Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 Transmission Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sharper
So my 914 is a converted 6 cylinder with a 915 transmission and Boxster shifter and cables. I went to a car meet this morning and it felt like the rear brakes were locked up when I tried to back into a spot. Luckily I was able to pull forward and park (felt like the brakes released). However, on the way home I realized it was the tranny acting up. It shifted fine up through the gears but I couldn't get it into gears when downshifting. When I came to a stop, I had a hard time getting it into 1st; but then it shifted fine up through the gears. I'm hoping it is something as simple as an issue in the linkage since this cable set up isn't the best. Maybe the cables got loose somewhere along the way.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had some thoughts on whats going on and what else I may need to look at when I decide to climb under there to fix it. Thanks!
Mark Henry
No clue but 996 has two cables and the ball end can pop off one end at the trans if the end is weak, likely where I'd start looking. Is this a custom mod? Post a pic.
mepstein
I'd like to see pics just because I have a 915 that I'd like to do a cable shifter.
Steve
I would check the cables first. You could also call Patrick Motorsports. He used to sell the 915 cable setup. As far as I know now he only sells the Wevo setup. I am running Martin Botts 916 kit with my 915.
sharper
Here are a few pics from a couple years ago and I haven't changed anything.
mepstein
Thanks
Luke M
QUOTE(sharper @ Jan 25 2020, 05:51 PM) *

I would start looking at the cable ends/cups. Then those hose clamps that are holding the cables to the bracket. Check for any lose hardware as well.
Mark Henry
The ends look the same as 996, likely out of a boxster.
Gearup
QUOTE(sharper @ Jan 25 2020, 05:51 PM) *

Did you mount the Boxster shifter directly to the floor or is I elevated at all? If not elevated how do you think iris positioning is for comfortable shifting? Just curious as I know who have the Boxster cable shifter create elevated brackets to mount the shifter on. Thanks
sharper
Did you mount the Boxster shifter directly to the floor or is I elevated at all? If not elevated how do you think iris positioning is for comfortable shifting? Just curious as I know who have the Boxster cable shifter create elevated brackets to mount the shifter on. Thanks
[/quote]

The housing is mounted on top of the center tunnel and is farther back than where the stick is traditionally at. To me the position is just fine for shifting.
Gearup
[quote name='sharper' date='Jan 27 2020, 06:19 AM' post='2780967']
[/quote]

The housing is mounted on top of the center tunnel and is farther back than where the stick is traditionally at. To me the position is just fine for shifting.
[/quote]

Thank you! I am excited about my Boxster S tranny!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.