Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery engine is out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mark Henry
The cylinders could be very early EMW nickasil.
sixnotfour
6 stud, this guy ? check behind rocker shaft..
http://markstephenshighperformance.com/
Brett W
Wow, Stephens is still in business all these years later? Interesting.
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, let me go look again. Have some penetrating oil on the area where the studs pass through the head.

Is there a chance the cylinders are re-usable?
914werke
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 15 2020, 08:34 PM) *
Once all of the cylinders head bolts are off the head should just pull off, correct?

Dont for get the under cylinder tin that is held by a 4-5mm bolt to the heads. But considering how wacky this build is not sure they are still there. confused24.gif
914werke
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 16 2020, 06:09 AM) *
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 16 2020, 06:52 AM) *
Id say more like, frightening! stromberg.gif IMO steer clear of these guys they are in a class of Motormiester & GEX! No, he closed his doors of the shop he had in Tahachapi some 20 years ago.
I was unaware he started up again, probably because the statute of limitations had elapsed for all the folks trying to sue him. LINK
Tdskip
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 16 2020, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 15 2020, 08:34 PM) *
Once all of the cylinders head bolts are off the head should just pull off, correct?

Dont for get the under cylinder tin that is held by a 4-5mm bolt to the heads. But considering how wacky this build is not sure they are still there. confused24.gif

I did not know that, let me make sure there’s nothing under there. I’ve been reluctant to get aggressive on removing it, will keep poking around and not force anything until you guys tell me it’s BFH time.

Thanks!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 13 2020, 11:28 PM) *

I wanted to follow up on several requests for pictures of the mystery engine after he tin has been removed.

Anyone recognize these bits?

Click to view attachment

The numbers on the cylinders are backwards. The right rear cylinder on a 914-4 engine is #3.

Do you have a picture of the bottom of the heads?

Tdskip
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2020, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 13 2020, 11:28 PM) *

I wanted to follow up on several requests for pictures of the mystery engine after he tin has been removed.

Anyone recognize these bits?

Click to view attachment

The numbers on the cylinders are backwards. The right rear cylinder on a 914-4 engine is #3.

Do you have a picture of the bottom of the heads?

I don’t but will get one and post it tonight. Thanks for the response Cue
Brett W
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 16 2020, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 16 2020, 06:09 AM) *
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 16 2020, 06:52 AM) *
Id say more like, frightening! stromberg.gif IMO steer clear of these guys they are in a class of Motormiester & GEX! No, he closed his doors of the shop he had in Tahachapi some 20 years ago.
I was unaware he started up again, probably because the statute of limitations had elapsed for all the folks trying to sue him. LINK

Stephens did my heads and supplied my pistons and cylinders back in the late 90s. He did what he did, I didn't know a lot better back then, but we straightened the cylinders and cut the bottoms. It worked out in the end, but apparently I got lucky.

Tdskip
Glad you did!
Tdskip
Is this the bolt @914werke ?

Click to view attachment

I had to cut the exhaust off, those exhaust manifold bolts weren’t moving.
914werke
Bingo. unless removed those heads arent coming off
Tdskip
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 16 2020, 09:19 PM) *

Bingo. unless removed those heads arent coming off

Thanks, removed but still not budging.

Found two more bolts - under the push rod tubes. Need to figure out how to remove those now...
Tdskip
The pushrod tubes just twist out I believe.

Check out the goop

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
If the head are really stuck on in the past I made an spark plug adapter and hooked a hydraulic power pack (tractor, wood splitter, car lift, etc) and it popped the head right off.

Did this on a 36hp engine with fairly high value okrasa heads and it worked good, but it's a bit messy if you miss the waste oil bucket.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 17 2020, 11:11 AM) *

If the head are really stuck on in the past I made an spark plug adapter and hooked a hydraulic power pack (tractor, wood splitter, car lift, etc) and it popped the head right off.

Did this on a 36hp engine with fairly high value okrasa heads and it worked good, but it's a bit messy if you miss the waste oil bucket.

