Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
It is an accepted fact that the ORIGINAL Pertronix Ignitor (not the II or II versions) will fail if the ignition is left on and the motor is not turning. My question is HOW LONG does the ignition have to be on before the Pertronix burns fails? I have carbs and like to turn my ignition on to prime the bowls for about 10 seconds prior to cranking the engine. Will that result in Original Pertronix failure or does it have to be on for a more extended period? I know that I could wire an independent switch to activate the fuel pump, but am trying to avoid that if unnecessary. Thanks for any input.

Ansbacher
raynekat
Pertronix are magnetic points.
Shouldn't matter how long you leave the ignition on.
It's not like "points."
The shouldn't fail in this mode of leaving the ignition on.
I've had these in a couple of cars and never had a problem ever.
914werke
This issue isnt how long, but in the event that the magnetic PU/inductor happen to be aligned in that circumstance (Ign. key on), coil current can be allowed to flow and overload its circuit....I think
Ansbacher
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 6 2020, 06:54 PM) *

Pertronix are magnetic points.
Shouldn't matter how long you leave the ignition on.
It's not like "points."
The shouldn't fail in this mode of leaving the ignition on.
I've had these in a couple of cars and never had a problem ever.

The "original" Pertronix Ignitor WILL fail if ignition is left on. That is why Pertronix added safety circuitry in the Ignitor II and III versions to prevent that. I just want to know how long of an exposure to ignition on juice without cranking will take it out- seconds, minutes, hours?

Ansbacher
Tdskip
As said directly above that is a major No No. Common failure cause that people overlook and then get upset at Pertronix over.

Ignition off unless running.

How long OK to leave on, that is a tough one. Minute or less but that is unscientific...
iankarr
I remember reading somewhere in the installation instructions a while back that they recommended "no more than 30 seconds." But get the II wink.gif
76-914
agree.gif 30 seconds is the critical mark. beerchug.gif
brcacti
JUST WONDERING, is this issue something I have to worry about with the xr700 ?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(brcacti @ Feb 7 2020, 01:41 PM) *

JUST WONDERING, is this issue something I have to worry about with the xr700 ?

No,

Pertronix 1 I think it would take more than 30 seconds, but who knows. I've replaced a few for customers, but I've never personally had one fail.
When ever I work on body electrical I just pull the + lead off the coil, MSD, etc.
cosm3os
Is there a way to tell if I have I II or III. Been doing electrical work, and I know I've had the ignition on
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.