Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone ever made a 914/8 clone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914forme
None of this is hard, not the case, not the crank, cams, cam towers, etc... It just takes serious $$$$ to do one off parts.

Hell you could 3D print all this stuff in PLA and sand cast it.

Again very doable, but my friends with serious money are not into 914s. And they would not drop a dime on this project. So you have to find a combination. Someone who loves 914s, and the 914-8 specifically, and the monetary means to pull this project off.

Engineering and building wise, is the easiest part of the build.

But @Mikey914 I am currently not happy with you. shades.gif I find that my spare time now has been spent figuring out how to do this. headbang.gif I don't need another project in my head right now. I have about 5 of them that have been designed and ready in my head. 914-6 restomod. 914 EG conversion. an AWD Karmann Ghia with Subaru Power. A Dual cab AWD Subaru power. A Willys Pickup with X-drive and a N54 swap. And now a 914-8 with a working 3.0L 8 cylinder, making about 400HP. This does not include all the machine tools, and workshop projects I have yet to build.

But the one that is kicking me right now is transmission. So many choices beside 908 box.

I should have stuck with building scale models, so much cheaper, and I could have all these cool car ideas that as of right now, I can not afford but a couple.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 18 2020, 07:08 PM) *

None of this is hard, not the case, not the crank, cams, cam towers, etc... It just takes serious $$$$ to do one off parts.

Again very doable, but my friends with serious money are not into 914s. And they would not drop a dime on this project. So you have to find a combination. Someone who loves 914s, and the 914-8 specifically, and the monetary means to pull this project off.

But @Mikey914 I am currently not happy with you. shades.gif I find that my spare time now has been spent figuring out how to do this. headbang.gif I don't need another project in my head right now. I have about 5 of them that have been designed and ready in my head. 914-6 restomod. 914 EG conversion. an AWD Karmann Ghia with Subaru Power. A Dual cab AWD Subaru power. A Willys Pickup with X-drive and a N54 swap. And now a 914-8 with a working 3.0L 8 cylinder, making about 400HP. This does not include all the machine tools, and workshop projects I have yet to build.

But the one that is kicking me right now is transmission. So many choices beside 908 box.

I should have stuck with building scale models, so much cheaper, and I could have all these cool car ideas that as of right now, I can not afford but a couple.

Let me add one to your list that has been in my head for a long time.

A W12 VW Phaeton engine and Boxster/Cayman six speed transmission in a 914.

The engine and trans share a common bolt pattern for the bell housing, the clutch parts from the Cayman should work. Maybe need a custom flywheel. Fitment should be no problem as engine is actually shorter than a 911 six cylinder. Put a Cayman rear suspension under it. Use a V-8 radiator kit. Aftermarket EFI.

Then you can have a real 914-12.

73-914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 19 2020, 01:15 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 18 2020, 07:08 PM) *

Let me add one to your list that has been in my head for a long time.

A W12 VW Phaeton engine and Boxster/Cayman six speed transmission in a 914.

The engine and trans share a common bolt pattern for the bell housing, the clutch parts from the Cayman should work. Maybe need a custom flywheel. Fitment should be no problem as engine is actually shorter than a 911 six cylinder. Put a Cayman rear suspension under it. Use a V-8 radiator kit. Aftermarket EFI.

Then you can have a real 914-12.

I like it The W8 would be a good fit also
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 18 2020, 08:08 PM) *

Ask Catorse how much he has into the tooling for new 3.6 cases. I think it's north of quarter mil. blink.gif
Also ask him how "easy" it was to do.

https://www.taorminaracingdesigns.com/produ...-6-engine-case/

IPB Image

IPB Image
914forme
agree.gif Easy, and he is building for a market. This would be a one off.

Okay well if it goes like a 906 windshield, I will have to make 10 to get the one I need. confused24.gif

The W12 - W8 engines are an interesting piece of engineering, never got to the point of wanting to swap them in anything.