Good idea. I like it!

Could the same thing be done with air pressure? 100 psi into two 100mm pistons/head chambers is 2400 lbs of force. Each cylinder contributing ~1200 lbs of force.

Seems like that would be plenty without the need to resort to hydraulics that would increase the force by an order of magnitude (x10) using 1000psi hydrualic pressure. Would be cleaner w/o risk of dumping oil. idea.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 17 2020, 12:09 AM) *

Check out the goop

Always amazes me. Mo goop = mo better sealing or so the logic goes. av-943.gif
rbzymek
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 17 2020, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 17 2020, 12:09 AM) *

Check out the goop

Always amazes me. Mo goop = mo better sealing or so the logic goes. av-943.gif

Superhawk,
I would not use air pressure because the head and cylinder would launch like a cannon when it let go.....unlike hydraulic fluid.
Tdskip
Got 3 of the 4 tubes out, they were really stuck in there.

Once the last one is out I can get to the plate that is blocking access to the remaining two bolts.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Mar 17 2020, 02:55 PM) *

Superhawk,
I would not use air pressure because the head and cylinder would launch like a cannon when it let go.....unlike hydraulic fluid.

rolleyes.gif Good point. Love the collective wisdom of the forum!
sixnotfour
pauter T1 ? simular fins
Tdskip
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 17 2020, 02:36 PM) *

pauter T1 ? simular fins

Hopefully I’ll have at least one of the cylinders off tomorrow and I will look for markings and take measurements etc. I’m always amazed at how much you guys know about these and related engines

Thanks
Tbrown4x4
@sixnotfour might have it nailed. One of your pictures looks like there is an extra head stud where the Pauter's are.
Mark Henry
Does it have 5 studs or 6 per cylinder?
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 18 2020, 07:43 AM) *

Does it have 5 studs or 6 per cylinder?

Check me on this but I count five.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Oops - 6 stud.

And BIG. Micrometer said 104mm piston bore.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
@914toy - Keith, your seat of the pants feel (as a passenger no less) for how much torque the car had was right.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Alot of thought/theory/work went into those heads.. popcorn[1].gif
jd74914
Very interesting...

Surprised they stayed single plug with all of that work and huge bore.
Tdskip
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 18 2020, 03:10 PM) *

Alot of thought/theory/work went into those heads.. popcorn[1].gif

I don’t have an eye for good versus bad on 914 heads. Could these be reusable or would it be smarter to go with a more standard genuine Porsche to eat her head that’s been ported etc.?

My immediate thought is the more standard the better, and if that’s the case then what do I do with these besides turning it into giant paperweights?

Thanks for everyone’s eyes on this rather interesting build, hopefully the process of taking it apart to figure out what it is has been fun for other members here.
Superhawk996
That was awesome! Thanks for posting all the photos!
jd74914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 18 2020, 06:38 PM) *

I don’t have an eye for good versus bad on 914 heads. Cadiz be reusable or would it be smarter to go with a more standard genuine Porsche to eat her head that’s been ported etc.?

My immediate thought is the more standard the better, and if that’s the case then what do I do with these besides turning it into giant paperweights?

Thanks for everyone’s eyes on this rather interesting build, hopefully the process of taking it apart to figure out what it is has been fun for other members here.

This is very neat to see! Thanks for posting all of the pictures!

Its not really a matter of good vs. bad; these are very unique and made to work as a full engine combo. I would write off rebuilding this thing as a normal motor though. You’d be ahead of the game just working with something stock if standard is your goal. The cost here to change heads you be huge, everything has been made to work with different cylinders and likely there is a bunch more custom on the bottom end (besides the extra studs). It’s interesting to see they still used copper head gaskets. You might think with all of this work you’d see fire rings or something different.

