Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very high idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sbruzek
My 1973 2.0 has a very, very high idle. 30000, even higher to 50000, if you disconnect vacuum hose at aux air looking for a leak, or stuck. Only thing that lowers idles down a little, to 25000 or so, is disconnecting vacuum line to the pressure sensor. Pulling off any vacuum lines and plugging them don’t lower the idle any.

This started after I replaced one leaking fuel injector. I did put on new seals with the new and old injector on that side. All the vacuum lines are new and vacuum is very good and strong on all vacuum lines. Pressure sensor holds a vacuum fine.

Any suggestions?

I did set timing to red mark per manual as I noticed distributor moved a bit when working. It was a bit loose so I set timing and tighten distributor down good. But had to set timing at 25000 rpm as I could not get it any lower at correct timing marks.
I do have an oil leak at the oil cooler seals that is getting worse. Is that a vacuum leak?
Starts up great and runs good just have a crazy high idle.

Steve B
BeatNavy
Most likely you still have a vacuum leak somewhere. Perhaps a hose is connected incorrectly. Timing that is too advanced can cause a high idle, but not as high as you describe. Oil cooler seals leaking won't cause a vacuum leak.

I'd verify you got the injector seal, and injector itself, seated correctly, and then I'd reference a 2.0 vacuum line diagram and go through it again. Pay particular attention to connections to/from AAR, PCV, MPS, and decel valve.

IPB Image
sbruzek
Wow! I’ve been in the garage since your reply. Thank you so much. Idle is back to normal!

I double checked all the vacuum hose and they were fine.

I pulled out the 2 injectors that I had put new seals on. I replaced the new inner seal “small ones” with the old ones I had kept, re installed them and that fixed the high idle.

I think the new seals were a bit harder that the old ones so they didn’t seal well. I had thought the old ones were bad because they were kind of soft. They looked fine but were a bit soft. Turns one the soft ones worked better.

THANK YOU!!

Steve B
BeatNavy
beerchug.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(sbruzek @ Feb 5 2020, 06:04 PM) *

I think the new seals were a bit harder that the old ones so they didn’t seal well. I had thought the old ones were bad because they were kind of soft. They looked fine but were a bit soft. Turns one the soft ones worked better.

Thats odd, normally its the old ones that get rock hard. Definitely want them to be soft enough to seal properly.
TheCabinetmaker
More than likely, one of the injectors was cockeyed in the hole, and you fixed it when reinstalling. How would l know that?
JawjaPorsche
My manifold air intake hoses looked good but after I put clamps on them, my high idle stopped. Two clamps per hose.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you have knocked off or broken a vacuum line or fitting, or the throttle is stuck. Removing the pressure sensor line just richens it up excessively drowning the engine and lowering the idle.
It is a simple problem though

quote name='sbruzek' date='Feb 5 2020, 02:38 PM' post='2783404']
My 1973 2.0 has a very, very high idle. 30000, even higher to 50000, if you disconnect vacuum hose at aux air looking for a leak, or stuck. Only thing that lowers idles down a little, to 25000 or so, is disconnecting vacuum line to the pressure sensor. Pulling off any vacuum lines and plugging them don’t lower the idle any.

This started after I replaced one leaking fuel injector. I did put on new seals with the new and old injector on that side. All the vacuum lines are new and vacuum is very good and strong on all vacuum lines. Pressure sensor holds a vacuum fine.

Any suggestions?

I did set timing to red mark per manual as I noticed distributor moved a bit when working. It was a bit loose so I set timing and tighten distributor down good. But had to set timing at 25000 rpm as I could not get it any lower at correct timing marks.
I do have an oil leak at the oil cooler seals that is getting worse. Is that a vacuum leak?

Steve B
[/quote]
ctc911ctc
Are those number in metric units? Seems that there is an extra zero??? poke.gif

smile.gif

[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Feb 6 2020, 10:31 AM' post='2783568']
you have knocked off or broken a vacuum line or fitting, or the throttle is stuck. Removing the pressure sensor line just richens it up excessively drowning the engine and lowering the idle.

Any suggestions?

Steve B
[/quote]
[/quote]
sbruzek
[quote name='ctc911ctc' date='Feb 6 2020, 10:11 AM' post='2783578']
Are those number in metric units? Seems that there is an extra zero??? poke.gif

smile.gif

Yes I got carried away a bit. Sorry about that. Idle is fixed. It was due to a leak at one of the fuel injectors.

Thanx

[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Feb 6 2020, 10:31 AM' post='2783568']

Any suggestions?

Steve B
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
sbruzek
Thanx to all for your help and suggestions.

Idle is fixed now. It was due to a leak at one of the fuel injectors. Could have been I just had one of them in crooked or new seal did not seat well.

Just glad it’s fixed. : piratenanner.gif Thanx again to all.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.