Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock rods with ARP bolts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boothy
Greetings all!

Rebuilding a 1.7 for simple daily use. Crank is going to Rimco, running CB street cam with dual Weber 40s.

On to the rods. Looking at the H-beam but not sure I need all that. Read that the stock connecting rods are beefy enough but the bolt are often the issue. Go with rebuilt stock rods and ARP bolts?

Thanks in advance!
porschetub
QUOTE(Boothy @ Jan 11 2020, 04:35 AM) *

Greetings all!

Rebuilding a 1.7 for simple daily use. Crank is going to Rimco, running CB street cam with dual Weber 40s.

On to the rods. Looking at the H-beam but not sure I need all that. Read that the stock connecting rods are beefy enough but the bolt are often the issue. Go with rebuilt stock rods and ARP bolts?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about the bolts never read about any issues with normal use,some folks say the nuts need to be replaced each time but I never have unless they are damaged @ the threads.
You don't need 'H' beam rods,EMW offer rebuilt sets for a very reasonable price and no cores required.
Boothy
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 10 2020, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Boothy @ Jan 11 2020, 04:35 AM) *

Greetings all!

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about the bolts never read about any issues with normal use,some folks say the nuts need to be replaced each time but I never have unless they are damaged @ the threads.
You don't need 'H' beam rods,EMW offer rebuilt sets for a very reasonable price and no cores required.

Thank you!
malcolm2
I read something the other day about the need for H-beams. I got that they are more for racers, doing high revs. Seem to be for the weight reduction and strength. Less weight = more HP. So OEM rods are strong but heavy. So the poster felt that they were fine for a street upgrade. Would be easy to balance them and the whole rotating mass once you have everything out. Same post did suggest replacing the rod nuts, no mention of bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.