Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Weber question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
It’s a fairly major effort to swap out the shaft on a Weber, correct?

I have a pair of 40s we are the shafts are mismatched, the other one does not have this extension on it and I need both to be the short style.

This is for the 912 but air cooled Porsche so I figured why not ask here.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Do you have screws or the rivets on the butterflies? To me, the screws make it easier.

Either way, it's not a small task. It's hard to remove the screws or rivets without damaging something. That's probably mostly because I don't have the proper tools. dry.gif
Tdskip
Thanks for the confirmation, appreciate the coaching.

Root_Werks
And if you want to dump those 40's, I have a set of P11-4's bored to 44's with matching manifolds for a 356/912 engine. biggrin.gif
Tdskip
I have a spare set of 40s and a set of Dels, but I’ll probably mess those all up so I’ll let you know!

Thanks again
rgalla9146
The spring is positioned incorrectly on that carb
Tbrown4x4
Messing with the throttle plates is fiddly. The progression holes are drilled after the plates are installed, so changing anything around can mess up their relationship. Better to have Pierce Manifolds go through them or maybe @ThePaintedMan .

If the relationship between the progression holes and the plates is wrong, you'll have a hard time tuning the carbs.

Also, isn't there a small nut deep in the end of that extension?
Tdskip
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the eyes on the spring, how it came to me.

@TBrown4x4 - Another member here also suggested removing a nut in that shaft opening. There isn’t on in there. Looks like Allen head fitting and you cannot rotate the shaft because it will hit the idle screw housing. Pretty sure the whole shaft needs to come out (on this one anyway).
Tbrown4x4
It makes sense that there isn't enough room for a regular nut. Probably a barrel nut. Put an Allen head down there and hold the shaft. You might also turn in the idle screw so the throttle plates are not touching the carb throats, and turn the Allen wrench against that.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Mar 6 2020, 07:48 AM) *

It makes sense that there isn't enough room for a regular nut. Probably a barrel nut. Put an Allen head down there and hold the shaft. You might also turn in the idle screw so the throttle plates are not touching the carb throats, and turn the Allen wrench against that.

Thanks for the follow up. I don’t see a way for the shaft to separate, I asked for some help over at the 912 forum and one member over there said the shafts are one piece.

Tdskip
Checked again and just can't see a way to rotate the shaft loose as pictured - it must have the long extension assembled and then the narrow (other) side passed through.

So good for a 914, so not going to mess with it, but bad for a 912.
Tdskip
@Tbrown4x4 - you were right.

I came back to this after re-reading your posts and it clicked. Shaft extension off, easy.

Thanks again and sorry it didn’t click.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Nice catch Todd.
Tdskip
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 7 2020, 07:54 AM) *

Nice catch Todd.

+1, thanks for the help gentlemen.

Hoping to get these on the 912 and (fingers crossed) she’ll be a much happier car.
Tbrown4x4
Glad it worked out. Happy to help.
Tdskip
Also realized, as was pointed out, the DPO wasn't using the correct spring set up so I fixed that as well and they now snap shut as they should.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.