Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
But I don't want to use anything caustic...

Anyone recommend a product that truly cleans.but doesn't etch or otherwise damage..with a simple application, and a hose down??? driving.gif
mepstein
I use brake clean
Sprout
If they’re just straight up aluminum, I use fine steel wool and Mother’s aluminum polish.
stownsen914
Won't steel wool of any kind, scratch the wheels?

I haven't found any magic formula for cleaning wheels - just elbow grease. One tip is to be careful which brake pads you use. Metallic pad material rusts to wheels after it gets wet. Once that happens, I haven't found anything other than abrasives that will get it off.
rhodyguy
Try a product that contains Oxalic Acid. 'Bar keepers Friend' is a very gentle abrasive product that has OA in it. Cleans stains on SS cookware like crazy (I use OA crystals in water on my cedar deck prior to the Cabot stain too. Works GREAT!). Do a small test spot. Check YouTube for using OA on aluminum.
infraredcalvin
Waxing your wheels will help, depending porosity and texture. If painted try ceramic coating them. These will help, but have never heard of a no elbow grease solution....
Sprout
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Feb 25 2020, 07:43 AM) *

Won't steel wool of any kind, scratch the wheels?

I haven't found any magic formula for cleaning wheels - just elbow grease. One tip is to be careful which brake pads you use. Metallic pad material rusts to wheels after it gets wet. Once that happens, I haven't found anything other than abrasives that will get it off.

Mine cleaned up really nicely, no scratches. I used a slightly heavier gauge steel wool with the polish, then switched to fine (or maybe extra fine) and went over them again with the polish. I still need to clean up the inner black area, but won't use steel wool there!
before:
Click to view attachment
after:
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
nothing just cleans with a spray down, one has to use elbow grease, as there is always a film left. We have had good success with the Sonax wheel cleaner, which softens the brake dust and does not etch alloy wheels, and the a good brush, towel, and yes toothbrush (I always save ALL of my old toothbrushes!!
Like one of the previous comments, for the painted wheels, waxing really helps

QUOTE(porbmw @ Feb 25 2020, 12:03 AM) *

But I don't want to use anything caustic...

Anyone recommend a product that truly cleans.but doesn't etch or otherwise damage..with a simple application, and a hose down??? driving.gif

76-914
Mothers, cotton rags and elbow grease. Howmuch elbow grease depends upon how often I polish the Fuch'ers. lol-2.gif Twice a year takes about 5-10 mins a wheel. It's easier if I remove the wheels and stack them 2 high to avoid bending over. beerchug.gif
Jamie
Rather than steel wool, I recommend the gray ScotchBrite pads available at Lowes. These pads don't rust or stick like splinters in your fingers., I've used them for years in finishing my woodturnings piratenanner.gif
DRPHIL914
Mothers works well, I would not use a scotch brite pad or steel wool if you are just doing a clean and deoxidize you will scratch the metal and then you are in for a 6 sept process to get those deep scratches out.

StarBear
For basic cleaning, including brake dust/film, P21S Wheel Cleaner has worked for me, especially for the insides. Hadn't thought of light steel wool/Scotch Brite and polish for finishing the outsides; nice tip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.