Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-Jetronic/Engine Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Banham361
Hello There

Please be gentle as I am New to air cooled technology but I can be a quick learner.

I am about to rebuild my 75 1.8 motor to a 2055cc. My question is: do i have to either change or upgrade the L-Jetronic FI to cope with the increased power/capacity.

Many Thanks
Tony

PS...............HAPPY BREXIT DAY piratenanner.gif
Tdskip
Welcome Tony - good to have you with us on the forum.

Short answer - you should be fine as far as FI goes if everything else is healthy.

Longer answer - this is a pretty frequent topic of discussion and there is a wealth of material here. Easiest way to find it is to actually use Google to search this site. Try something like this;

"914world.com 2056 Ljet"

But omit the quotes, you'll find some excellent prior discussions that way. By all means do ask follow-up and clarifying questions.
Porschef
Greetings

I too am running a 2056 with an Ljet system. Will file my disclaimer relatively quickly here but I have done some tinkering/adjusting/replacing and have gotten the car to the point where I’m very happy with how it runs.

Suffice to say that your engine will run with the factory system. The three items that I’ve found made the most difference are, in no particular order, a wide band AFR meter, a larger throttle body, and a 123 distributor. My only complaint, if I can call it that, is running at initial start up. I’d like to be able to turn the key and experience an elevated idle speed followed by a proper idle. I do need to feather the throttle for about 30 seconds at cold start until it will run by itself.

That said, you’ll appreciate the extra oomph provided. beerchug.gif
Banham361
Thanks Guys

Porchef..........did you use the standard camshaft.

Tony
Porschef
No

The engine was rebuilt featuring a 9550 cam, Keith Black pistons and AA cylinders.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 1 2020, 01:00 PM) *

Greetings

I too am running a 2056 with an Ljet system....
My only complaint, if I can call it that, is running at initial start up. I’d like to be able to turn the key and experience an elevated idle speed followed by a proper idle. I do need to feather the throttle for about 30 seconds at cold start until it will run by itself.

Same here I took a known Ljet system off of my 914 stock 1.8 and put it on a customers 2056, w/#73 cam. Had every part including the dizzy.
My 1800 started turn of the key, never had to touch the gas, but now the 2056 cold I had to start the teen like a carbed engine. After that it worked flawlessly.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 1 2020, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 1 2020, 01:00 PM) *

Greetings

I too am running a 2056 with an Ljet system....
My only complaint, if I can call it that, is running at initial start up. I’d like to be able to turn the key and experience an elevated idle speed followed by a proper idle. I do need to feather the throttle for about 30 seconds at cold start until it will run by itself.

Same here I took a known Ljet system off of my 914 stock 1.8 and put it on a customers 2056, w/#73 cam. Had every part including the dizzy.
My 1800 started turn of the key, never had to touch the gas, but now the 2056 cold I had to start the teen like a carbed engine. After that it worked flawlessly.

That is the same thing that happens on Betty's car. When it had a stock cam, it would start and idle great, even cold. With the Raby 9590 cam, we have to hold the throttle open to get it to start, and it won't idle until it gets some temp into the engine.

Once it is warmed up, it runs and idles great!
Porschef
Ok, so then it’s not just me... glad I’m in good company beerchug.gif

Both descriptions apply. However, the larger throttle body and the 123 helped tremendously.

It’s as if the AAR is no longer a factor. dry.gif Makes me wonder if the factory unit won’t allow quite enough unmetered air through on startup. Or maybe I should just be content with things as they are...
BeatNavy
Not to get this thread TOO far off track, but my 2056 D-Jet with 9950 does same thing when cold. Also glad to hear I'm not the only one. I ended up drilling another small hole in the throttle body plate based on a thread where I saw Jake said "it needs more air!" Didn't seem to help.
jim_hoyland
Agree : that a 1-2-3 Distributer and larger TB are a big plus. I’m running 96 mm pistons and 2 liter crank; no change to cam.
Starts up fast, idles initially around 1700, then settles in at 90o
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.