp sender...it DOES have 11/67 on the side. I assume that is a build date. It's yours for the cost of shipping if you want to try it.

The one that "I" needed cost 45 bucks... blink.gif
rhodyguy
i have a euro gauge i've wanted to put in for some time. only number i can find is 0033. you can't see it when the unit is in the housing. 0033 isn't listed in that chart geoff. any ideas? confused24.gif

k
Bleyseng
Kevin, order one of each and test the gauge with the senders in boiling water. Send the wrong one back. happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
so a 911 sender will screw directly into the taco plate?

too cool

AA
rhodyguy
well i guess i could do that. rolleyes.gif or, just call north hollywood speedo, give them the numbers and see what they suggest. or, spend $500 and buy one of their gauges ready to go. sad.gif yes aaron you just have to know which one is the appropriate sender. wink.gif it doesn't screw in. you have to pull the taco plate to access the retaining nut on the backside, and then figure out what you will use for the gaskets that are nla.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 4 2005, 08:55 AM)
well i guess i could do that. rolleyes.gif or, just call north hollywood speedo, give them the numbers and see what they suggest. or, spend $500 and buy one of their gauges ready to go. sad.gif yes aaron you just have to know which one is the appropriate sender. wink.gif it doesn't screw in. you have to pull the taco plate to access the retaining nut on the backside, and then figure out what you will use for the gaskets that are nla.

k

i got the same numbered 911 gauge as you do...and i also need a 10bar pressure sender rolleyes.gif

100 bucks in senders....yikes
Joe Bob
Buying the sender WITH the gauge is cheaper than buying seperate.....you can try MY temp sender for the cost of shipping....if it doesn't work, sell the gauge and sender seperately to some schmuck on evilbay biggrin.gif

Then buy the properly matched one(s)....
rhodyguy
mike, if you have a couple of diff senders i would sure enjoy pulling the taco plate numerous times. then converting *c to *f with my rectal thermometer. sorry for the hijacked.gif dave. if you can get the numbers off the gauge north hollywood can prob set you up with what you need www.nhspeedometer.com.

k
Joe Bob
Just have the one.....that came off of Manfred's power plant. I have some T4 ones around some place....
Triaddave
thanks to everyone for the input. we tried the gauge on a different car, a 914/6, and the darn thing pegged again. i was sure looking at that gauge with the press/temp and the fuel, that would be ideal. the thought was to connect the low fuel light to the parking brake light. a fuel gauge would be nice...
Joe Bob
The gauge should have four wires....ground, sender, power and light power.....got them hooked up right?
Triaddave
yes, all the wires are connected correctly,doubled checked and checked again....aaarg.
Joe Bob
OK...cause pegging usually means something is hooked up wrong.

VDO has a trouble shooting guide on their website and I'm sure they have pics or the matching senders...

BTW...I assume that the wires have been checked for breaks/ground faults with a voltmeter or Fluke?
Bleyseng
Yeah, sounds like a short otherwise it should just read goofy if its the wrong sender.

Kevin, you can try it with my sender if you want. We can boil some water and check it out. The sender is sitting on the workbench at the shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.