Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pops out of 3rd Gear at Decel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Shift Linkage: new bushings at console, firewall, and coupler.
Goes into all other gears but third seems "soft" instead of "solid" engagement.
Upon deceleration (and randomly if not holding the lever), pops out of 3rd gear.

I haven't had a chance to check fluid level yet... plug is being difficult dry.gif

Do I need to keep fine tuning the linkage adjustment or is third gear probably shot?

Thanks!

driving.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 26 2020, 11:35 AM) *

Upon deceleration (and randomly if not holding the lever), pops out of 3rd gear.

I haven't had a chance to check fluid level yet... plug is being difficult dry.gif

Do I need to keep fine tuning the linkage adjustment or is third gear probably shot?

Thanks!

driving.gif

Adjust the linkage while in neutral. Loosen the clamp bolt and push the gear lever forward till it moves about 1/4 inch or so at the coupler and tighten it back up.

That may help, no guarantees. But it is worth a try before you spend the money on a rebuilt gearbox.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
try adjusting a bit, shortening the linkage, and then if that does not work, hold it into gear for awhile and see if it starts going in again

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 26 2020, 10:35 AM) *

Thanks!

driving.gif

poorsche914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2020, 01:00 PM) *
Adjust the linkage while in neutral. Loosen the clamp bolt and push the gear lever forward till it moves about 1/4 inch or so at the coupler and tighten it back up.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2020, 01:19 PM) *
try adjusting a bit, shortening the linkage, and then if that does not work, hold it into gear for awhile and see if it starts going in again

I have made the adjustment as suggested but perhaps I need just a bit more confused24.gif
Headed to the garage shortly. Will give the "hold in gear" option a try.
This gearbox has basically been dormant for 25 years.

Thanks!

EDIT: adjusted it 1/4" and then even more but eventually lost ability to hit 4th.
Drove it a couple miles holding in 3rd but it still wants to pop out :-(
1st and 5th click right in and stay put.

driving.gif
ClayPerrine
Sorry.. you are down to replacing the gearbox. If you are desperate to drive it, then swap it out with the one in the creamsicle, the send it to Dr. Evil and get it rebuilt.

DRPHIL914
Worn synchros and dog teeth but, what about fluid levels? When I bought my car it was doing that , so after a while I was told check fluid- it had about 29% of the required gear oil!!! So a full clean flush and new fluid helped and got me thru a couple years until I went to transmission cloning and rebuilt it .
poorsche914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2020, 03:09 PM) *
... If you are desperate to drive it, then swap it out with the one in the creamsicle...
Yeah... will do that if a fluid change doesn't help.

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 26 2020, 03:21 PM) *
... so after a while I was told check fluid- it had about 29% of the required gear oil!!! So a full clean flush and new fluid helped and got me thru a couple years until I went to transmission cloning and rebuilt it.
Checking the fluid level is my next step but I have to get the plug off first!

driving.gif
theer
Make sure to take the FILL plug out first.. so that you know you can refill before you empty all the fluid!

Mmm hmmm - ask me how I know that.

poorsche914
QUOTE(theer @ Feb 26 2020, 03:55 PM) *
Make sure to take the FILL plug out first.. so that you know you can refill before you empty all the fluid!

Mmm hmmm - ask me how I know that.

Excellent advice that I have seen mentioned many times so, yeah... top plug first beer.gif

driving.gif
Mikey914
Check the trans and motor mounts. Decel will twist the geometry of the linkage. It may be providing enough twist to to just that.

just an idea
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 26 2020, 08:21 PM) *
Check the trans and motor mounts. Decel will twist the geometry of the linkage. It may be providing enough twist to to just that.

just an idea

Thanks, Mark. Motor mounts are fairly new as I replaced them less than a year ago after one had disintegrated which lead to shifting issues blink.gif
Trans mounts are good as well.

Have drained the gear oil and bought new. Will fill and test again tomorrow.

driving.gif
Mikey914
Did you do the mounts on the engine to the bar. many folks miss those. If the outside edge ones were toast, they probably were not far behind.
Hate to ask the question again, but they are less obvious.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 26 2020, 10:15 PM) *
Did you do the mounts on the engine to the bar. many folks miss those. If the outside edge ones were toast, they probably were not far behind.

Yes, the motor to bar mounts are fairly new. Transmission mounts are in good condition.
Outer bar mounts are just a bolt, washers and nut. confused24.gif
Mikey914
Just thinking that 3rd is an odd gear to be worn to that extent. At least not without significant wear on the lower gearing.
ndfrigi
how about shifting it to 3rd gear manually by the console and see if u can move/run the car from 3rd gear.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 26 2020, 11:26 PM) *

Just thinking that 3rd is an odd gear to be worn to that extent. At least not without significant wear on the lower gearing.

That is what I was thinking too, hopefully a linkage adjustment issue but if not Clay provided the direction.
porschetub
I always presumed they pop out of gear when the load comes on after shifting not on deceleration confused24.gif .
mrholland2
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 26 2020, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 26 2020, 10:15 PM) *

Yes, the motor to bar mounts are fairly new. Transmission mounts are in good condition.
Outer bar mounts are just a bolt, washers and nut. confused24.gif

Are all the weird little pieces in the linkage good? is there play at the console? That limits your adjustment tolerances.
poorsche914
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Feb 28 2020, 03:08 PM) *
Are all the weird little pieces in the linkage good? is there play at the console? That limits your adjustment tolerances.

Yes, all the bushings are new or in good condition.
I finally got fluid changed but haven't had a chance to test drive due to a dead battery dry.gif

Question: Looking at the rear console shift bushing... which way should it be inserted? From the front or from the rear? It is currently from the front and I am thinking there is some interference on the rearward side.

driving.gif
BENBRO02
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 26 2020, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2020, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2020, 01:19 PM) *

I have made the adjustment as suggested but perhaps I need just a bit more confused24.gif
Headed to the garage shortly. Will give the "hold in gear" option a try.
This gearbox has basically been dormant for 25 years.

Thanks!

EDIT: adjusted it 1/4" and then even more but eventually lost ability to hit 4th.
Drove it a couple miles holding in 3rd but it still wants to pop out :-(
1st and 5th click right in and stay put.

driving.gif

I had the exact same problem when I put a dormant car on the road. I thought the gearbox was ready for a rebuild but my mechanic adjusted the linkage and it now works fine. Don't assume you need a rebuild until all else is exhausted. If I remember correctly, mine was far worse when I first started driving it. It gradually became better but took a linkage adjustment to fix it completely.
Tdskip
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 28 2020, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Feb 28 2020, 03:08 PM) *

Yes, all the bushings are new or in good condition.
I finally got fluid changed but haven't had a chance to test drive due to a dead battery dry.gif

Question: Looking at the rear console shift bushing... which way should it be inserted? From the front or from the rear? It is currently from the front and I am thinking there is some interference on the rearward side.

driving.gif

Check out second page for picture

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...42046&st=20
poorsche914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 28 2020, 09:16 PM) *
Check out second page for picture

Thanks... checked last night and it is installed correctly. I even checked clearance for when linkage is in 3rd gear and there was no interference.

Looks like I am going to end up swapping this 'box with the 'box from my LE. dry.gif

driving.gif
Bartlett 914
From reading all this, I would guess the problem is worn dog teeth and or worn synchro ring. This may be helped with an operating sleeve adjustment moving it closer to the third gear.
poorsche914
Well... finally got the time to swap transmissions and, happy to say, I now have third gear piratenanner.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.