Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Shroud Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
No pics handy but I have a 2.4 long block I need to install the oil cooler (new) , fan and shroud from the old engine. Hate the Haynes manual. Are there any good step by step threads with some pics? I have a handful of nuts and parts. Thanks
ndfrigi
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 20 2020, 10:05 AM) *

No pics handy but I have a 2.4 long block I need to install the oil cooler (new) , fan and shroud from the old engine. Hate the Haynes manual. Are there any good step by step threads with some pics? I have a handful of nuts and parts. Thanks

check this youtube.

https://youtu.be/fy6sfBcuCOc
7TPorsh
Thanks I saw that but no good close ups.

Do I need the thermostat flaps? It's a big engine and I'm in California. Car will not be driven cold. Can I just leave that flap rod assembly off?

Thanks
poorsche914
Yes, you need the flaps.

driving.gif
GregAmy
Edit: DISREGARD. If you do that then you'd be blocking off your oil cooler.

You could leave them off buy you'd need to block the area where the oil cooler flap goes down. Chris Foley replaces that with an aluminum panel when the flaps are removed for his oil cooloer kit. It's the panel in the upper left in the below photo.

IPB Image

injunmort
yes
7TPorsh
SOunds like a yes , that the flap on at least the oil cooler side has a purpose when the engine is hot. Looks like i'll be straightening that rod out.

Anyone have a decent rod? Mine tweaked taking it all apart.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 26 2020, 01:29 PM) *

Anyone have a decent rod? Mine tweaked taking it all apart.
'

I probably have a dozen or more. How many do you need?

Clay
Mark Henry
If VW felt the thermostats wasn't needed for California 914's (plus millions of beetles, buses, T3, T4...not to mention Latin America) can you imagine how money they would have saved. rolleyes.gif

This was/is a company that didn't install rear window defogers to southern cars just to save a buck.
barefoot
Here's some info: YES you need the flaps !

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Mark summed it up very well. Still amazed that this question pops up. It is an urban legend that should have died a horrible death by now.
maf914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Feb 26 2020, 07:41 PM) *

Here's some info: YES you need the flaps !

Click to view attachment

Barefoot,

Thanks. That is a great illustration of the flap positions and how the air is directed to the oil cooler when the engine is hot, or when the flaps are in the default open position. I agree this was often misunderstood, and continues to be.
bbrock
The other misconception is that you don't need the thermostat if you live in a warm climate. Optimum oil temp is ~200ish F and from what I understand, most engine wear occurs at cold start and during warm up. Faster warm up means less wear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.