Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI cold start valve need advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, my experienced VW mechanic put in my xr700 electronic ignition he said it runs well but said my bad fumes may be a FI cold start valve sticking. Would love to get mechanics input from this forum on that, is it easy or hard to put in, can a non mechanic put that in and how much about does it cost for one?
Thank you
TheCabinetmaker
Just disconnect the hoses and attach a double ended barb connector. Your in AZ. You don't need it. It doesn't work till temps hit 39 degrees
TheCabinetmaker
Where do you smell the gas?
Rand
Your profile says you are in Phoenix. I doubt your CSV is even in the equation. You can bypass it to test. Just eliminate it from the mess for now.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Probably not the valve, could be the air flow meter flap sticking, the air gap not set on the electronic ignition or the timing not correct, or low compression due to bad valve adjust and or a bad head temp sensor
. The cold start valve on the 1.8 fires at 60 degrees or colde

QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 30 2020, 04:18 PM) *

Hello, my experienced VW mechanic put in my xr700 electronic ignition he said it runs well but said my bad fumes may be a FI cold start valve sticking. Would love to get mechanics input from this forum on that, is it easy or hard to put in, can a non mechanic put that in and how much about does it cost for one?
Thank you

Rand
Sounds like the doc is in ljet mode. Is this Djet?
brcacti
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 30 2020, 05:09 PM) *

I think L jet as someone guessed before, I have no idea smile.gif
pete000
Bad fumes? could it just be a bad charcoal filter to the gas tank? I hear they can die.
brcacti
Seems to me to be running very rich saw gas fumes in the rear of the car, does not appear to be using any oil. level stays the same
rjames
Are all of the FI components original and/or correct for your engine?
brcacti
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 30 2020, 06:01 PM) *

Are all of the FI components original and/or correct for your engine?

YES, everything is original as far as I can tell, the experienced VW mechanic said also original distributor when installing the electronic ignition today. Seems to be running very rich saw gas fumes coming out the rear at times, no use of oil and dip stick seems to stay the same level.
Rand
If you are seeing "fumes" out the exhaust something is way off. Does it have more of a white or blue tint?

TheCabinetmaker
Pull all the spark plugs and check for one that's wet, or very black.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the initial subject was designated as 74 1.8, so I figured that was for which fuel injection system he needed advice. The main problem calling rich running is the sticking air flow meter flap caused by lean backfire

brcacti
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2020, 09:30 AM) *

the initial subject was designated as 74 1.8, so I figured that was for which fuel injection system he needed advice. The main problem calling rich running is the sticking air flow meter flap caused by lean backfire

Hello,.......................is the air flow meter flap the SAME PART as the cold start valve?
jcd914
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 31 2020, 11:11 AM) *

Hello,.......................is the air flow meter flap the SAME PART as the cold start valve?

No the Cold Start Valve and Air Flow Meter Flap are quite different.

Cold Start valve don't fail that often.
To test, you can easily disconnect the fuel supply hose and plug it off and see if your "overly rich" smell goes away.

What diagnosis did your mechanic do before suggesting it might be the Cold Start valve?

Overly rich L-jet is usually an Air Flow Meter problem.

Jim
ndfrigi
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 31 2020, 11:11 AM) *

cold start valve

Click to view attachment

air flow meter

Click to view attachment
brcacti
Hello, here is a pic of my cold start valve I assume it is left of the two hoses and blue electrical part inside the metal tube ???Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
brcacti
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 30 2020, 04:49 PM) *

Probably not the valve, could be the air flow meter flap sticking, the air gap not set on the electronic ignition or the timing not correct, or low compression due to bad valve adjust and or a bad head temp sensor

Thank you

Thanks, since my mechanic installed the xr700 today and advanced the timing 5 or 8 plus I need to wait to see if I have the bad smells any longer since a few people mentioned that the timing could be the problem, I think he changed it, so I guess I have to wait and observe for now, runs good
ndfrigi
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jan 31 2020, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 30 2020, 04:49 PM) *

Thank you

Thanks, since my mechanic installed the xr700 today and advanced the timing 5 or 8 plus I need to wait to see if I have the bad smells any longer since a few people mentioned that the timing could be the problem, I think he changed it, so I guess I have to wait and observe for now, runs good

nice! now time to enjoy driving it!
ndfrigi
Here is the pic again to reply on your personal message. from a vanagon but pretty much the same inside.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.