Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combo Gauge Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
A long time ago I bought a combo gauge with an oil temp gauge. The gauge did not come with a bezel so a planned on installing the bezel I removed from my original gauge today.

In the process I learned that the gauge casing sold to me is identical to my original.

To make it work I would have to drill a hole in the back of the case for the generator dummy light and install a new bulb holder.

My question is can the bulb holders be removed. If not, can they be purchased?

Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
I don't think so but you can try as they are pressed in. Maybe send it out to a speedo shop
jfort
I replaced bulb holders for the turn signal lights in the tach. Found the holders, in really good shape, on eBay.
914forme
Yes it is possible, need a few more parts than just the bulb holder, but these can be found in other combo gauges or created. Piece of heat shrink comes to mind. Just need to divide the light so it lights up the region you want to have light, and only that region.

Press, weld, epoxy, solder, etc.... If epoxy use a latter bulb holder that added ground spade, makes the connection much more reliable.
bdstone914
@Highland

date='Mar 12 2020, 01:24 PM' post='2793554']
A long time ago I bought a combo gauge with an oil temp gauge. The gauge did not come with a bezel so a planned on installing the bezel I removed from my original gauge today.

In the process I learned that the gauge casing sold to me is identical to my original.

To make it work I would have to drill a hole in the back of the case for the generator dummy light and install a new bulb holder.

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

The yellow dot to the right of the silver dot as for a warning light for the Sportamatic. You can add a light there.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 13 2020, 03:20 PM) *

The yellow dot to the right of the silver dot as for a warning light for the Sportamatic. You can add a light there.

That might be the original purpose, but it's a dummy lens and its bulb holder is for the dash light. It would have to be drilled open and you would have to scavenge a light direction tube from another gauge, plus I don't think it's a real lens and then you would have to figure out a new dash light.
Highland
Thanks for all the input.

I drilled a hole and fashioned a mount for the black plastic generator bulb holder. The gauge I purchased had a red lens secured with translucent tape on the faceplate and I only have 2 light tubes.

My question is was it stock configuration to have 2 light tubes for the oil and e-brake dummy lights and the generator dummy light would shine unrestricted or should there be 3 light tubes?

I assume the backlight shield prevents the backlight from lighting up the generator lens. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
@Highland - did you ever figure this out? I am thinking of getting a combo gauge (914-641-101-50) and using the dummy/open indicator as a warning for another application. (as well as moving my temp out of the console to this gauge and then adding an oil pressure in the console in it's place...)

The one I have my eye on already has a red lens in that space as opposed to the clear/opaque one you normally see. It also has a light tube behind/feeding it. It has a manufacture stamp of 10/75 so I'm wondering if that's as-made or if it's been modified.

Looking at the back, the lighting should be: OIL - "extra" - GEN - BRAKE
correct?

Lower tube illuminates the gas gauge area or does it do the Low Fuel light?
If so...what illuminates the gauge as a whole?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

barefoot

The one I have my eye on already has a red lens in that space as opposed to the clear/opaque one you normally see. It also has a light tube behind/feeding it. It has a manufacture stamp of 10/75 so I'm wondering if that's as-made or if it's been modified.

Looking at the back, the lighting should be: OIL - "extra" - GEN - BRAKE
correct?

Lower tube illuminates the gas gauge area or does it do the Low Fuel light?
If so...what illuminates the gauge as a whole?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

My 76 is like what you show, but has a yellow dot where your's show red. I just used this socket for gauge illumination, works OK
FlacaProductions
@barefoot is that the only socket that provides overall gauge illumination? If so, I wonder what lit the gauges if that one was used by the Sportomatic function?
barefoot
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 20 2020, 08:43 PM) *

@barefoot is that the only socket that provides overall gauge illumination? If so, I wonder what lit the gauges if that one was used by the Sportomatic function?

The other 3 sockets are used for (Left to right) brake warning, generator, & oil pressure warning lite. None of these 3 provide any overall illumination.
No idea of sporotmatic (not sure it was an option in 75, 76)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
call hartmut at Palo Alto speedometer he has the answers to all of your 914 instrument questions and is a hell of a nice guy

QUOTE(Highland @ Mar 12 2020, 01:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.