Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 Way Flasher Question:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
The 4-way flasher (hazard) switch flashes red and all four corners flash as they should. The question is should the green turn signal indicators in the tach illuminate with the 4-ways as well? Not sure why I think that they are supposed to, but they currently do not. Car is a late '73.

Back story is that I have been trouble shooting some electrical stuff recently including some funky 4-way flasher stuff. @chi town and @bdstone914 diagnosed that I had the black and gray wires in both turn signal buckets inverted. Everything is now operating as it should, but can't recall if those turn signal indicators should flash too?

Multiple relays were checked and parking brake flashes as it should.

Anybody know?
lierofox
I know on the 74/75 single indicator ones it flashes.

Looking over the wiring diagram for it, with the way the 70-73 dash indicators are wired... it's looking like they DON'T flash because they're being fed 12v on both sides of the bulb, and only the 4 way switch does?
Spoke
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 16 2020, 09:28 PM) *

So you've tried multiple flasher relays and they all behave the same? I believe the tach turnsignal indicators should light up with 4-ways on.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 17 2020, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 16 2020, 09:28 PM) *

So you've tried multiple flasher relays and they all behave the same? I believe the tach turnsignal indicators should light up with 4-ways on.

I have tried two new Wehrle relays and they are both not working correctly. One keeps the E-brake light indicator solid and they other has it flashing very quickly.

Click to view attachment

The Hella TBB4 relay in the car is working correctly as evidenced in the E-brake, turn signal and Hazards flashing at the correct speed.

This is a known problem with the Wehrles as they all come with the generic Porsche part number 914.618.303.11 , but there were diffferences in the older stock. I recall seeing previous threads on this.
anderssj
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 16 2020, 10:28 PM) *

The 4-way flasher (hazard) switch flashes red and all four corners flash as they should. The question is should the green turn signal indicators in the tach illuminate with the 4-ways as well? Not sure why I think that they are supposed to, but they currently do not. Car is a late '73.

Anybody know?

My '72 has always worked as you describe, with switch flashing red and turn signal indicators off.

Hope this helps.

FlacaProductions
@lierofox - I can confirm that, too. '74 single turn signal indicator flashes with red knob flashing as well.
StarBear
Mine ('74), too. Have had a lot of bad/miswired hazard flasher relays with all sorts of different sounds and actions. Have been using NOS, as haven't found ANY new ones that work and sound correctly.
Spoke
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 17 2020, 01:03 PM) *

I have tried two new Wehrle relays and they are both not working correctly. One keeps the E-brake light indicator solid and they other has it flashing very quickly.

Looks like the Wehrle 914-618-303-11 relays may have some issues. Below are the comments from a couple of guys on Pelican who had similar issues as you have.

For LED turnsignals, I resell the EP26 LED-compatible flasher which solves many issues especially when using LED turnsignals. Works also with incandescent lights.

914-618-303-11 on Pelican Parts

Clark Allen
Feburary 2nd, 2018
Wherle relay does not work
After buying this item, I was told that the very low load on it when only the hand brake lite is on will not blink properly. Guess what, my source was right. The load is so low that the relay hyper clicks to the point that it just buzzes. If you pull the hazard knob everything works fine.... more load and it works. But these guys will sell it to you anyway. Buy an LED relay, or an OEM brand. $18 Wherle will not work. They tell me to keep it, they are not taking it back.

Paul
January 10th, 2017
Works, sort of...
This relay works fine except for the brake light function. With the parking brake engaged, the brake light on the dash doesn't flash like it's supposed to. Instead, it glows dimly, accompanied by an annoying buzzing sound. I replaced this with a good used OEM part and all is well.
914_7T3
For reference, the below photo shows the correct relay for a late '73 car...

Click to view attachment

Still trying to figure out if the turn signal indicators should flash with the 4 Ways, any '73 owners out there? Anyone, anyone? @bbrock @superhawk996
scallyk9
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 17 2020, 03:09 PM) *

Looks like the Wehrle 914-618-303-11 relays may have some issues. Below are the comments from a couple of guys on Pelican who had similar issues as you have.

For LED turnsignals, I resell the EP26 LED-compatible flasher which solves many issues especially when using LED turnsignals. Works also with incandescent lights.

Clark Allen
Feburary 2nd, 2018
After buying this item, I was told that the very low load on it when only the hand brake lite is on will not blink properly. Guess what, my source was right. The load is so low that the relay hyper clicks to the point that it just buzzes. If you pull the hazard knob everything works fine.... more load and it works. But these guys will sell it to you anyway. Buy an LED relay, or an OEM brand. $18 Wherle will not work. They tell me to keep it, they are not taking it back.

Paul
January 10th, 2017
Works, sort of...
This relay works fine except for the brake light function. With the parking brake engaged, the brake light on the dash doesn't flash like it's supposed to. Instead, it glows dimly, accompanied by an annoying buzzing sound. I replaced this with a good used OEM part and all is well.

Interesting. I have Spoke's LED lights all around and his modified EP-26 relay. Love them. All is good except when I replaced the missing switch at the emergency hand brake, the warning lamp flashes normally but the green turn signal indicator is solid on...no flashing. The turn signals work normally with the emergency brake on or off.
914_7T3
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Feb 17 2020, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 17 2020, 03:09 PM) *

Clark Allen
Feburary 2nd, 2018

Paul
January 10th, 2017
Works, sort of...

Interesting. I have Spoke's LED lights all around and his modified EP-26 relay. Love them. All is good except when I replaced the missing switch at the emergency hand brake, the warning lamp flashes normally but the green turn signal indicator is solid on...no flashing. The turn signals work normally with the emergency brake on or off.

Try verifying if the e-brake switch is grounding to the body. May need to scuff the paint under the switch with a scotch pad.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.