Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: period correct blaupunkt radios
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We have all discussed radios, but thought since I was taking some pics for a customer that I would post. The original blaupunkt frankfurt (writing only about frankfurt now) ordered as an option from the factory (a very rare occurrence) or from the dealer had two different designs over the 70-76 run: 70-12/73 and 1/74-76 (do not get me wrong, the dealer installed later on the earlier and vice versa) but BASICALLY these were the cut offs. The difference was the face and surround. Early had a chrome surround with rounded edges and late had a black surround with square edges. The later looked at the time more modern and less reflective for safety standards.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

As you can see two types are displayed along with both the usa and the european faces. The am fm bands are very slightly different but the european will work in the usa. HOWEVER the european face is not correct for any usa car, so if looking for one, if you can get the usa face your 914 would be more correct
gms
Probably want to get @Mike Fitton in on this
gms
here is a European Köln

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
brcacti
GREAT to see the original type radios for these cares. I am SO HAPPY with my old radio I put in recently
johnhora
Nice examples!
Johny Blackstain
cool_shades.gif
burton73
Waiting for chrome surround black face to match the vent panel.

Bob B

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 24 2020, 03:12 PM) *

Bob B

Your dash is killer beer.gif ! May I ask where you ordered your chrome surround from?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
true basket weave dash face! Nice work, really!

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 24 2020, 01:12 PM) *

Bob B

brcacti
My recent install, love the old radio's. Its a 75-76 era for a 74, one year off I think.Click to view attachment
DickSteinkamp
Cheap skate 914 owner...

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
From a ‘71
rgalla9146
IMHO the likely versions for early cars.
CoronaMike
The PO of my car gave me a Blaupunkt radio/cassette player that he said was the original radio. It's certainly not a factory radio - but the date on the back does say 1974 - so I'm wondering if it was a dealer installed radio.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Jan 25 2020, 12:54 AM) *

The PO of my car gave me a Blaupunkt radio/cassette player that he said was the original radio. It's certainly not a factory radio - but the date on the back does say 1974 - so I'm wondering if it was a dealer installed radio.

They were all dealer, vendor or owner installed. The factory didn't equip teeners with radios.
shane
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes definitely a 75 76 radio, my 76 came with one of these from new

QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 24 2020, 03:19 PM) *

My recent install, love the old radio's. Its a 75-76 era for a 74, one year off I think.Click to view attachment

rgalla9146
I just noticed that the USA versions always have the word 'Blaupunkt" on the face
Euro band versions simply have the blue dot
For some reason there are many Euro versions in the US
Intact wiring for speakers, power and ground is nearly impossible to find.
Original Hirschmann antenna and OE fender bracket are nearly impossible to find.
Wisi (or Wasi ?) supplied antennas also.
The upper antenna in the photo corroded away at the bracket. Typical rust belt result.
rfinegan
here is my 75-76 Koln from a euro 911
Rob-O
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 24 2020, 01:35 PM) *

Your dash is killer beer.gif ! May I ask where you ordered your chrome surround from?

I just did a restore on my Frankfurt and reinstalled it in my car. I got the chrome surround from a place in Germany called Königs Klassik. The chrome surrounds work but aren’t the kind that snap over the dial faceplate. Instead you have to secure it using the studs for the volume and station dials. It works and looks good though.

As a side note I also bought the speakers they claim are for the 914. They fit but not very well. If they’re not shimmed from the mounting holes on the speaker panels they’re an ultra tight fit. If you shun them they end up hitting the metal of the kick panel next to the paper heater hose.

https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de/en
brcacti
So great to see those old original radios, thanks for sharing
burton73
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 24 2020, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 24 2020, 03:12 PM) *

Bob B

You have to ask Eric @PMB. The one for the radio is ordered. Custom vent panel Redline and mod by PMB

Bob B

top picture from George is what is on the way.Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
This one was installed by dealer and still there.
I unhooked the wires to it in the early 70's.
Car made it's own music..

