Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New owner - Turbo, should I keep?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lilchopshop
Hello all,
I’ve been a 914 enthusiast for years and I just bought my first one. ‘73 2.0. The car is in good shape structurally, but it hasn’t been on the road in 31 years. I’m still figuring out long term plans for the car and I would appreciate the forum’s advice on what to do with the aftermarket turbo on the car. At this point, I only know that the engine turns over but I have no idea of the condition of the internals or the condition of the turbo. After doing some quick internet searches and learning the long running joke that “you can’t turbo a 914”, I think I’ve figured out that the turbo I have is a Crown Manufacturing unit from the early ‘80s. The engine is still fuel injected, but it looks like some of the original FI parts were removed when the turbo was put in (there is no air filter?)

I’m pretty sure that I don’t want a stock setup for the long term. I’d like some extra Hp over stock and have aspirations of taking the car to some AutoX events. But mostly I want a reliable driver that I take out on nice days.

So what d’yall think? Should I include the turbo in the plans for this car’s future? If not, what recommendations does anyone have for the engine, keeping my desires in mind?

Thanks!
914forme
Neat piece of history.

So you want to auto-x. First thing is to read the rule book. Turbo in SCCA bump up the ladder, but might fit into vintage classes.

PCA, bump up the ladder

NASA bump up the ladder and you have to goto a dyno so your placed in the right class. NASA gets it. aktion035.gif

That being said it is your car, and if you just want to show up and drive around cones, that is cool. I have done that before, when I got an itch to auto-x something. Showed up in a newly scurried Miata once. Still had the crap tires and did nothing but get it running the day before. Hard ass skinny tires = drift every corner fun. One of the slowest cars on the course, but I had tons of fun that day.

Engine wise, if it was me and it fit in the class, 2056, or 2270 based off the type-4. I ran a nicely built 2056 for years in NASA, and my competition was a supercharged Miata. Tight course I prefer the 914, in more open stuff, PCA and Corvette club, I prefer taking an E36 M3 we used to run. Courses are generally more open with these two organizations in my area.

Now I show up for the fun of it, and will run what ever I have at the tim
Spoke
welcome.png

I'm a flame-test guy. If the engine turns, I'd change oil, check the plugs, check the fuel system and see if it starts. If the turbo works then more power to you. If it doesn't, then you're right back to where you are now.
Cornerlot
I’d like some extra Hp over stock and have aspirations of taking the car to some AutoX events. But mostly I want a reliable driver that I take out on nice days.

So what d’yall think?

1974 turbo kit technology on a auto-x circuit? I'd bet it would be slower than a stock 914, turbo lag when you need low end torque. Keeping it up on boost would not allow for sharp throttle response.
thelogo

Rebuild the engine and it should run another 30+ years
If you know turbos . built it out

If you dont know engines . leave it to the pros
Luke M
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Feb 17 2020, 07:41 AM) *

Hello all,
I’ve been a 914 enthusiast for years and I just bought my first one. ‘73 2.0. The car is in good shape structurally, but it hasn’t been on the road in 31 years. I’m still figuring out long term plans for the car and I would appreciate the forum’s advice on what to do with the aftermarket turbo on the car. At this point, I only know that the engine turns over but I have no idea of the condition of the internals or the condition of the turbo. After doing some quick internet searches and learning the long running joke that “you can’t turbo a 914”, I think I’ve figured out that the turbo I have is a Crown Manufacturing unit from the early ‘80s. The engine is still fuel injected, but it looks like some of the original FI parts were removed when the turbo was put in (there is no air filter?)

I’m pretty sure that I don’t want a stock setup for the long term. I’d like some extra Hp over stock and have aspirations of taking the car to some AutoX events. But mostly I want a reliable driver that I take out on nice days.

So what d’yall think? Should I include the turbo in the plans for this car’s future? If not, what recommendations does anyone have for the engine, keeping my desires in mind?

Thanks!

welcome.png

Is that the 914 that just sold in Caledonia, NY ??
Where in NY are you located?
914_7T3
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 17 2020, 08:23 AM) *

welcome.png

If the turbo works then more power to you.

Literally laugh.gif
mb911
I like the turbo setups.. Would do it on a 4cyl car for sure if I had one.
get off my lawn
Turbo on my 914 put me in AI class way back when, pretty much non-competitive but fun as hell.
suspension, tires, brakes get you around an AX track fast, but they can't make smiles like positive intake manifold pressure.

If you want AX ribbons, ditch the turbo.
Otherwise go for it and have a blast.
get off my lawn
oops, almost forgot: you can't turbo a 914 wink.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 18 2020, 05:23 AM) *

welcome.png

I'm a flame-test guy. If the engine turns, I'd change oil, check the plugs, check the fuel system and see if it starts. If the turbo works then more power to you. If it doesn't, then you're right back to where you are now.

That's all I would do .
Lilchopshop
Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I spent the last couple of nights examining the car and finding all the preliminary things I want to fix before putting the car on the road. Of course, the more I look, the more I find...

I’m not really a “flame test” guy and I’m seeing way too many sins committed by the PO to make me realize that “flame testing” this car might end in actual flames.

So I started some disassembly and I got a closer look at the turbo. I also found the throttle body! It was hiding above the transmission. blink.gif

Pics if anyone is interested or wants a laugh.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.