Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
Took the exhaust system off of the car

------ '74, 2.0L all stock -------

to replace a stud (see my last post on the lost stud) I wanted to get new nuts to go with the new studs so i researched and bought brass nuts advertised by EMPI

The ones I took off are steel with copper thread inserts, I have no experience with either, thoughts?

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
I like the 11mm heads (on 8mm) nuts for exhaust and carb manifolds. I always use a bit of anti seize too.
jmitro
ha. less than 2 minutes ago I placed an order for some exhaust manifold nuts/ studs/ time sert repair.

I used this thread for reference, and bought the ACN nuts linked in the thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=286730
IronHillRestorations
You want a flange nut. They are much stronger than a nut with a washer, as well as easier to use.

You do not want a prevailing torque (locking) fastener as they will make the exhaust studs back out. There are prevailing torque copper coated flange nuts that are used on other German cars (BMW I think) that often get sold for our cars. I've used these as well, after running a tap through them.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Don't use the common copper colored "exhaust" nuts. Really hard on your head studs.

Do use the thin profile 8mm nuts that can be found at Belmetric and McMaster Carr. If you can find them flanged thats even better.

Zach
porschetub
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Mar 4 2020, 03:26 AM) *

You want a flange nut. They are much stronger than a nut with a washer, as well as easier to use.

You do not want a prevailing torque (locking) fastener as they will make the exhaust studs back out. There are prevailing torque copper coated flange nuts that are used on other German cars (BMW I think) that often get sold for our cars. I've used these as well, after running a tap through them.

I used the BMW ones on my 6 motor and on a 4,found them very good and they don't come loose,bought them off Pelican and seem to remember they were cheap enough,good solution.
mepstein
something like this works well.
ctc911ctc
Has anyone used nuts made of brass like the ones in the picture below????

Just curious, not trying to stir the pot! stirthepot.gif

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Mar 2 2020, 09:38 PM) *

Took the exhaust system off of the car

------ '74, 2.0L all stock -------

to replace a stud (see my last post on the lost stud) I wanted to get new nuts to go with the new studs so i researched and bought brass nuts advertised by EMPI

The ones I took off are steel with copper thread inserts, I have no experience with either, thoughts?

Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 2 2020, 08:42 PM) *

I like the 11mm heads (on 8mm) nuts for exhaust and carb manifolds. I always use a bit of anti seize too.

agree.gif

but i like these 8x10 flanged nuts even better!

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Flanged-R...-p/acn-nuts.htm

Really handy to keep your socket from wedging against your exhaust when tightening, especially with headers. Added bonus, the flange keeps the nut from sliding down in your socket before you get it on the stud. I never thought I would get so excited over a nut but I LOVE these things
rhodyguy
NICE! I'm going to get sets for the HEs and intakes. Thanks.
anderssj
Used the 8x10 flange nuts from air-cooled net when reinstalling my HEs a couple of months ago. REALLY nice pieces.
StarBear
This forum is tops - such experience even for a set of nuts! Best source of info.
ctc911ctc
It's not the nuts, it's the Nuts talking about nuts!

party.gif

QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 4 2020, 04:54 PM) *

This forum is tops - such experience even for a set of nuts! Best source of info.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.