And I keep coming back to if I am building a 914 with all the comforts, and handling of a Cayman, then why not just build the Cayman. It is a really awesome chassis. driving.gif
W12 Cayman idea.gif

headbang.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2020, 08:08 AM) *

Okay well if it goes like a 906 windshield, I will have to make 10 to get the one I need. confused24.gif

The W12 - W8 engines are an interesting piece of engineering, never got to the point of wanting to swap them in anything.

And I keep coming back to if I am building a 914 with all the comforts, and handling of a Cayman, then why not just build the Cayman. It is a really awesome chassis. driving.gif
W12 Cayman idea.gif

headbang.gif

The only reason the W-12 idea has not already been done is they are hard to find.

Clay
914forme
Just to keep this going drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

914forme
Just purchase a donor car

Detroit
As someone who designs engines for a living, I'd have to say, "Yes, you are off your rocker." Unless, of course, money has no meaning to you.
That said, IF you have the ability to build the cast tooling yourself, it might not be a mortgage your house endeavor. And at that point you may even create a bit of a market for a '908 build kit' for guys considering -6 conversions or building 904 replicas...
Because let's face it, why would you go through all the effort for a 911 soundtrack when you could listen to something closer to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eee2d9oknyM
tomeric914
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2020, 09:08 AM) *

W12 Cayman idea.gif

@914forme I'm not happy with you for that idea like you're not happy with @Mikey914

jerk beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Yes I have the capability to make my own tooling. I do enjoy challenges. Don’t want to take too much away from making new parts, but this is probably a 3 yr project for me. I don’t know if you call it a form of ADHD, but I tend to focus on multiple problems at once. I tend to actually enjoy it.
914werke
QUOTE(Detroit @ Jan 19 2020, 09:49 AM) *
Because let's face it, why would you go through all the effort for a 911 soundtrack when you could listen to something closer to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eee2d9oknyM
new_shocked.gif
That is why Electrics racing will always be lacking ....the auditory orgasm
Detroit
Dude, if you've got the ability and facilities to build your own tooling, the desire to do it, AND the time to do it, then please take this project on! No doubt you'd receive plenty of moral support from the Porsche community, myself included. I'm even tempted to offer help creating the math...
Johny Blackstain
Why not ask the factory if they still have the tooling & molds? Be easier to do with a super organized group buy idea.gif shades.gif Also, it's OEM biggrin.gif
mb911
Lets be honest here.. Catorce spent 1 mil on his project.. The 5 axis cnc was 350k alone.. Not including tooling,a building, staff, then designs and prototyping. I have spoken to Adam a few times as he is a huge 914 fan.. It would likely be easier to team up with him as he is 3/4 of the way there.. He has the machining and molds handled now to add 2 more cylinders..
Superhawk996
screwy.gif

I keep seeing the word easy being thrown around in this thread.

There is no easy button.
Chris914n6
928 motor with carbs. Not perfect but it's a tribute not a clone.

Or 2 Corvair motors if that hasn't been mentioned. The fan is in the right place poke.gif
914forme
"Easy" in the way that it can be done with out inventing a new form manufacturing or other item.

"Easy" by me is never meant to imply it will not take work, and time. It is meant more as this is not like trying we are trying to control particles and move billions of atoms across a time space continuum.

It will cost some serious money, time, and there will be problems, all projects have them. I can see why the term Easy used in the common way like the Staples ad would make you think well minimal effort required. Like anything worth doin, it will requires lots of blood, sweet, and tears.