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Here is what we put in my Six. I am not really a stereo, loud music kind of guy. I just wanted a radio in there that could have come in the car when new. Very basic with the stock two speakers and nothing else. In my mind, the engine is the music I love.
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 26 2020, 02:25 PM) *

Here is what we put in my Six. I am not really a stereo, loud music kind of guy. I just wanted a radio in there that could have come in the car when new. Very basic with the stock two speakers and nothing else. In my mind, the engine is the music I love.
Click to view attachment

agree.gif My GT project. The speaker pods are vacant.
burton73
Eric got the radio face plate from Europe. This looks just right.

M471 not GT on mine

Bob B
gandalf_025
Just found this in a box.
No idea of year....
Looks like a spider made a home in it.

Click to view attachment
brcacti
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jan 29 2020, 11:20 AM) *

No idea of year....

Click to view attachment

I'm sure that is an original radio for the 914, probably someone on here can say exactly what year, my guess is between 1972-76.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
74.5 through 83

QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 29 2020, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jan 29 2020, 11:20 AM) *

No idea of year....

Click to view attachment

I'm sure that is an original radio for the 914, probably someone on here can say exactly what year, my guess is between 1972-76.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
also if you want, the ipod connector will plug right in to that radio

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 26 2020, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 26 2020, 02:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif My GT project. The speaker pods are vacant.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Just came across this and it is on the way to us, originally an option for a 1975 1976 ONLY blaupunkt frankfurt am fm stereo! We have ipod connectors that directly plug in to the back of the radio as well. Some one has already posted a picture. This was exactly the same radio I had in my 1976 914 that I purchased in 1976 with only 3000 original miles on it.Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This one is correct for a 8/69-12/73 production 914Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and finally a correct one for 1/74-12/75 productionClick to view attachment
Olympic 914
Does anyone have any info on this radio? It is stereo with front and rear channels. I don't know what the knob controls are supposed to do but it sounds terrible. I have it hooked up to a 400 W clarion amp on two channels that is not bridged and running through infinity speakers.

I believe controls SHOULD be F/R fader, R/L balance, and Tone. But all that happens it just sounds bad differently. Also running an amplified Hirshman antenna.

Don't really care if its not perfectly period correct.

Click to view attachment

RolinkHaus
Anyone take the plunge on this?

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Don't lynch me for this, but that new radio does not look bad. beerchug.gif
brcacti
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jan 26 2020, 10:28 AM) *

This one was installed by dealer and still there.
I unhooked the wires to it in the early 70's.
Car made it's own music..

Click to view attachment

Great that you still have that old radio even if you don't listen to it. Someone already mentioned they don't listen to the radio either, I agree sometimes I listen to it softly sometimes not at all
brcacti
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 15 2020, 06:56 AM) *

Does anyone have any info on this radio? It is stereo with front and rear channels. I don't know what the knob controls are supposed to do but it sounds terrible. I have it hooked up to a 400 W clarion amp on two channels that is not bridged and running through infinity speakers.

I believe controls SHOULD be F/R fader, R/L balance, and Tone. But all that happens it just sounds bad differently. Also running an amplified Hirshman antenna.

Don't really care if its not perfectly period correct.

Click to view attachment

I have to put my antenna up so it sounds ok
brcacti
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 15 2020, 09:46 AM) *

Don't lynch me for this, but that new radio does not look bad. beerchug.gif

Does not look bad AT ALL, just depends on what each wants. Looks good in there.
brcacti
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 14 2020, 04:42 PM) *

Thanks for showing it, mine is one year off, but the one year does not bother me
mjsdt914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 14 2020, 05:42 PM) *

Is this a stereo unit? There is no indication as there is on the earlier version...?
fixer34
As long as we are playing 'show me yours, I'll show you mine..', anyone have or seen one like this? Was in my '70 when I bought it in 1977. Can't see any manufacturer logo on the front, bottom or back. Still works although I rarely turn it on. The button above the right dial is a mono/stereo select I believe and lights up when a stereo station is selected.

