Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpet Tape for big foot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Installed new carpet from 914 rubber about four months ago. Beautiful install great carpet. Now every time I get out of the car I drag my foot across this one spot of carpet and it’s starting to frizzle and fray. I’m sure I’m not the only person that this is happens to. Looking for suggestions on some type of clear tape that’s very durable and won’t peel up easily to put on this edge.
Mikey914
The domestic charcoal is a light duty(less dense) carpet and will not hold up as well as the German. However, you can protect it or other carpet with this inexpensively.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7076...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
brcacti
Because these are old classic type cars I always get in and out slow and careful to avoid bumping/rubbing on anything.
Cairo94507
You might be better served to take that piece into an upholstery shop and have them stitch a nice heel pad on that spot so you solve the problem and it looks like a planned part of the carpet? Just a thought. beerchug.gif
Rob-O
Back in the day there used to be small aluminum (stainless?) threshold covers, usually machine turned. Maybe a set of those if you can find them?

Is that the ‘domestic loop’ material? I’ve found that the German loop holds up better. But the aftermarket carpets don’t have the same backing that the factory had. The factory backing helped hold the carpet in the shape it needed to be in to fit the area it was designed for. It’s the white/clear plastic like material on the back of the factory carpet pieces. That material helped hold the shape of the carpet...and helped the loops to its backing without unraveling.
BuddyV
Let it fray and frizzle..... it's normal.

beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
Fabricate a hard cover.
I made this from fiberglass to define the recess for my hand brake.
Look for a bendable or flexible black plastic sheet. Cut to size, radius the corners,
Attach with four black truss head sheet metal screws.

sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
wes
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 15 2020, 03:10 PM) *

Fabricate a hard cover.
Look for a bendable or flexible black plastic sheet. Cut to size, radius the corners,

Great idea and looks like it belongs there.
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 16 2020, 07:43 AM) *

You might be better served to take that piece into an upholstery shop and have them stitch a nice heel pad on that spot so you solve the problem and it looks like a planned part of the carpet? Just a thought. beerchug.gif

agree.gif she's a difficult area and bound to have issues with other than with squareweave,mine is unworn but faded and trying to look @ solution dyeing if it works ??.
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 16 2020, 07:43 AM) *

agree.gif she's a difficult area and bound to have issues with other than with squareweave,mine is unworn but faded and trying to look @ solution dyeing if it works ??.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Mar 15 2020, 02:43 PM) *

Back in the day there used to be small aluminum (stainless?) threshold covers, usually machine turned. Maybe a set of those if you can find them?

Is that the ‘domestic loop’ material? I’ve found that the German loop holds up better. But the aftermarket carpets don’t have the same backing that the factory had. The factory backing helped hold the carpet in the shape it needed to be in to fit the area it was designed for. It’s the white/clear plastic like material on the back of the factory carpet pieces. That material helped hold the shape of the carpet...and helped the loops to its backing without unraveling.

I can tell from the loop it is the domestic charcoal. Perhaps we just offer up an individual piece at $25 ?
The German wears MUCH better. However, the domestic black we have is at par with the German stuff.

Let me know, I'm thinking maybe we could make a clear protector? something that would be easily removable.
theer
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Mar 15 2020, 05:43 PM) *

I have a set of these in the parts collection that came with Grey Matter. I intend to use them, but if someone is interested in dimensions & pics I'm happy to provide.

Tom
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 15 2020, 07:10 PM) *

Fabricate a hard cover.

that is so cool! i want one of those - make some i bet you will sell fast, or maybe 914rubber would?? @mikey914 @rgalla9146
JmuRiz
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 15 2020, 03:19 PM) *

beerchug.gif

I have a set of those from my car, if anyone is interested....a little different on the door panel though.
bandjoey
It’s the middle level carpet set from 914rubber. Not German. Yes if someone makes cover for that place I’d be interested.
Mikey914
I'm literally about to be gone for 2 weeks. I will have some time to play with these but should per pretty simple.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.