Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler suggestions for JLO's V8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
My RH kit for JLO has Flowmaster 40's. Brand new in a box. I've had flowmasters on other cars including my suburban and I don't like the resonance. I want a deep mellow sound for my hot rod.

RH says Magnaflow or Borla's are nice and don't have the harmonic distortion in the car.

Anyone care to weigh in on opinions?

SBC 350 with RH headers.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Dominic
I have a stainless steel Borla muffler on my daily driver VW Scirocco and it sounds great, but not too loud. wink.gif My $.02
914GT
I'm happy with Magnaflows. Mellow sound at idle, no resonances, yet sounds aggressive when time to show off. Use these with wrapped headers, about all you hear cruising highway is wind noise.
bondo
Skline has a single 2 in 2 out muffler on his chalon. I have yet to hear it, but I really would like to someday, as I would like to do something similar.
nine14cats
Hello Guy and Dominic,

Glad to hear of the good sounds (experiences)...

You guys have any part numbers?

Thanks!

Bill P.
Joe Bob
For a V8 car....I would use twin Supertrapps...I have a set of the five inch (wide) in Stainless Steel for sale in the classifieds. I took then off my dual outlet 3.6. The were after twin sport cats....no drone and a pleasant sound.
nine14cats
I've heard that taking the two muffler outs and tying them together then back out with two also cancels noise and doesn't hurt performance too much.

Is this true?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Joe Bob
Yeah a cross over is gud....cuts down on rumble/back fire on decel.
d914
try the three chamber flow masters, the ones you hear under acceleration,but quiet at other times, 70 series???
bondo
I've been told that a crossover before the mufflers is good. Supposedly after the mufflers it's less beneficial. There just isn't room to put it before the mufflers in a 914. That's part of why I want to use a 2 in 2 out muff... having the crossover in the muffler is closer to before the muffler than after the muffler is. (wow, that's a mouthful)
914GT
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jul 5 2005, 05:15 PM)
Hello Guy and Dominic,

Glad to hear of the good sounds (experiences)...

You guys have any part numbers?

Thanks!

Bill P.

I believe mine are P/N 13235, oval 3-chamber offset/offset 2.25". 14" long.
Trekkor
just isn't room to put it before the mufflers in a 914

Oh, but there is...

Sounds great, too. wub.gif

KT
bondo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jul 5 2005, 05:31 PM)
just isn't room to put it before the mufflers in a 914

Oh, but there is...

Sounds great, too. wub.gif

KT

Ooh, that's clever!
Dr. Roger
As soon as I get my motor fired up and installed i'm going to attempt using two Corvette mufflers. I might have to shorten them but the price is right.....

Craigslist. $30 bucks...... =-)

http://b.im.craigslist.org/Cq/sd/RJdXPetHV...mLAjWYxe4V1.jpg

user posted image
BIGKAT_83
I've had 4 different types of mufflers on my 914 V8. I had the Flowmaster 40's on there for less than a 1/2 mile and pulled them off and gave them away.

The Magnaflows are the best by far!

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
sean_v8_914
fdgr
Randal
I really like my Flowmaster 50, but won't be able to tell how much power it costs until we dyno the new engine, i.e., we'll be taking a 40 to the dyno room..
rhodyguy
Edelbrock had a big display trailer at the races last weekend. they seem to have a large selection of new design mufflers. might be worth a look.

k
J P Stein
Dude, it's a Chebbie...Glass Pacs. biggrin.gif
nine14cats
Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll do my homework on the options and report back.

JP....I had glasspacks on my '65 Barracuda fastback with a 273 V8. That thing sounded great! (In 1976!)

Bill P.

Andyrew
mangaflows are great....

I had a resonator tip on mine and it was very quiet.

I cut off the tips and it sounds awesome...

Andrew
aircooledboy
Flowmaster were WAY too freakin loud. I left mine in Georgia with John (PO). laugh.gif Have the Borlas in their boxes. Also too loud. Magnas are better, and I have them on te car now, but even they are a little too loud at idle for my candy-a$$. Makes it hard to order at the drive though. chairfall.gif

I am planning to have a cross over made like Mike at RH suggested pretty quick here. I'll let you know how it works out. beerchug.gif

I swear those AC hose pics are coming Bill. I went to take them the other night, and I couldn't find my "super-duper don't mess up your lug nuts" socket, so I couldn't take the front tire off to get a good shot. damnit. w00t.gif
neo914-6
I like the sound of 5.0L Mustangs, I wonder what they're running. Wouldn't the sound depend on the engine size and how's it's built?

agree.gif , the RH cross-over setup that Mike's "designed' sounded very nice.
nine14cats
Hi Chris,

No problem on the AC pics...we've all been busy.. laugh.gif

I'm going to talk with Mike at RH today to have him send me some pics.

Felix,

Who around us has a crossover setup? Maybe they'll let me check it out....

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.