Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why would anyone ever color change a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cairo94507
Thank you very much Rob (@BeatNavy; Kent Simmons, (Auto Art Customs in Torrance, CA) is a true master. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 15 2020, 05:09 PM) *

I color changed a car from one shade of blue to another. I was happy with it for the first five years and then slowly came to regret the decision.

poke.gif I regret it too.. Because both Betty and I love the color on the car. But it is not the original color, so eventually it will be painted back to the factory color.

I color changed my 73 six conversion. It was Delphi Green metallic. But after sitting in a field for years before my friend bought it, the paint had faded to OD green. Two drunks painting it with rattle can black, and twice being hit by 3/4 ton Ford pickups, there wasn't much left of the original color. A full strip and repaint turned him Bahia red, including all the trunks, engine compartment, and floorpans. I am incredibly happy with the color change. But I will admit, I kept one small bolt on part that is still Delphi Green Metallic. It can't be seen, and I will never tell anyone where it is.

raynekat
My thoughts on color changes. If done right and it's a great color....no harm, no foul. You'll always find a buyer if it's a high quality paint job with the right color. Only the most anal of Porsche purists will complain. Life's short...live it like you want.
aggiezig
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 18 2020, 06:26 PM) *

My thoughts on color changes. If done right and it's a great color....no harm, no foul. You'll always find a buyer if it's a high quality paint job with the right color. Only the most anal of Porsche purists will complain. Life's short...live it like you want.

+1
bkrantz
Painting my project is months away, but voices are telling me to change the color.

When time for painting, it will be a completely stripped, bare shell, with doors and lids off, and in need of paint in much of the inside. Thus a color change can be done "properly".

The original color is Bahia Red, which I do like. And while I have the original engine confirmed by the COA, by the time I am done, the body will be a bit of a Franken-car, with replacement sheet metal in the front right, rear right and trunk floor, passenger floor, and substitute left door, and both trunk lids. So not an "original" car that a picky buyer might be looking for someday.

Am I right in thinking that any loss in value from changing the color would not be significant compared to the reduced value given the restoration history?

And FWIW the most tempting color (today) is Saturn Yellow. Or maybe Olympic Blue. Or...
rgalla9146
Color change ?
Because I started with a very colorful blank canvas.
Originally Palma green metallic. A beautiful color.
Repair of metallic ? No thanks.
I chose Light ivory, it's subtle, period correct and repairable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.