I’m getting the distinct impression you just want to make a normal T4 out of this; that’s really be a shame since someone very clearly put hundreds of hours into building this thing. If that’s your goal I’d put it in some classifieds for trade of a more stock engine to build from. smile.gif
Mark Henry
Hard to tell with the grime in the pic, are the cylinders biral or nickasil?
Inside cylinder, hard magnetic pull is biral, but very slight magnetic pull is nikasil.
Tdskip
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 19 2020, 02:18 AM) *

This is very neat to see! Thanks for posting all of the pictures!

Its not really a matter of good vs. bad; these are very unique and made to work as a full engine combo. I would write off rebuilding this thing as a normal motor though. You’d be ahead of the game just working with something stock if standard is your goal. The cost here to change heads you be huge, everything has been made to work with different cylinders and likely there is a bunch more custom on the bottom end (besides the extra studs). It’s interesting to see they still used copper head gaskets. You might think with all of this work you’d see fire rings or something different.

I’m getting the distinct impression you just want to make a normal T4 out of this; that’s really be a shame since someone very clearly put hundreds of hours into building this thing. If that’s your goal I’d put it in some classifieds for trade of a more stock engine to build from. smile.gif

Good morning - thanks for the detailed response.

I'm not really sure what I am going to do with this - mainly following up on a promise to pull it apart so we can collectively figure out what the heck it is. Think of it as 914 archeology. biggrin.gif

To be fully transparent I am also using this to learn about custom engine builds and how it all has to come together. I've been itching to dig into an engine as it's one of the relatively few things I haven't done on the various vintage cars I've had.

My question about the heads mainly was oriented around using 2L heads as a starting point for a big bore build - the heads on this were kind of a paint to live with as they had weird spark plug angles and you had to pull the intake manifolds to remove the plugs (which made tune up and compression testing etc a certain amount of brain damage).

Good coaching however, and very much appreciated.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 19 2020, 05:54 AM) *

Hard to tell with the grime in the pic, are the cylinders biral or nickasil?
Inside cylinder, hard magnetic pull is biral, but very slight magnetic pull is nikasil.

Good morning Mark - thanks for the expertise.

I got a hard magnetic pull, I tested with one of those dropped bolt magnetic wands and it firmly attached with strong pull.
Tdskip
Pistons off. You can still see the cross hatching in the bore, didn’t expect to see that.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Anyone familiar with these wrist pins?

Happy Sunday all.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Huh - these just slide right out. Was not expecting that.

Pistons are stamped TRW.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Yikes! Looks like I had a three cylinder - the driver side front rocker assembly was totally loose.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 24 2020, 12:42 PM) *

Yikes! Looks like I had a three cylinder - the driver side front rocker assembly was totally loose.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

That's not good.
mb911
I so love this setup.. Someday I will build a type 4 turbo 914
Tdskip
Click to view attachment

Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 24 2020, 05:43 PM) *

I so love this setup.. Someday I will build a type 4 turbo 914

No no no Ben, you need to build a turbo 2.3l that was seemingly put together with a gallon of RTV. Then you’d be living...

Hope you are doing OK up there.
mb911
Things are ok here.. Feeling like I am legend at the moment..

Still think it would be fun to build that engine correctly
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 24 2020, 09:16 PM) *

Things are ok here.. Feeling like I am legend at the moment..

Still think it would be fun to build that engine correctly

@mb911 - I think I am going to tear it completely apart and then build it as a normally aspirated engine. External cooler oil cooler and sensible build - then plan to do it all over again in 30k?
barefoot
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 24 2020, 02:16 PM) *

Huh - these just slide right out. Was not expecting that.

Pistons are stamped TRW.

Click to view attachment

TRW made forged pistons for OEM V-8's back in the day, I'd used 11:1's for my Chevy small block build back then. Good stuff !!
Tdskip
@barefoot - thanks for the response and info. I'll put these in the "save" pile then.

Time to start getting into how this thing was set up, started a related thread on

Compression ratio

Thanks gentlemen.
Tdskip
Look at this weird welding on the center of the heads in between the exhaust manifold.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.