Click to view attachment
DennisV
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 24 2020, 09:25 AM) *

We have all discussed radios, but thought since I was taking some pics for a customer that I would post. The original blaupunkt frankfurt (writing only about frankfurt now) ordered as an option from the factory (a very rare occurrence) or from the dealer had two different designs...As you can see two types are displayed along with both the usa and the european faces.

I am trying to get to the bottom of what would have been original for a 1970 914-6, where the Vehicle Description sheet lists:
M453 Blaupunkt Frankfurt US retractable antenna with loudspeaker & noise suppression

Is M453 the same as model number 7 639 670?

If concerned with correct year, the leading character of serial number would be A (69/70) or B (70/71)?
I'm referencing DerWhites Blaupunkt Radio Identification site, which I realize was originally created for 356 but lists radios through 1975.

Would that radio have had a face plate?
Referring to 914 and 914-6 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity III. The reference photo there shows it with no face plate.

The car currently has:
  1. Motoroloa AM/FM in the dash
  2. Speakers in footwell
  3. Hole in driver front fender where antenna would go
Thanks for clarifying.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(DennisV @ Jul 23 2022, 09:21 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 24 2020, 09:25 AM) *

We have all discussed radios, but thought since I was taking some pics for a customer that I would post. The original blaupunkt frankfurt (writing only about frankfurt now) ordered as an option from the factory (a very rare occurrence) or from the dealer had two different designs...As you can see two types are displayed along with both the usa and the european faces.

I am trying to get to the bottom of what would have been original for a 1970 914-6, where the Vehicle Description sheet lists:
M453 Blaupunkt Frankfurt US retractable antenna with loudspeaker & noise suppression

Is M453 the same as model number 7 639 670?

If concerned with correct year, the leading character of serial number would be A (69/70) or B (70/71)?
I'm referencing DerWhites Blaupunkt Radio Identification site, which I realize was originally created for 356 but lists radios through 1975.

Would that radio have had a face plate?
Referring to 914 and 914-6 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity III. The reference photo there shows it with no face plate.

The car currently has:
  1. Motoroloa AM/FM in the dash
  2. Speakers in footwell
  3. Hole in driver front fender where antenna would go
Thanks for clarifying.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 27 2021, 04:07 PM) *

As long as we are playing 'show me yours, I'll show you mine..', anyone have or seen one like this? Was in my '70 when I bought it in 1977. Can't see any manufacturer logo on the front, bottom or back. Still works although I rarely turn it on. The button above the right dial is a mono/stereo select I believe and lights up when a stereo station is selected.

Click to view attachment

This could be a Sapphire, dealer installed used in a lot of VW’s, I replaced mine with a Blaupunkt Charleston it had ARI!
Beach914
Putting this one in my Bumblebee. I bought it at Bruce's swap meet earlier this year.
Click to view attachment
jdamiano
My car came with a crap Kmart 8 track. Got this mint radio on eBay from a guy in Alaska for 250 a couple months ago with most of the mounting hardware. It looked unused. George at AA hooked me up with the dash plate and the rear mounting clip. Added a Bluetooth module to the auxiliary input and now I can stream Dark Side of the Moon right from my phone.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jul 23 2022, 07:36 PM) *

My car came with a crap Kmart 8 track. Got this mint radio on eBay from a guy in Alaska for 250 a couple months ago with most of the mounting hardware. It looked unused. George at AA hooked me up with the dash plate and the rear mounting clip. Added a Bluetooth module to the auxiliary input and now I can stream Dark Side of the Moon right from my phone.

That Blaupunkt Frankfurt is the most complimentary choice for our early dashboards.
It is period correct and the perfect match to the heat/defrost control surround.
It is often seen in similar era 911s that have only a single speaker.
We are lucky that 914s have two speakers available. We can choose the stereo
version of the Frankfurt without having to cut our door panels.
See the picture in my earlier reply.
For early cars Perry, Damiano and Gandalf have the right units properly mounted.
DC_neun_vierzehn
I thought Becker Europas were options as well. Haven’t seen a mention of them yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.