Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 2.0 (4-cyl) Piston Rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
Which piston rings should I buy for the MAHLE 914 2.0 "Euro" pistons/cylinders? I was planning on buying the 94mm set from Pelican.

The pistons and cylinders are still ok, but I want to replace the rings while I have it apart. Are the stock piston rings (94mm) compatable with the "Euro" pistons?

Any suggestions?
type47
piston ring sets are sized to the diameter of the piston, so since the diameter of the US version is 94mm and the euro is also 94mm, they can use the same ring set. now the manufacturer of the ring set you should buy is another story. i just bought a generic set based upon the part number (039.xxx.xxx, whatever the # is...) but hopefully,some experienced person can recommend a brand name for a ring set. the only brand i think you should avoid is TOTAL SEAL as i have read some problems w/typeIV. there are also DEVES but i don't know how they rate relative to other brands.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jul 4 2005, 11:24 PM)
Which piston rings should I buy for the MAHLE 914 2.0 "Euro" pistons/cylinders? I was planning on buying the 94mm set from Pelican.

The pistons and cylinders are still ok, but I want to replace the rings while I have it apart. Are the stock piston rings (94mm) compatable with the "Euro" pistons?

Any suggestions?

You're asking if you should use stock rings on stock pistons? Yes. Avoid the aftermarket rings, especially "total seal", which don't appear to work well in our engines. The Cap'n
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (type47 @ Jul 5 2005, 05:35 AM)
piston ring sets are sized to the diameter of the piston, so since the diameter of the US version is 94mm and the euro is also 94mm, they can use the same ring set. now the manufacturer of the ring set you should buy is another story. i just bought a generic set based upon the part number (039.xxx.xxx, whatever the # is...) but hopefully,some experienced person can recommend a brand name for a ring set. the only brand i think you should avoid is TOTAL SEAL as i have read some problems w/typeIV. there are also DEVES but i don't know how they rate relative to other brands.

The dia. on the euro and US spec pistons are 94mm, but I believe the ring thickness ( ring lands ) are a different size.

Measure them before ordering, might save you the time & trouble of sending them back, if there the wrong ones.
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jul 4 2005, 11:24 PM)

Any suggestions?

Which piston rings should I buy for the MAHLE 914 2.0 "Euro" pistons/cylinders?

How about MAHLE?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.