Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Any suggestions/pictures of oil cooler setups/postitions? Anyone using electric fans or 3.2L Carrera type setup in the fender well with small radiator/shroud and fan?
If I buy the track car I am looking at the only mechanical issue that needs to be addressed is an oil cooler.
Thanks
ArtechnikA
not nearly as much room in a 914 fender as a 911; theirs are as wide as a 7" headlight, but ours are only as wide as the turn signal tunnel.

what works in a track car is a front-mounted cooler, with the exhaust air ducted either out over the top through a hole in the trunk lid, under the car a la 914/6GT or 911 RSR, or possibly through inner fenderwell vents like tha V8 guys get hot air away from the radiator.

the Carrera cooler is good if you have access to factory parts cheap, or FluiDyne makes excellent coolers if you go aftermarket. (THe Earl's/SerckSpeed or Mocal coolers are widely available and cheaper, but not quite as efficient i don't think...)

there are lots of pictures here showing front-mounted coolers, and the GT duct parts are available if you like that "factory-correct" look.

fans won't help you at speed - and might actually hurt. fans are for AC cars in traffic; track cars don't really benefit..
davep
Rich is correct. At 5 MPH the airspeed will exceed whatever the fan is capable of. Above that the fan is an obstruction to airflow, and you can overspeed the fan bearings.

Perhaps the engine oil cooler can handle the idle conditions while the oil cooler in the nose can handle the high speed conditions. Much like carbs with idle and full throttle circuits.
neo914-6
Dan,

You are welcome to see the setup for a 2.7 on my ex-track car I bought from a local racer. It is mounted in the front with the exit in the floor. lines are run in the drivers side rocker panel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.