Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a Racecar Clone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Justinp71
So I'm thinking of making my car a street clone of the Brumos car. Basically run the decals, but still keep it street legal to drive it to car shows and the local roads. Since the Brumos car is still racing in vintage racing series is there any issue in this anyone knows of? If I showed up at Monterrey historics could I get into trouble? Still don't know for sure if I will do it, but I think it would be real cool.
jmz
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 3 2020, 12:22 PM) *

So I'm thinking of making my car a street clone of the Brumos car. Basically run the decals, but still keep it street legal to drive it to car shows and the local roads. Since the Brumos car is still racing in vintage racing series is there any issue in this anyone knows of? If I showed up at Monterrey historics could I get into trouble? Still don't know for sure if I will do it, but I think it would be real cool.

There are lots of Brumos clones. I don't think you will be sued if that is your concern?
Justinp71
QUOTE(jmz @ Feb 3 2020, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 3 2020, 12:22 PM) *

There are lots of Brumos clones. I don't think you will be sued if that is your concern?

Thanks. Yes I just have no idea what the rules are on it. Seems like everyday some one is getting in trouble for different copy right infringements.
Charles Freeborn
If you call it what it is - a tribute - and don't try to say it's an original Brumos, I can't see what would get them in a snit over it. Use a paint code that's different (still the color but not the exact code) and there's your defense.
mepstein
I would just make it the way you want. Lots of race car tributes out there. 10x more in the 911 world. It’s usually only a pretty blend when you try to sell something that’s trademarked.
URY914
If you need photos I have several hundred.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
raynekat
There is no way you'll get into any trouble for replicating or making your car look exactly like the Brumos car.
Have fun and enjoy your car.
Too much worry in life today.
914forme
@URY914 Paul, yes please post all of them you want. I love 59, I have photos of the details of the car, never spent time for glamor shots. Snodgrass, and Haywood where very nice an approachable about 59. Bob even gave me some of the Haywood Cola, still have a can.

BTW 59 was cloned by Brumos originally until the real 59 reappeared out of a dirt barn floor in the lower Americas.

And run real Mini-lites if you can find them, nothing bugs me more the the ascetics of the clones. Lug holes bored into the wheel spoke, original mini-lites did not have these. It is a subtle detail that makes the wheel drooley.gif

Now make it happen, much better than some of the other choices out there.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 7 2020, 07:55 AM) *

@URY914 Paul, yes please post all of them you want. I love 59, I have photos of the details of the car, never spent time for glamor shots. Snodgrass, and Haywood where very nice an approachable about 59. Bob even gave me some of the Haywood Cola, still have a can.

BTW 59 was cloned by Brumos originally until the real 59 reappeared out of a dirt barn floor in the lower Americas.

And run real Mini-lites if you can find them, nothing bugs me more the the ascetics of the clones. Lug holes bored into the wheel spoke, original mini-lites did not have these. It is a subtle detail that makes the wheel drooley.gif

Now make it happen, much better than some of the other choices out there.

I know a guy that can machine mini-lite blanks to any pattern. Superb work.
https://vintageeng.com
Justinp71
Thanks all. What color is it? At first I was thinking he was more red, but looking at more photos I think it's more like the orangy pheonix red?

My car is Scarlet red... so it'd be a bit off. Probably still look good as a similar looking race car.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.