@tomeric914 Your welcome beerchug.gif

Maltese Falcon
Both Pauter and Scat build spec cast T-1 (style) aluminum blocks. At least at that point with some engineering, fixtures, tig'ing ; mate the 2 blocks together= a flat 8 block.
Scat also builds custom spec crankshafts at small quantities, and this is welcome news for a venture project like this.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
NOONAN does billet cases.......no casting...
mepstein
Ok, the factory car has a 908 engine and trans. That’s really cool. The rest of the car is sort of ugly and only cool because Porsche built it. So say you made some sort of Frankenstein air cooled 8, got a 914 trans to fit the longer engine and modified a normal 914 to look like the factory car. Do you end up with something good or just something a 914 guy would find interesting.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 17 2020, 07:38 AM) *

Visual Clone, wolf coat on a sheep... popcorn[1].gif quad eyes

driving.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2020, 10:55 PM) *

Ok, the factory car has a 908 engine and trans. That’s really cool. The rest of the car is sort of ugly and only cool because Porsche built it. So say you made some sort of Frankenstein air cooled 8, got a 914 trans to fit the longer engine and modified a normal 914 to look like the factory car. Do you end up with something good or just something a 914 guy would find interesting.

agree.gif

A lot of time, money, and effort spent to simply get V8 power but with lower Center of Gravity. I guess you get bragging rights sort of the same as this joker below. Sure they did it but its a crap motorcycle if you actually want to ride it don't want to have to start multiple motors to go for a ride or 1/4 mile run and likely get beat by a stock Hayabusa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzx8Y--UNto

The other issues that issues that I haven't seen addressed as part of "easy" is adressing the torsional osciallations of the longer crank for an eight. Sure the factory did 8, 12, and even 16 but they were having a heck of a time with crank torsion and they had real casting, engineering, and development Dyno's at their disposal.
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 20 2020, 08:50 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2020, 10:55 PM) *

agree.gif

A lot of time, money, and effort spent to simply get V8 power but with lower Center of Gravity. I guess you get bragging rights sort of the same as this joker below. Sure they did it but its a crap motorcycle if you actually want to ride it don't want to have to start multiple motors to go for a ride or 1/4 mile run and likely get beat by a stock Hayabusa.

At least the motorcycle is a good ad for the engine brand. Any engine in a 914 is pretty much hidden away. You see some carbs, a fiberglass shroud and that's about it.
GregAmy
I'm still fascinated about how the conversation may have gone...

"Ok, so we have this new chassis...and we're tossing a VW Bus engine in it??"

"Yup" [in German, translated]

"Seems like something better should go in there...what about that 911 engine?"

"Cool" [also in German, translated]

"Wait...isn't Franz working on that new 3L FIA Group 6 engine...?"

"Here, hold my bier" [natch]
Chi-town
We can philosophize all day long but the most realistic idea would to be to call Noonan and see how much to add 2 cylinders to the design.

https://noonanrace.com/products/911-porsche-case

Call Arrows and have the custom crank made

http://arrowprecision.com/pages/crank-shafts

Call Webb Cams and have cams made

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Call AT Power and have an Intake and throttle body set up made

https://www.atpower.com/porsche-products

Then drag it to Marty @ MSDS or Burns stainless to have custom headers made.

mb911
I would love to do a setup for the 8.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 19 2020, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2020, 08:08 AM) *

W12 Cayman idea.gif

headbang.gif

The only reason the W-12 idea has not already been done is they are hard to find.

Clay

Phaeton’s are not hard to find, there is one local for under $15K... no idea what to do with the rest of the car.
Al Meredith
I was at Chuck Becks house for a Christmas party about 8 years ago and there on the garage floor was a 4 cylinder 911 engine. He was telling us (talk about a bench racing session) about he was protested for running a 2.0L 911 engine in a racing 914 because it was not a 4 cylinder . He said the rules only said 2 liters . So he cut down a 6 case to 4 cylinder 2.0 L 911 engine . I think he told me that Scat charged $5000 for a crank. He also had a 12 cylinder engine there which he built a motorcycle around . You can see that bike on J. Lano I think
Mueller
The crank wouldn't be that difficult, you can have one machined from billet steel. Less than $5K.
Mikey914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 19 2020, 07:30 PM) *

NOONAN does billet cases.......no casting...

I had not thought of this. Seems like a better route. I have access to a 6 axis machine, so may be the way to go.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.