Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing rusty jack points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ThePaintedMan
Nicely done. You really made progress quickly and all the pictures you took will be useful in case you ever sell the car. People will know it was done right. aktion035.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Apr 28 2020, 06:35 AM) *
I’ve been chipping away at this project over the past couple of weeks and have made some progress on the passenger side repairs. As with any project like this, there has been considerable scope growth... one thing I am now considering is the addition of a inner long stiffener kit from Mad Dog Motorsports. I figure, since I’m here, now is the right time to do this... the question I have for all of you is, when should I install the stiffeners? Right now, I am just about ready to close up the passenger side long with the new inner rocker panel from RD. Before I do this, I want to coat the inside of the long with something for rust prevention. If I weld on a longitudinal stiffener after I coat the inside, some of the coating will burn off, but if I install the stiffener before I close up the long, I’m worried about warpage. Which is the lesser of the two evils? Anyone have any thoughts?
Don't know if you ever did this, but some of us have used Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating to protect internal channels and in the center tunnel area.

You're doing an awesome job on the repair aktion035.gif
Lilchopshop
Well, it’s been a few minutes since I last worked on the 914 rust repair. I took what I thought was going to be a short break from the car to install some new flooring in my house. Two years later and I have completely remodeled every room on the first floor. While I haven’t been working on the car, I have been thinking about it a lot and lurking on this site every day so I can keep up with all the other great projects you all are working on. I’ve learned so much from watching your projects and I’ve also chosen to go in a different direction with mine. I’ve been gathering parts and ideas and I plan to start a fresh thread here soon to document the build in a more holistic sense. Spoiler alert… there will be water (cooling) involved.

But, before I start that I thought I’d close the loop on this thread and post some pics from some recent work on those jack points…

This is about where I left off two years ago:
Click to view attachment

A mold I made from plaster of what was left of the driver side jack point area prior to demo. I wasn’t sure how or if I would use this, but I thought it might be helpful since there are no patch panels for this area.
Click to view attachment

A wood buck I made to attempt to replicate the recess where the jack point tube gets installed:
Click to view attachment

Making the outer skin of my repair section:
Click to view attachment

Some test-fitting:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Cutting through the outer layer so I can have some stagger in the weld seam joint:
Click to view attachment

Finished the inner layer and plug-welded the two pieces together:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Ready to weld in place:
Click to view attachment
930cabman
Great news, back into the shop. A family member once told me " you are not going to live in the car" progress in the house is always a positive thing. Keep us posted with your progress.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.